Measures to Reduce the Boomyness of speakers

Hi Mahiruha,

The Armstrong Sabbia is a good selection. It is a higher performance tile, and will be more expensive. Here are three options:

1. Armstrong Fine Fissured - 40 sq.m. coverage (lower cost, not as attractive visually, resulting reverberation time 0.8 seconds)

2. Armstrong Sabbia - 30 sq.m. coverage (expensive, attractive, lower coverage gives same performance in room)

3. Armstrong Optra - 30 sq.m. coverage ( new product, attractive, good performance)

Check pricing in Kolkata, and then decide.

Regards,
Viren

Last edited:
Hi arj,

For a single absorber (the felt on Mahiruha's snooker table) to be effective, and its presence felt, it has to be in sufficient quantity. If the absorbent coefficient is low, as is the case for the felt, the coverage area has to be large. (Mahiruha would say it's large enough in his room!) In Mahiruha's case, the reverberation times are high, so these subtleties may not be heard.

Anyway, the absorber would effect only the reflected energy in the room. You would still get direct sound from the speakers, which sets the tonality for the system. The reflected sound would tend to be darker than the direct sound.

Regards,
Viren

Hi Mahiruha,

The Armstrong Sabbia is a good selection. It is a higher performance tile, and will be more expensive. Here are three options:

1. Armstrong Fine Fissured - 40 sq.m. coverage (lower cost, not as attractive visually, resulting reverberation time 0.8 seconds)

2. Armstrong Sabbia - 30 sq.m. coverage (expensive, attractive, lower coverage gives same performance in room)

3. Armstrong Optra - 30 sq.m. coverage ( new product, attractive, good performance)

Check pricing in Kolkata, and then decide.

Regards,
Viren

Since this room is also used for HT, checkout the new series of Armstrong Optra. They are available in black color. I would recommend Anutone over Armstrong as Anutone Ceiling tiles have a much higher density(good for controlling low frequencies) and the NRC is excellent across the spectrum.

Hi arj,
Anyway, the absorber would effect only the reflected energy in the room. You would still get direct sound from the speakers, which sets the tonality for the system. The reflected sound would tend to be darker than the direct sound.

Yes, even thin carpets and curtains are only good for taming high and mid frequency reflections. You will have to use Acoustic tiles or High Density Glasswool for taming the lows.

hi Santhol,
thanks for the advise.Do you have any price guidence for these tiles so that I can compare what is the Calcutta premium/discount.:)
Thanks.

hi Santhol,
thanks for the advise.Do you have any price guidence for these tiles so that I can compare what is the Calcutta premium/discount.:)
Thanks.
Mahi, I used Anutone boards for treating my room walls and they cost around Rs.65 per sq.ft plus installation costs. I did the installation on my own with my carpenter. For Ceiling, I made my own home-brew version of RPG's BAD panels. Have a read of below thread to get some ideas of acoustic ceiling. Post#34 describes what I have implemented. It is working quite well.

http://www.hifivision.com/av-enhanc...79-please-suggest-false-ceiling-option-4.html

If you do not want to go the DIY route, I can recommend Anutone to you. Subhash from our forum is using Anutone ceiling tiles and they handle bass very well. Subhash uses a massive Def Tech Trinity Sub, but still there are no rattles.

Mahi, I used Anutone boards for treating my room walls and they cost around Rs.65 per sq.ft plus installation costs. I did the installation on my own with my carpenter. For Ceiling, I made my own home-brew version of RPG's BAD panels. Have a read of below thread to get some ideas of acoustic ceiling. Post#34 describes what I have implemented. It is working quite well.

http://www.hifivision.com/av-enhanc...79-please-suggest-false-ceiling-option-4.html

If you do not want to go the DIY route, I can recommend Anutone to you. Subhash from our forum is using Anutone ceiling tiles and they handle bass very well. Subhash uses a massive Def Tech Trinity Sub, but still there are no rattles.

Hi santhol,
thanks for the info. I managed to locate a Armstrong dealer in Calcutta and they quoted around Rs 71/sq ft for Fine fissured tiles he told me he will come back to me with the pricing details for other tiles.Let me explore all the options including this anutone. Do you mean to say these Anutone guy just come and fit the tiles and its done. Recently I saw in my office where a big amount of false ceiling was done that it is quite a cumbersome process like fitting all those aluminium frames and sorts. Diy is out of question. If the choice of tiles are right is there anyway that those guys can mess it up?
Thanks.

