Meeting 'meprateek'- Rare Meet at Ranchi!

I own own, and cherish it.. Will post the pics soon..

Just curious, how you got connected to this rare entity..

Lovely. How did you manage to get these?

And Oh, I've been exposed to a lot of music and genres since my school days and I over the years picked up some niche taste in music.

Try listening to Too In Zamoone (Vay Vay) by Bahador Kharamzi on YouTube. Something very different again.

Off Topic: BTW, do we get Gregorian Chants on Vinyl? I'd love get a few LPs.

Record Player,

I have a DECCA LP with Gregorian Chants.
hnb4.jpg

Found that few are available on ebay too.
I even have a Dual LP on baptism in Hebrew, folk music of Israel etc.

Regards,
Anil

Last edited:
Record Player,

I have a DECCA LP with Gregorian Chants.
hnb4.jpg

Found that few are available on ebay too.
I even have a Dual LP on baptism in Hebrew, foll music of Israel etc.

Regards,
Anil

Hey thanks for sharing Anil. So how do you like this?

I'll keep a watch and see if I can get a few LPs. I have loads in digital but Vinyl would be just awesome.

Cheers...

Thank you Saket,

It was nice of you to take out time from your schedule to spend on the meeting and discussing vinyl :D (the evergreen topic of discussion)
Really enjoyed the time spent browsing through your records and listening to beautifully restored Fiesta.

Sharing the album for my EL84 monoblocks and the you tube link for fellow members to enjoy.

SET EL84 Mono Blocks - YouTube
https://plus.google.com/photos/117600141529264245294/albums/5939436453951770945?authkey=CKnjnoHCyoeUwQE

@Sachin : Thank you dear, I am just wetting my fingers in DIY. People like Ragunadh Garu, yourself and Omishra are the gurus. By the way face plates got ready today for B1 . :)

Cheers,
Prateek

Last edited:
Thank you Saket,

It was nice of you to take out time from your schedule to spend on the meeting and discussing vinyl :D (the evergreen topic of discussion)
Really enjoyed the time spent browsing through your records and listening to beautifully restored Fiesta.

Sharing the album for my EL84 monoblocks and the you tube link for fellow members to enjoy.

https://plus.google.com/photos/117600141529264245294/albums/5939436453951770945?authkey=CKnjnoHCyoeUwQE

@Sachin : Thank you dear, I am just wetting my fingers in DIY. People like Ragunadh Garu, yourself and Omishra are the gurus. By the way face plates got ready today for B1 . :)

Cheers,
Prateek

Very nice!!:clapping:, what speakers are they?

Lovely. How did you manage to get these?

And Oh, I've been exposed to a lot of music and genres since my school days and I over the years picked up some niche taste in music.

Try listening to Too In Zamoone (Vay Vay) by Bahador Kharamzi on YouTube. Something very different again.

RP, Is that what you are talking about. The unique feature; its a Live Recording in a French Abbey..

I cherish this..However,If this LP would give more musical joy than what I'm getting out of it now, then pls PM the address, I can courier it for free and would even bear the courier charges.

IMG912.jpg
[/url]

IMG914.jpg
[/url]

IMG915.jpg
[/url]

IMG916.jpg
[/url]

Thank you Saket,

Cheers,
Prateek

Beautifully made mono blocks Prateek. I am sure that the set up would sound wonderful. Thanks for sharing the pictures of the set up.
I will soon share some more pictures. Keeping little busy (& was feeling little lazy) hence have not transferred the pictures from my phone.

Regards,
Saket

RP, Is that what you are talking about. The unique feature; its a Live Recording in a French Abbey..

I cherish this..However,If this LP would give more musical joy than what I'm getting out of it now, then pls PM the address, I can courier it for free and would even bear the courier charges.

Yes Simon this is what I was talking about :) and WOW, thanks for extending this to me :clapping:

Now, I refuse that you courier it as I am from Bangalore as well. We should just catch up, have a chat, some coffee (on me) and take it from there...

What say?

Nice pictures! Thanks for sharing! Btw, that Philips TT is there at my Nani's place in Patna (it's a part of a radiogram). I'm not sure if its the same model, but very similar make and look.

The subject were nice, unfortunately I forgot my camera home and blame Nokia E series camera for the crappy quality.

Thanks for the thought on the Philips record player. Since, it belongs to Prateek, he may be able to put more light on it.

PS: BTW, I got the Veer Zaara LP from a NGH, Delhi. I had asked you & Hiten to look one for me, hence please strike it off. Though, still in search of BeeGees LP- Saturday Night Fever. In case you find one in decent condition, let me know.

Regards.

TFS Saket...

BTW, did you get to listen to the 1210 and what were your listening impressions?

Cheers...

