Matching Speakers with Yamaha A-S500

prepress

Dear Friends,

I am thinking to upgrade my speakers:

Amplifier for speaker is : Yamaha A-S500 (RMS 85W pc @8ohms, 120W peak), Attached Yamaha YST-SW315 (250W Subwoofer)

Budget : 30-35K
Room space : 12' X 12'
Music Genres, Preferred : Rock, Pop, 70's-80's (Stereo Songs by R.D., Bappi Lahiri), 90's Bollywood, few latest hindi music.

Note : I play loud (but under 50% Volume) :D I can upgrade my amplifier too if speakers can handle more wattage :D

Thanks,

Book shelf speakers with a proper stand should be good for you.

Its time to find some good places to audition speakers. Following are some speaker options

1) Morduant short mezzo 1
2) Dali Concept 2
3) Usher S520
4) Polk RTI-A3
5) Rega RS1

Happy hunting speakers.

Thanks for for inputs brother, but these brands are not easily available in my city (I guess). Here I can find Klipsch, KEF, JBL, Yamaha, Mission, B&W (not complete series), Wharfedale etc.
What should I do now? :sad:

I would seriously recommend Wharfedale for your Yamaha. You need a bit warm sounding speaker for your Yamaha. Try auditioning Wharfedale DIAMOND 10.2

Yes I want warm sound not bright (like Klipsch, because they use horns).

Yes I want warm sound not bright (like Klipsch, because they use horns).

Place an order with Hari Iyer for his transmission line bookshelf soeaker.
Get the kevlar woofer since you have a bright amp, kevlar woofer will be smooth and warm and should compliment the bright yamaha sound.
The kevlar version is priced around 35 I believe.

http://www.hifivision.com/speakers/29081-review-krypton-audio-k-100b-tl-speakers.html

zlb61s.jpg

Its available for Rs.26,500/- here Dali - Concept 2 - Bookshelf Speaker

I have shopped with them twice earlier and they were good.

Wharf Diamond 10.2 is very similar Dali Concept 2 in the paper but priced Rs.3500/- lesser. If possible try to take an audition with Yamaha and Wharf 10.2 and also with Dali Concept 2 before taking the final call. An audition before purchase keeps dissatisfaction away.

The speaker pic posted in here .... does it not interest you? No queries on that?

It can cut "any" Dali to shreds :), even though, virtually unbranded and with the "Made in India" tag.

@ avidyarthy, Actually I am not sure how many FMs know (and used) about these speakers, also votes for these speakers are not much. So can't say about the SQ.

:) Well, I am using the 'pic's' elder brother. Mine is a floorstander.

BTW, many seniors have auditioned both the FS (at my place) as well as the BS version in Mumbai. Having its first hand experience, the one which I possess can blow any speaker in the 2-2.5 L category out of the sky! Unlike a bass reflex design which one comes across in every nook and corner, usually available at all commercial outlets, this speaker follows the transmission line concept. Read about this design in the internet. Other than the standard highs and mids which virtually remains same in all 'good' designs, the added important feature wherein the TL stands out is in tight, accurate bass. That makes it a winner!

Two detailed threads are present in this Forum, one for the floorstander and the other for the bookshelf. Go thru them.

Obviously, it might not make much sense if one is hell bent on setting up something 'imported' in one's living room.

Would recommend you go with Yamaha as they would be perfect match for your system, NS555 or NS777 or if you have the budget Soavo1 series. you would love floorstanding for music. if you prefer bookshelf NS333 is available at only 16k from Delhi, check on ebay universaltrader, i think. clean natural sound.

Would recommend you go with Yamaha as they would be perfect match for your system, NS555 or NS777 or if you have the budget Soavo1 series. you would love floorstanding for music. if you prefer bookshelf NS333 is available at only 16k from Delhi, check on ebay universaltrader, i think. clean natural sound.

This perfect match syndrome is a pitfall for most newbies. Myself included 3-4 years ago.
There is no such thing as perfect match just because they're from the same brand.
It depends entirely model to model what's a match to what.

And quite honestly the present generation of budget yamaha speakers are nothing special.
The Soavo series is the only good line from yamaha presently however grossly overpriced in India.

Last edited:
true, same brand does not mean perfect match. only point I was making that chances of finding a match are better as I have seen timbre differences between speakers play havoc with the system sound. so that is something to guard against.

:) Well, I am using the 'pic's' elder brother. Mine is a floorstander.

BTW, many seniors have auditioned both the FS (at my place) as well as the BS version in Mumbai. Having its first hand experience, the one which I possess can blow any speaker in the 2-2.5 L category out of the sky! Unlike a bass reflex design which one comes across in every nook and corner, usually available at all commercial outlets, this speaker follows the transmission line concept. Read about this design in the internet. Other than the standard highs and mids which virtually remains same in all 'good' designs, the added important feature wherein the TL stands out is in tight, accurate bass. That makes it a winner!

Two detailed threads are present in this Forum, one for the floorstander and the other for the bookshelf. Go thru them.

Obviously, it might not make much sense if one is hell bent on setting up something 'imported' in one's living room.

Great!! and what was the cost of these FS?

I would recomend Wharfedale 10.1 for your need. Since you have a subwoofer you dont need to go for 10.2 which has a better LF than 10.1.

I use WF 10.2 along with Yamaha AS500 Amp and i am very much happy with this combo. In fact i use this combo for home recording as well. Thought it is not 100% uncoloured, it produce a natural HF & Mid and a punchy bass from 10.2 Since you have a sub, you may go for WF 10.1 which has a same quality with slightly less bass

I would recomend Wharfedale 10.1 for your need. Since you have a subwoofer you dont need to go for 10.2 which has a better LF than 10.1.

I use WF 10.2 along with Yamaha AS500 Amp and i am very much happy with this combo. In fact i use this combo for home recording as well. Thought it is not 100% uncoloured, it produce a natural HF & Mid and a punchy bass from 10.2 Since you have a sub, you may go for WF 10.1 which has a same quality with slightly less bass

Hi Ebenezer, thanks for your inputs. Actually instead of bookshelves I was looking for any floor standers, the speakers which I am using right now are the part of Hi-Fi Systems and its really very warm and soft. But the ONLY REASON for looking another speaker is to make the whole system's look pretty/decent. (Right now it looks like a compromise [Panasonic's are silver, Aiwa are cherry wooden, DIY are black], but SQ is satisfactory) :)

Any reply?

I don't think a budget FS would pair well with this amp.I had paired my MA M4 with the as500 and the sound was just about ok. No clue about the other FS's but then I decided to get a pair BS's.

The mezzo 1 paired really well but was way out of my budget of 20k. Finally settled for the MS Aviano 2. The combo goes pretty well and isnt too harsh for my ears.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back