Media Players for CRT TV

netwitx

Hello All

I have a samsung 29 inch CRT and I am getting a Media Player ( Asus O Player). Can I watch SD contents on 29 crt or I need LCD/Plasma for that!

Thanks in advance

SH/HD content works just fine on CRT. Of course it would be downsampled to 480p.

But this does not matter for 29 inch.

What it means is that even though you can watch it on a 29 - you'd definitely enjoy it more on a LCD/Plasma. The 29 would not be capable of justifying the HD or HD ready output of a media player.

i have been using my xtreamer with CRT till now.. absolutely no issues.. but to enjoy the HD picture you need LCD/PDP

If you're not going to invest in a LCD soon, trhen dont waste money on a full HD player (with HDMI) . Get something like the WD Tv Mini which connects via component or composite

Other cheap but very good option is to connect your laptop via 4pin S-video to single yellow composite.(though its difficault to find such quality cable) I am watching many HD/SD videos without any issues with acceptable quality. Of course you have to connect additional audio (headphone) out. Makes so much utilization of my lappy that now it has become my STL (Set Top Laptop) :lol: and sits beside DVD player.

I am planning to get one, which one do you think is better???

as per specs..

Nbox has more video format support but only 2 channel audio out..

Amkette has limited video format support but provides digital coaxial out for true 5.1 surround sound..

you can choose depending on your collection of movie files and the audio setup..

- if you wan't only 2 channel audio and have variety for file formats (h.264 MKVs etc) go for Nbox

- if you have only divx, mpeg4 and dvd vob movie files.. and if you have audio receivers that takes digital coaxial audio input to decode 5.1 surround sound then go for Amkette..

as per specs..

Amkette has limited video format support but provides digital coaxial out for true 5.1 surround sound..

you can choose depending on your collection of movie files and the audio setup..

- if you wan't only 2 channel audio and have variety for file formats (h.264 MKVs etc) go for Nbox

- if you have only divx, mpeg4 and dvd vob movie files.. and if you have audio receivers that takes digital coaxial audio input to decode 5.1 surround sound then go for Amkette..

Thanks, you are a life saver..... going to get Nbox, will use it with CRT and need only 2 channels audio out...

as per specs..

If the input video file has resolution more than 1360 x 768, will the player downsample it and play, or not play at all? I have put a question to the dealer on ebay, but yet to receive an answer from him..

If the input video file has resolution more than 1360 x 768, will the player downsample it and play, or not play at all? I have put a question to the dealer on ebay, but yet to receive an answer from him..

From Nbox's website it looks like the playeer can do a max of 720P (0r 768 vertical resoulution). It would not play/downscale 1080P.

does anyone here own a NBOX..looks like a cheap replacement for a lot of things. If anyone is using this..how does it play on a normat CRT..SD content??

From Nbox's website it looks like the playeer can do a max of 720P (0r 768 vertical resoulution). It would not play/downscale 1080P.

Can anyone confirm this????

Got an answer from the dealer. It won't play files greater than the stated resolutions; it will display "Unsupported file".

Can anyone confirm this????

as per specs..

I second this..
Have used Amkette & would say that it has some limitations.
One major issue i faced was during fast forwarding or rewinding some avi files, as soon as you try to ff or rew, the video will go the beginning of file. Even going to specific time feature didn't work.

Music playback quality is fine but interface is awful.

Got an answer from the dealer. It won't play files greater than the stated resolutions; it will display "Unsupported file".

Have used Amkette & would say that it has some limitations.
One major issue i faced was during fast forwarding or rewinding some avi files, as soon as you try to ff or rew, the video will go the beginning of file. Even going to specific time feature didn't work.

As I mentioned ealrier, your laptop will be the best & cheap option to play all types of files without headeque. You can play 1080P/ 720P whatever your laptop can play as CRT will be used as just a display unit and will set the resolutions (downscale) automatically.

As I mentioned ealrier, your laptop will be the best & cheap option to play all types of files without headeque. You can play 1080P/ 720P whatever your laptop can play as CRT will be used as just a display unit and will set the resolutions (downscale) automatically.

connecting CRT with laptop is not straight forward..
you need a tv tuner card and you may need a pc remote..
cost may go higher than a budget media player :)
also its cumbersome...

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back