Yes RC, there was no question of missing the 1210!:D

It was fitted with a Shure M92E cartridge, coupled with a Norge integrated amp and 2 massive Philips Hi-Q International Sound boxes with full range drivers. The sound was very clean and though the M92 is not a fancy cartridge, but it sounded very clean & neutral. I was very interested in checking the insulation/ dampening of the turntable.

There was not even an iota of feedback even with repeated tapping on the glass table top on which the TT was sitting. There was a slight feedback when I tapped on the deck itself, but much less than my own turntable.

The build quality was superb and with the pitch control, I was able to play my Aandhi EP at the correct speed. This EP is notoriously famous for playing faster when played at the recommended 45 RPM. This was done to fit all songs on the EP.:sad:

I had carried my TT's headshell too, with M44-7. We swapped the cart and the music was much bass heavier. After listening to the M92E, the highs sounded a bit shrilling with M44-7. Though, this could be corrected to suit the listener with proper equalising from the amp; this I have learnt & experienced in my own set up.

Overall, I was very impressed with the capabilities of the 1200 series BUT I still believe that the cartridge, stylus, amps & speakers are much more important than the turntable itself given that the rotation speed is correct and the dampening acceptable so that there is no feedback. Though, different types of tone arms esp. found in other vintage turntables are bound to have different sound signatures for which one may develop a liking.

You yourself now own a 1210; how about your listening experience? Would be glad to read what you feel about it?

Regards,
Saket

Last edited:
Hey Thanks. Your impressions are quite detailed and I am glad you are impressed with the 1200 :).

And yes, very true that apart from the TT the cart, amp and speakers play a vital role in the overall sound production.

I think its been about a month and a half since I have the 1200 and every single day it seems to amaze me :). I have seen noticeable differences. I will shortly put a detailed review on me listening expressions.

Cheers...

BUT I still believe that the cartridge, stylus, amps & speakers are much more important than the turntable itself given that the rotation speed is correct and the dampening acceptable so that there is no feedback...

Exactly, I agree with you. But there are some people who believe otherwise. There is no electronics in TT and there is direct wire connection from cartridge to phono. It is cart, phono, interconnects, amps, speakers all play role.

Regarding feedback. Why do we want to tap on turntable while playback unless we are DJ? I don't agree with this test. TTs are placed to be on sturdy place then do the playback. We are not going to put TT in swings and then check its behavior.

TT should have moderate weight so that its forces do not disturb the sonics. Beyond one point, I feel it is useless.

Exactly, I agree with you. But there are some people who believe otherwise. There is no electronics in TT and there is direct wire connection from cartridge to phono. It is cart, phono, interconnects, amps, speakers all play role.

Regarding feedback. Why do we want to tap on turntable while playback unless we are DJ? I don't agree with this test. TTs are placed to be on sturdy place then do the playback. We are not going to put TT in swings and then check its behavior.

TT should have moderate weight so that its forces do not disturb the sonics. Beyond one point, I feel it is useless.

Your technical argument is very right that the tone arm wires straight away go to the pre amp, hence TT electronics are important only for speed accuracy. But my argument will not be that turntables don't matter in themselves. They matter because it the 'source' and if the source itself is the weak link, then it is tough for others in the subsequent chain to correct matters.

As I wrote earlier too, different tone arms, made form different materials can result in different sound signatures as every metal has its own unique resonance. Also, different tone arm designs have different strength area. And regarding the tapping test, surely one should not go overboard doing this test, but if the results are good, it signifies excellent build quality & engineering that has gone into making of the turntable. Needless to say, the output is resistant to the vibrations coming from those heavy floor standers; which can otherwise can be a havoc and a big task to sort! (ask me about it later how I solved mine!!)
In fact, you might be surprised to know that many like to strip off the damping of the SL1200 turntables to make it sound more 'lively'! Apart from this, the drive method, i.e.. Direct, belt or idlers; all have different strengths & weaknesses which includes the sound quality. Wonder why idlers have heavy platters & why direct drives have less resonant metals?

I won't refute the theory of a good turntable, but still I would prefer to have a decent turntable with a very good cartridge, amp & speakers than a spectacular turntable with a decent cartridge and amp:)

At last, I would just say that 'Small things make perfection , but perfection is not a small thing ...' - So, all in the quest of that perfection.:)

Last edited:
Yes Simon this is what I was talking about :) and WOW, thanks for extending this to me :clapping:

Now, I refuse that you courier it as I am from Bangalore as well. We should just catch up, have a chat, some coffee (on me) and take it from there...

What say?

RP,Thanks for the invite, and I would love to have a cup of coffee with you. Unfortunately, life is always been busy, I am yet clear out my dine-out promises given to friends, all wait listed by 6 months, . And again, holiday seasons are around the corner..

If you are somewhere near BEML/HAL side, I can try dropping it.. Easiest thing is, I can courier it from my office, and you would get it the next day. May be some days later, we can catch up to discuss Gregorian Chants over a cuppa or a glass of wine. .:)

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back