Hi santhol,
thanks for the info. I managed to locate a Armstrong dealer in Calcutta and they quoted around Rs 71/sq ft for Fine fissured tiles he told me he will come back to me with the pricing details for other tiles.Let me explore all the options including this anutone. Do you mean to say these Anutone guy just come and fit the tiles and its done. Recently I saw in my office where a big amount of false ceiling was done that it is quite a cumbersome process like fitting all those aluminium frames and sorts. Diy is out of question. If the choice of tiles are right is there anyway that those guys can mess it up?
Thanks.

hi mahiruha,

the burning question is - where will your table go when the ceiling work is in progress? leaving it there at the workers' mercy gives me the shivers!:sad:

hi mahiruha,

the burning question is - where will your table go when the ceiling work is in progress? leaving it there at the workers' mercy gives me the shivers!:sad:

Hi Suri,
that's a very valid question. The table needs to be dismantled when the work is in progress. Actually the way snooker tables are construcuted nobody is allowed to stand on them as it will do serious damage to the level of the table if not damaging it. So keeping the table isn't an option. Also it is a good opportunity to restretch the cloth which is needed in every 6 months. I am hoping at the end of the process I will have a reverberation reduced room and a faster snooker table.:)
Thanks.

Hi all,
today I finally took the plunge and did the usefulness of proper speaker placement experiment by placing the Lyrita speaker and amp in the Library. The reason I choose that place since it is full of books so they act as good sound absorbers and diffusers and also beacuse it is first time I am getting the opportunity to listen to the Lyrita speakers without any obstruction. The way the speakers are placed like 3 ft from the back wall , 3 ft from the side wall , 7 ft from from each other and listening position is 7' 6 inches. The two attached picture gives the rough idea of the speaker placements and the other one gives an idea of one of the wall. The walls are basically full of shelves from ground to ceiling filled with books.

Now coming to the performence. I must say they sounded just brilliant.It almsot felt like I am listening to a new system. The sound was crystal clear , no boomyness and very enjoyable. I just loved the music so much that I have listed to it almost 6 hours and that too CDs. I haven't connected my TT yet to the system. I am just wondering if it sounds so good with CDs then with TT it will be just magic. I am convinced now that the system has found its ideal place and placing it behind the snooker table is not a justice to that system.
@Asit : Now i understand why you were bit dissapointed with the clarity when you heard it becuase it was simply not there. Too much reverbaration was messing things up big time.
Thanks to everybody for their suggestion. Special thanks to Suri and Steven for providng me guidence that music can be enjoyed from such big speakers even from 7.5ft distance. I always had the idea they need a big room to perform.Lastly Viren your system is really good but I was not using it properly. It has the capacity to offer much more than what i was getting.
Thanks,
Mahiruha.

Last edited:
Hi Mahi
Good to know that now with changing of rooms the issue is solved and that you are actually hearing the true sound of the system

Now, you have done justice to your Stereo rig. IMO, you now have a much better listening room. The books when arranged with tiny gaps between them act as diffusors. Do you also have such a book shelf on your right. If not, see if you can move another shelf to your right. Symmetry in a listening room is very important will give you a much better and uniform soundstage. Don't move the bookshelf behind to your right as a diffusor behind the speakers improves imaging.

Nice collection of books too:)

Fantastic..the bookshelf on the side are reducing sidewall reflections as well !

@Asit : Now i understand why you were bit dissapointed with the clarity when you heard it becuase it was simply not there. Too much reverbaration was messing things up big time.

Mahiruha,

Thanks. I am just happy that you now know what is possible with your system. I know some people who have much better system (and much more expensive :)) than mine but poorly set-up, and the sound is worse than mine. I myself was guilty for the last 2/3 years until Cranky made those nice stands for me.

I just hope I did not hurt you too much when I remarked about the lack of clarity in your system in your amp thread. I also remarked very firmly that a lot of it was contributed by the room and the placement. I am sorry but that needed to be said and I am happy now that all this discussion ultimately has ended up with a very positive outcome.

So, is this a permanent arrangement? Then get your rack and TT into the library. Oh, another advice: please do not smoke in the library, you never know, it's not safe. Sorry, but had to make this one too :).

Regards.

Hi,
thanks everybody.
@Rikhav : yes this true sound is someting totally different very good indeed.

@Santhol: Yes I can hear how well the books are acting as diffusers.The room is symmetrical since it has book shelves in all the 3 walls filled with books.Only the wall behind the speakers has a shelve covering half of the wall.Since they are rigidly attached to the wall so I can't move them but I am happy with the result.Thanks for the compliment on the book collection. Actually its a combined effort of my grand father and my father for last 80 years.My contribution is only 40 odd bokks which are related to my subject of financial engineering.

