Measures to Reduce the Boomyness of speakers

hi mahiruha,

am glad to be of help! but then i wouldn't be a bond if i didnt help solve world problems :) just joking of course tons of guys here gave you excellent advice too! looking at your pics was almost like looking at my system ;) the same speakers a nice cupboard full of books behind. only thing missing is the carpet in front which i used to have but removed cos of too much hassle moving the chair around. couldnt really make out from the pic... your speakers are sitting on the floor, they look like they are, do put spikes and a platform then the speakers. a simple wood platform ought to do too.

you've got the squeezebox too! :D me getting one hopefully soon...

regards

Nice that you are enjoying your 2 channel setup in your library. What a shift man, from one room that had so many obstacles\issues to another that is the almost perfect listening room (with diffusors et all). Wow!!:clapping:. I am so happy for you.

About missing half the match, search on Youtube, you might find it. Youtube never ceases to amaze me. Videos that I never thought I will never see again can be found there.

It was a very good learning experience how to configure airtel broadband through tataindicom modem. It was never in my wildest dream I imagined that I have to engage myself in this sort of exercise in this lovely Sunday evening.
We actually are more capable than we think we are. Have often seen that we work and understand things much better under pressure.

hi mahiruha,
looking at your pics was almost like looking at my system ;) the same speakers a nice cupboard full of books behind.
regards

Careful Mahi ...next thing you know he will land on your doorstep demanding to take his system back .. the one he lent out to you ....:lol:

Cheers

yes mahiruha, life is a learning experience till one dies, and each must cherish those special moments in life!-

Yes that is very true. Just now I am trying to figure out how to use multiple quotes.Still waitng for the picture of your listening room with the speakers.:D

am glad to be of help! but then i wouldn't be a bond if i didnt help solve world problems just joking of course tons of guys here gave you excellent advice too! looking at your pics was almost like looking at my system the same speakers a nice cupboard full of books behind. only thing missing is the carpet in front which i used to have but removed cos of too much hassle moving the chair around. couldnt really make out from the pic... your speakers are sitting on the floor, they look like they are, do put spikes and a platform then the speakers. a simple wood platform ought to do too.

you've got the squeezebox too! me getting one hopefully soon

True Mista Bund.Its a new discovery to me all together. Yesterday also attached my TT but for some strange reason I am yet to discover ,I am finding CDs more appealing than TT. I am yet to attach the squeezebox. I will post my impression between Squeeze box , cd and TT when I get all three of them running.I can now afford to do that when the listening environment is more or less proper.:)

The book collection is envious. Mahi may we know the name of your grandfather. Was he an writer?

Congrats for your new placement of speakers. I have heard Lyrita Harmony1 with Viren's 15 Watt amp for 2-3 occassions. It is absolute good and involving. I could not take this speaker due to its big size (tall) for my bedroom. The library with three walls full of books should be a very good arrangement for any speaker sytem. Why did you not try this earlier?

Listening from 7.5 ft from speakers should not be any problem as long as you can provide about 2.5- 3 ft distance from rear wall and side walls.

Thanks Amit. I am really enjoying the performence of the system these days. Whenever I have some time on hand I am just going to the library to listen to some music. Got some Norah Jones , Ray charles, Nana Mouskori , Belafonte albums today. The reason I didn't try it earlier because I didn't know that those huge speakers can be heard from such a small distance but I am learning now. Hope you are also enjoying your new system.

Nice that you are enjoying your 2 channel setup in your library. What a shift man, from one room that had so many obstacles\issues to another that is the almost perfect listening room (with diffusors et all). Wow!!. I am so happy for you.

About missing half the match, search on Youtube, you might find it. Youtube never ceases to amaze me. Videos that I never thought I will never see again can be found there.

Thanks Santosh for your kind words. Yeah youtube is very handy to locate anything you want. I even watched Original Ghajani in one of the south indian language (not sure) in youtube.I was really curious to see what the indian version of memento could be so youtube provide me with the solution.

Careful Mahi ...next thing you know he will land on your doorstep demanding to take his system back .. the one he lent out to you
Thanks gobble for alerting me. I might have to take the service of number 8 to prevent number 7.:)
Thanks.

