Marantz UD5005 blu ray..great offer from hifimart but does it play 3d?

Sneak Preview of the Marantz UD5005

Will be testing it with

(( MOVIES ))

Samsung 51D550
Onkyo NR809
Denon 4311CI
Samsung BDP
(For features, Format playback, 3D capabilities etc)

(( MUSIC ))

Rotel RB-06,
Arcam A70
Denon 4311 CI, Onkyo NR 809 (DAC comparision)
Samsung BDP
and some standalone budget 15k-20k CDP's

Hopefully I get time this weekend to play around with it.

Sneak Preview of the Marantz UD5005

(( MOVIES ))

Samsung 51D550
Onkyo NR809
Denon 4311CI
Samsung BDP
(For features, Format playback, 3D capabilities etc)

(( MUSIC ))

Rotel RB-06,
Arcam A70
Denon 4311 CI, Onkyo NR 809 (DAC comparision)
Samsung BDP
and some standalone budget 15k-20k CDP's

Hopefully I get time this weekend to play around with it.

That is a lovely rig you have :clapping:. Shows your passion for HiFi equipments.

Last edited:
Hi Flash,

Can I rob your rack?(With everything in it):D

Vinod

Lol... yeah ... But before that I need to rob someone else's rack. I've got my eyes on a few FM's equipment

Does this player have a headphone jack?

No, it does not.
A UD player would anyway be connected to a AVR or Integrated so a Headphone jack not featuring on the UD5005 is not a downer

Flash -

waiting eagerly for your review. I am broke this month, but will borrow money (means CC) if your review comes out to be good and complete my impulsivebuying streak with this!

Post it soon :)

I ordered the UD5005 (compulsive buy) and got it delivered last evening. Will post my comments/review once I play around with it

You make me feel better by saying that this was a compulsive buy. My RTi A9 was a compulsive buy too :D.

UD5005 looks are a killer. Waiting for the review.

Hi Flash,

I am too waiting for your review of the Marantz on a more serious note.

(But the robbing the rack option sounds good to me! given the kind of equipment I see on your rack.)

You guys would have seen my scouting for a blu ray player (Pioneer BDP-51FD) ad..... Manoj is helping me out with this aspect in the US.

Vinod

Flash -

waiting eagerly for your review. I am broke this month, but will borrow money (means CC) if your review comes out to be good and complete my impulsivebuying streak with this!

Post it soon :)

Hi Flash,

I am too waiting for your review of the Marantz on a more serious note.

Vinod

Will spend a couple of hours with it tonight and post my take on it by tom night :)

You make me feel better by saying that this was a compulsive buy. My RTi A9 was a compulsive buy too :D.

UD5005 looks are a killer. Waiting for the review.

ha ha .... Yeah impulsive / compulsive buys seem to be the norm here with us Audio/Video Heads...

However the RTiA9's are very good speakers. So it was a good decision.

Flash - waiting eagerly. Does it play ISO? Oppo stopped ISO playback recently and has lost a tiny bit of charm.

Damn completely forgot and not played with it at all ...
Primarily due to one major Reason ....

It does not read NTFS.... My 2 Tb as well as smaller external drives are all in NTFS.
So I either have to format one hard drive in FAT32 or copy data into a Pen Drive.

Another small issue - It does not play FLAC. it does however play other music formats

Will get around the movie experience and playback tomorrow.

FAT32 has limitation of max 4 gb file size. ISO bluray will be way higher than that.

if they add NTFS support, then it could read big iso files. But that does not mean it will play it. Hollywood studios forced Oppo and MediaTek (the decoder chip maker for Oppo) to drop the iso support. I am doubtful any other player manufacturer would venture into that.

The best bet at the moment is buy a Realtek 1186 based media player like HiMedia or its clones. The Micca EP600 G2 plays 3d iso's and costs only $120 from amazon.com

NTFS support has not been added to the UD5005. Like most products of D&M holdings.

I watched a 3D blu Ray last night and compared it my Samsung BDP 6900.

The UD5005 had less ghosting and better motion and overall did a marginally better job. ( Source TV - Samsung 51D550 )

I've yet to try out different movie formats

Well,

I have played a couple of CD's and it does a decent job with stereo. However it does sound a little edgy.
In short it does everything ok - Decent soundstage, good on Vocals however it does sound a tad bright which in a way makes it sound edgy which i mentioned above. It is however quite detailed and instrument separation is good

If you do want to improve on the overall SQ I would use the Digital out from the UD5005 and feed the signal into a standalone DAC.

The UD5005 DAC uses PCM1781 which is a budget DAC and is not known for it exceptional stereo quality

I would rate the overall stereo quality much better than your run of the mill BDP/ DVDp's however you can't you compare it to a dedicated CDP for pure sonic performance.

If Stereo is the main goal I would recommend getting a dedicated CDP
however if you want something that plays Blu rays / SACD / DVD etc. it is a good player

From the little time I have spent with the UD5005

Pro's

1. Decent Stereo quality
2. Plays a lot of formats (not tried many though) Whatever I did try it played it flawlessly.
When fed through the front USB slot. Movie load times are extremely fast.
3. Plays 3D straight out of the box
4. Has a few
5 . Price
6. Has Pure Direct mode which bypasses all video processing
7. Disc Load times
8. Looks - Typical Marantz Design - very pleasing to the eye and goes well with other hifi components aesthetically
9. .......... (can comment after spending more time with the unit)

Con's

1. Does not play FLAC (Major drawback)
2. Does not read NTFS disks (Major Drawback)
3. Start up time is extremely slow - From standby to On takes too long . A rough esitimate would be in the range of 15 - 25 seconds (Not to be confused with Disc loading time)
4. It cannot be switched off completely so it can either be on Standby or on. No button for complete shut off
5. Crappy Menu - Marantz needs to revisit the drawing board and learn from other brands how to design a GUI
5. Lacks Optical Out, It has a Coax Digital out though
6. .......... (can comment after spending more time with the unit)

Thanks for the detailed review Flash. Can you please post the video playback review as well, that would also be extremely helpful!

Cheers

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back