@Arj:Thanks for your valuable input. Actually its your room modelling tool that gave me the mathemtical proff that my snooker room has too much reverbaration which compelled me to move my system to another room.I will try and model this room to see how the predicted results and actual results are linked with each other.

@Asit: Thanks for your valuable input.I wasn't hurt by your comments rather thankful to you that you took all the trouble of coming over to my house , listened to the system and pen down your valuable comments.You just said what was there and I totally agree with you. I think for the time being it will be set up there. I can't set up the rack their since the size of it is too overwhelming for the size of the room. Its really a shame that I couldn't make it to your house till date but I promise you I will soon pay a visit.I will certainly keep in mind the advise on smoking but when I am too happy there is nothing like lighting a cigeratte.

Actually this week has been woderful. I found the near to true potential of the stereo rig and also got to watch live snooker on computer. For last two nights have watched the match till 4 in the morning. So the weekend is bit hectic but I am loving it.
Thanks.

Actually this week has been woderful. I found the near to true potential of the stereo rig and also got to watch live snooker on computer. For last two nights have watched the match till 4 in the morning. So the weekend is bit hectic but I am loving it.
Thanks.

Really Great to hear this ! :clapping: Isnt this is one of the satisfactions in the hobby ?

it must have been one of those great periods (which last for a few hours or days) in life that will be cherished! - where the stereo rig is performing beyond expectations, and the (vicarious) snooker game has been played to perfection, the best cigarette is at hand, and the father has had a snifter and is relaxed! hopefully, you are unmarried, and not having to cope with psychosis and paranoia. well, paradise on earth in kolkata:)

i was browsing the net - and look at this amp - it has your name on it!!

http://www.manleylabs.com/containerpages/mahi.html

@Asit: Its really a shame that I couldn't make it to your house till date but I promise you I will soon pay a visit.I will certainly keep in mind the advise on smoking but when I am too happy there is nothing like lighting a cigeratte.

Thanks.

Please come and we shall have a nice time with my mostly classical collection. Bring some music from your collection too.

But as arj and suri have commented, we are so happy that you are happy with your system. Your joy sincerely has touched us too.

Regards.

@Santhol: Yes I can hear how well the books are acting as diffusers.The room is symmetrical since it has book shelves in all the 3 walls filled with books.Only the wall behind the speakers has a shelve covering half of the wall.Since they are rigidly attached to the wall so I can't move them but I am happy with the result.Thanks for the compliment on the book collection. Actually its a combined effort of my grand father and my father for last 80 years.My contribution is only 40 odd bokks which are related to my subject of financial engineering.

Thanks.

Hi Mahiruha,
The book collection is envious. Mahi may we know the name of your grandfather. Was he an writer?

Congrats for your new placement of speakers. I have heard Lyrita Harmony1 with Viren's 15 Watt amp for 2-3 occassions. It is absolute good and involving. I could not take this speaker due to its big size (tall) for my bedroom. The library with three walls full of books should be a very good arrangement for any speaker sytem. Why did you not try this earlier?

Listening from 7.5 ft from speakers should not be any problem as long as you can provide about 2.5- 3 ft distance from rear wall and side walls.

it must have been one of those great periods (which last for a few hours or days)

Hi Suri,
so true you are that this moment of happiness just last for few hours only. I was all set to start watching the final from 7:30 this evening. Suddenly it came to my mind around 6 let me try with squeezebox to see how it performs with Lyrita system. Unfortunately The squezebox adapter was connected to my airtel adsl modem.Then I took out my tata sky stb adapter which was lying idle connected it to my adsl modem and there I go the adsl modem stopped working. I was cursing myself why did I do it. Things were so well but due to my over adventure I lost internet and no snooker for me.Then the war to regain internet began. After hastling with the airtel modem for some time I realized that its not gonna work. Luckily I located my old tata indicom adsl modem and battled with it for 5 hours to get airtel broadband with it.Although I missed the first half of the match but can watch rest of it fingers crossed. It was a very good learning experience how to configure airtel broadband through tataindicom modem. It was never in my wildest dream I imagined that I have to engage myself in this sort of exercise in this lovely Sunday evening.Lesson of the story is its not a good idea to get too excited.
Thanks.

Last edited:
yes mahiruha, life is a learning experience till one dies, and each must cherish those special moments in life!-

after all, when the day is done, life is not about being happy - it is to do with not being unhappy - happiness is fleeting, ephemeral and to be valued only as moments to be cherished in retrospect!

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back