Last edited:
Speakers are considered to be one of the weakest link in the entire audio chain. Hence the type of speakers you select for an particular applicaion plays a major role in the final audio quality.

What is the type of the speakers you are using - vented or sealed? For either of these speaker types there will be some amount of boomy bass due to the inherent properties of the enclosure. The corner placement of these towers will enhance the bass by approx 6 dB/octave.

If you are concerned about the boomy bass of your speakers, then you should consider using Transmission Line (TL) type enclosures where the gentle 6 dB/octave roll-off of the speakers below the resonant frequency of the woofer will avoid any boomy-bass. Typically transmission line enclousers are made with a full-range speakers which can be tapered line or straight line. It usually is more benefitial in the low, Mid-bass and mid frequencies and most audiophile grade speakers are of the TL type. You can have a Mass Loaded TL speakers where you can have the area of the terminus equal to around 20% to 25% of the area of the speaker cone. This method would allow you to control the amount of bass you need from the speakers by varying the area of the terminus.

Thanks, Hari Iyer.

Speakers are considered to be one of the weakest link in the entire audio chain. Hence the type of speakers you select for an particular applicaion plays a major role in the final audio quality.

What is the type of the speakers you are using - vented or sealed? For either of these speaker types there will be some amount of boomy bass due to the inherent properties of the enclosure. The corner placement of these towers will enhance the bass by approx 6 dB/octave.

If you are concerned about the boomy bass of your speakers, then you should consider using Transmission Line (TL) type enclosures where the gentle 6 dB/octave roll-off of the speakers below the resonant frequency of the woofer will avoid any boomy-bass. Typically transmission line enclousers are made with a full-range speakers which can be tapered line or straight line. It usually is more benefitial in the low, Mid-bass and mid frequencies and most audiophile grade speakers are of the TL type. You can have a Mass Loaded TL speakers where you can have the area of the terminus equal to around 20% to 25% of the area of the speaker cone. This method would allow you to control the amount of bass you need from the speakers by varying the area of the terminus.

Thanks, Hari Iyer.

Hi Hari,
thanks for your reply. If I claim I understood what you are talking about that will be a overstatement.The boomyness and lack of clarity was a problem in my earlier room but in my new room I am really enjoying the system. I don't know too much about technical factors for my case enjoyment factor rules supreme. Last couple of weeks I have spent most of the time listening to music is a clear indication that the sytem is providing me enough enjoyment factor to considerably rule out movie watching in HT, xbox 360 gaming ,snooker,econometrics as my other sources of entertainment.
So far so good lets see how things pan out in future.
Thanks.

By looking at the photographes of your full-range speaker it looks line a TL design and i assume its a tapered line design. If yes, you can reduce the boominess of the speaker by increasing the cross-section area of the terminus. This will increase the mid-range a bit and reduce the boomy bass. Also you can try increasing the damping of the line near the terminus area to decrease the bass and smoothen the mid-range a bit.

Regards, Hari.

Hi Hari,
what is the terminus of a speaker. How we can increase the cross sectional area?
Thanks.

If you are having a Transmission Line (TL) speaker then there is a closed end on one side an open end on other side. The open end will have a kind of a slot for the rare wave of the speaker to escape. This slot is also technically called a terminus. For a mass loaded TL speaker this slot is made upto 10% to 20% of the area of the speaker cone (Sd) to increase bass response. But if you increase the area of the slot by say 10% more then the bass will be reduced and the mid-range will become more enhanced. You may have to alter the damping of the line to tame the mid-range a little, but it is risky if you are not aware of which harmonics (odd) to supress as the damping depends upon the wave-length of the fundamental harmonics of the line. More over the damping density also varies depending upon the harmonics of the fundamental.

Regards, Hari.

Hi Guys,
After moving my system in the new room I was looking for a good rack. My search ended today and finally got a solid rack to support the stuff. Special thanks goes to Cranky for his valuable suggestions which lead to this simple but effective solution.Thanks to Viren also for his inputs. It is just a custom made industrial book shelve with 4 pieces of granite slabs placed in each shelve.It is really heavy and rigid. Planning to paint it black to make it look nicer but its not the priority now. There is slight change in sound I find it has more body. I still have to do some extensive listening to figure ot the chnages.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back