Meeting 'meprateek'- Rare Meet at Ranchi!

Saket

Hello Vinylheads!

Received a PM from meprateek (Prateek) that he was in Ranchi, his hometown and we were quick enough to fix a time for next evening to meet up at my place. We both were excited and looking forward to meeting each other in person; people who share a common, but relatively rare interest (at least for Ranchi) of Vinyls.

Let me also add that Prateek's elder brother himself is a vinyl enthusiast and thankfully he also accompanied Prateek to my place.

We listened to a few LPs like Hum Kisise Kam Nahin, Dire Straits, Aandhi on my primary set up which is the Technics. We shared stories of what brings us to vinyl. For me, it was my father, for Prateek, probably that role was played by his elder brother. I guess it because of the enthusiasm by which he spoke about how he used to buy LPs in Ranchi back in those days. He recounted that how in the vinyl's hey days, records would be placed in the shelves of shops along with a record player. How they would pick one and play it on the record player kept for checking the records. He faintly remembered the LPs to be costing anything in between Rs. 30/- to Rs. 45/- (Rs. 45 for supreme quality).

Apart from the Technics set up, we tried dwelling in to real nostalgia by playing my Dad's HMV Fiesta (1975). The song 'Tera Jana' from Anari EP played flawlessly and we admired that how these old LPs sound amazingly good & warm on the modest Fiesta! In fact, a newer and technically better Philips 633 Stereo record player sounded thinner as compared to the completely wooden Fiesta.:) I also wanted to play the Philips 832, but due to non-usage, its tonearm was not moving freely and hence, we could not make it sing. However, it was repaired later in the night.

We had a look at the entire collection (which of course is not large by any means).

I guess, I will have more to share...I am invited at his place for this evening! Prateek has a Technics SL-1210 and a collection of about 400 LPs. I am not sure if I will have my hands on the 1210 as it is still packed, but surely will have a look at the LPs.

Thanks for looking friends!
Will update as & when the meet progresses.

Regards,
Saket

Thanks for sharing meeting details.I have only heard good things about Parteek.I think his current city is Hyderabad.FM Raghunadh always praise him for his DIY skills.

Regards,
Sachin

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing meeting details.I have only heard good things about Parteek.I think his current city is Hyderabad.FM Raghunadh always praise him for his DIY skills.

Regards,
Sachin

Yes Sachin. He told me about Mr. Raghunadh that how they have frequent meets in Hyderabad. He is a DIY guy. He showed me a picture of tube based mono blocks that he has made.

Regards,
Saket

I guess, I will have more to share...I am invited at his place for this evening! Prateek has a Technics SL-1210 and a collection of about 400 LPs. I am not sure if I will have my hands on the 1210 as it is still packed, but surely will have a look at the LPs.

Thanks for looking friends!
Will update as & when the meet progresses.

Regards,
Saket

Awesome! It must feel nice to have such a get together with like minded people. When you go today evening, try to take some pictures of his collection/setup (if Prateek doesn't mind) :)

Awesome! It must feel nice to have such a get together with like minded people. When you go today evening, try to take some pictures of his collection/setup (if Prateek doesn't mind) :)

Of course. Though, we may not get to see the 1210:sad:

Thanks for sharing this Saket. It's always nice to meet a fellow Vinyl enthusiast.

Every time a friend visits my place which some of them are Vinyl enthusiasts, I turn into a kid full of enthusiasm and go on and on about Vinyl. We literally have jam sessions on Vinyl, I simply love all kinds of music.

Off Topic: BTW, do we get Gregorian Chants on Vinyl? I'd love get a few LPs.

Thanks for sharing this Saket. It's always nice to meet a fellow Vinyl enthusiast.

Every time a friend visits my place which some of them are Vinyl enthusiasts, I turn into a kid full of enthusiasm and go on and on about Vinyl. We literally have jam sessions on Vinyl, I simply love all kinds of music.

Off Topic: BTW, do we get Gregorian Chants on Vinyl? I'd love get a few LPs.

Thanks RP. Yes, indeed true that if we meet a vinyl enthusiast, we go on & on about vinyls...a thing that if we do with others, we run the risk of being termed an insane!

Sorry, but no idea about the Gregorian Chants on vinyls. Casual Googling neither resulted in anything concrete.:)

Regards,
Saket

Thanks RP. Yes, indeed true that if we meet a vinyl enthusiast, we go on & on about vinyls...a thing that if we do with others, we run the risk of being termed an insane!

Sorry, but no idea about the Gregorian Chants on vinyls. Casual Googling neither resulted in anything concrete.:)

Regards,
Saket

Haa has, you bet. I've already been banned by me friends to talk about Vinyl during our every night coffees :D:D

Here's a sample of what these chants are:
Gregorian Chanting Monks ~ Music for Paradise ~ Music For The Soul ~ Dale Sumner - YouTube

Just received a call from Prateek telling me that he has unpacked his SL1200 for the evening meet.:yahoo:

I love hosting fellow vinyl lovers. I am waiting for some vinyl enthusiast to visit as I get excited talking about vinyls, Turntables etc. There is a story behind every Turntable I have bought. I like to tell those stories to those interested. Also to share about various records, pressings and how the same records sound in different turntables etc. It's the most fascinating hobby and I once again extend an open invitation to any vinyl lover to visit me..

nice to catch up like this, whenever I meet a vinyl enthusiast, the conversation lasts for hours and is difficult to stop :)

Yes, we can discuss about vinyls without getting bored for hours for sure! For us in Ranchi, vinylheads are a rare breed as compared to Mumbai and the mighty Southern India like Chennai, Bangalore & of course, Kerala.

I love hosting fellow vinyl lovers. I am waiting for some vinyl enthusiast to visit as I get excited talking about vinyls, Turntables etc. There is a story behind every Turntable I have bought. I like to tell those stories to those interested. Also to share about various records, pressings and how the same records sound in different turntables etc. It's the most fascinating hobby and I once again extend an open invitation to any vinyl lover to visit me..

Sir, that is your generosity to say the least. I would surely avail the invite some time in future. Its simply not wise on my part to miss the information & knowledge that you can share in person. Not to mention the huge collection of turntables and records that one can witness.

Regards,
Saket

Thanks Mr. Kuruvilla Sir.. I would like to meet you ...I don't know when..

I am planning a trip to my wife's home town in December or February, shall drop by then, wifey also is eager to pay a visit :)

Saket Bhai.. loved to see the name Ranchi feature in the forums :)

Vishal bhai...since you are in Ranchi too, let's plan to catch up sometime too.

pics awaited saket..

Sure Abhraneel. I just came back after an evening well spent. Prateek has got a fairly large collection including your favorite RD Burman, other oldies, rock and a few new ones too. But apart from that I witnessed the beauty of SL1210 too. The player is in immaculate condition and well cared. Sings with Shure M92. In fact I liked how the M92 sounded, even though its basically a budget cartridge, AFAIK.
Will soon share the pictures and small video clips. Hope you guys would like it.

Regards,
Saket

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back