Marantz PM7001 vs PM7003 for Wharf Diamond 9.5

nmurthyk

Hi all,

I am looking to upgrade my amp to Marantz PM7003. but the quoted price is 39.
Is PM7003 is much better than PM7001?
It seems the PM7001 is available at 25k.

And which would better match with Wharf 9.5 speakers.

will there be a significant improvement in SQ over Denon PMA500AE amp.

Thanks.

Hi:

For Diamond 9.5, my vote is for PM7001, can drive with ease the 9.5, that you don't need a 7003 at a price like that.

:)

PM 7001 is more than adequate to drive the 9.5s. If you're only worried about power handling, the 7001 will do the job and sounds good with the 9.5.

I am not worried about power handling. I am looking for improvement in SQ.
I felt that the vocals are not good with the Denon 500AE amp. Trying to find a good amp to improve that.

Hi all,

Thanks.

Why PM7003 @ 39K ..............you can also go for PM8003 @ 38K in New Delhi if cost is not the constraint.

I felt that the vocals are not good with the Denon 500AE amp. Trying to find a good amp to improve that.

You're spot-on regarding the 500AE and its inability to be an all-rounder across the frequency band. Having heard some of the Denon's integrated amps up to 1500AE, I just don't feel they are up to the mark reproducing stereo music across the band.

Having said that, please take away the Denon's from your mind for your Diamond setup, IMO. It's worthwhile to seriously consider the PM7001; having heard it numerous times with speakers like Diamond 9.5, MA RS6, MA BR5, Jamo (forgot model), MS 906i, I can confidently say the PM7001 is indeed a gem and an all-rounder for a warm speaker like Diamond 9.5.

:)

I am not worried about power handling. I am looking for improvement in SQ.

Hi nnmurthyk,
Pardon me if my observation appears blunt.. During an audition last year, I found Norge-1000 (retailing @ 10k approx) much better than Denon 500AE (it was quoted @17k).

BTW after the audition I read a review here >> Denon PMA-500AE Hi-fi amplifier review - from the experts at whathifi.com ... which has stated the SQ issues clearly. OTOH 7001 has been reviwed favourably on this forum, so even without pers exp with 7001 or 7003, I can safely hazard a guess that it would be far better than Denon 500AE.

Regds,

Hi all,

Thanks.

The 7003 is not that significant of an upgrade re: sound quality and power. You should be happy with 7001 and it pairs well with the 9.5s. Marantz is very conservative in its ratings and measures the power with all channels driven (which most other manufacturers dont do). All this means is that they can drive the Wharfs very easily.

They are also good for music - so you should be set for a while.

Looking around on the net, the Denon seems to have a fair bit of problems and is also spec'ed lower. It may not have the power to drive your wharfs well even if it worked all the time.

Looks like the 7001 is good for me. Can anybody tell me where can i get it (for a good price?) in hyderabad. I enquired in Vector systems here but they dont have it. Please let me know about chennai/bangalore also as i am ready to go there to get it.

If you have contacts in Singapore, you must dfinetally get it from there.... Alpha Audio's in Sim Lim square is a reliable place.... Marantz CD6003 costed one of our forum members approx abt SGD350 which converts to 11K, the price for the same in India is 22.5k......

here is there address
Alpha Audio Pte Ltd
1 Rochor Canal Road #01-48, Sim Lim Square, Singapore 188504
Phone +65-6337-9011

pm7001 seems to be out of stock in india. i have asked some shops (in delhi, mumbai - mentioned in this forum). they said it is not available as the production is stopped.

Does anybody know any shop currently have this in stock.
If it is not available then the only option for me is to go for 7003 which is quoted 39k.

check once with Denny @9999016124 Bass & Trable, Dwarka New Delhi.........when I took mine PM8003@38K one month ago that time it was available.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back