Migration from TS HD+ to Videocon DTH

TheSeeker

Hello everyone!

am a subscriber of TS HD+, and now wish to migrate to Videocon DTH (HD, with DVR option). i want to sell this STB to someone else (i read that its possible), and then move onto Videocon.

i wanted to know:

- briefly put, what would be the procedure for transfer of the TS STB to someone else? my subscription-pack is nearing an end.

- the Videocon page here lists 2 STBs - one is the regular HD one with 1TB HDD, and the other is a DVR with 'unltd. recording'. whats the difference between the two?!

- how much would it set me back to get a new Videocon connection, with the HD DVR box? the box is listed for 4990/- (and the separate DVR for 1890/-). what are the charges apart from those?!

- is the transmission and PQ of Videocon better than TS? am assuming so, more because it has more no. of HD channels.

kindly advise.

thanks!

The new white hd stb supports recording through the usb port. You can attach a hard disk or pendrive for the recording. There is an annual fee of Rs.200/- for recording. Recording feature will format your drive so use the drive carefully.

Hello everyone!

am a subscriber of TS HD+, and now wish to migrate to Videocon DTH (HD, with DVR option). i want to sell this STB to someone else (i read that its possible), and then move onto Videocon.

i wanted to know:

- briefly put, what would be the procedure for transfer of the TS STB to someone else? my subscription-pack is nearing an end.

- the Videocon page here lists 2 STBs - one is the regular HD one with 1TB HDD, and the other is a DVR with 'unltd. recording'. whats the difference between the two?!

- how much would it set me back to get a new Videocon connection, with the HD DVR box? the box is listed for 4990/- (and the separate DVR for 1890/-). what are the charges apart from those?!

- is the transmission and PQ of Videocon better than TS? am assuming so, more because it has more no. of HD channels.

kindly advise.

thanks!

Looks like there is a huge crowd migration from tatasky to Videocon.. I wish someone brought this to the notice of the tatasky guys.. The next time they ditch the customers who pay them.. They'll think again..

The new white hd stb supports recording through the usb port. You can attach a hard disk or pendrive for the recording. There is an annual fee of Rs.200/- for recording. Recording feature will format your drive so use the drive carefully.

i see.
which one would you recommend? the white one, or the black one? i think the black one is costlier also due to the included 1TB disk. i will try to talk to the CC of Videocon tomorrow to know about the total cost of the package. would've loved to have a chatting-session with them, like we have for TS, but can't seem to find it.

If recording feature is important then go for the dvr model with internal hdd. It has features like recording two channels while watching another channel. In the basic dvr, you can record only one channel and some channels cannot be watched during recording.

Look for annual or biannual subscription packs. You will get a huge discount with Videocon... I got a 2 year pack for my parents and paid for only 16 months or so (not sure if they still offer 2 years subs though).

I have the HD DVR with the internal HDD recording. Works very well and no issues till date.

i am not sure for switching. Please try Videocon D2H at some friend's place before selling off your TS+. The recording feature, OSD and user exp. on TS is the best. only glitch being price if channel packages and no. of HD channels
Check before u dive!

i see.
which one would you recommend? the white one, or the black one? i think the black one is costlier also due to the included 1TB disk. i will try to talk to the CC of Videocon tomorrow to know about the total cost of the package. would've loved to have a chatting-session with them, like we have for TS, but can't seem to find it.

As for choice between white and black, go with black(Internal HDD) as external hdd option will surely give you headache

If recording feature is important then go for the dvr model with internal hdd. It has features like recording two channels while watching another channel. In the basic dvr, you can record only one channel and some channels cannot be watched during recording.

that means the black one! alright. counting out the white one off as an alternative now.

Look for annual or biannual subscription packs. You will get a huge discount with Videocon... I got a 2 year pack for my parents and paid for only 16 months or so (not sure if they still offer 2 years subs though).

I have the HD DVR with the internal HDD recording. Works very well and no issues till date.

have you ever had the chance to compare its transmission and other aspects against TS?!

i am not sure for switching. Please try Videocon D2H at some friend's place before selling off your TS+. The recording feature, OSD and user exp. on TS is the best. only glitch being price if channel packages and no. of HD channels
Check before u dive!

As for choice between white and black, go with black(Internal HDD) as external hdd option will surely give you headache

yes. will do so.

have you ever had the chance to compare its transmission and other aspects against TS?!

I have TS at home too and the SQ is the same... PQ too for the most part. I find TS to be slightly better in PQ but nothing that's easily visible... only when blowing it up on the PJ and its not as much the PQ as the colors being a tad brighter/more vivid on TS. But honestly most folks will not be able to see the difference... I only noticed after testing extensively with Harry Potter, Avatar, etc. and trying to find the single blade of grass in Avatar in the jungle scenes, the fireworks scene in HP, etc. Most folks will not have screens large enough or the keen eye for detail to notice such minor variations.

During rain D2H is the worst hit... TS manages to play well and will only skip for a minute at the most.

Customer service again TS is great... my mom broke the Videocon remote and it took a while before getting through to customer service and getting a replacement. TS on the other hand has been excellent in terms of customer service other than ripping off customers with the new HD channels. Seeing we will not require customer service frequently, I believe D2H is a good option considering the price factor as well as the additional HD channels.

In terms of the interface, the menu, switching between channels I find TS to be slow too and the same as D2H. I don't have AirTel but saw it at a friend's and it appeared to be more snappy and responsive in terms of the interface and menu... but AirTel is a company I would not purchase anything from.

All said and done my parents are very happy with Videocon for more than a year and other than during rains there has been no disruption of their service ever.

Switched from TS to Videocon D2H recently. So happy about this migration. I should have migrated few years back.
User interface and channel change etc are more fast in D2H.

TS replaced the old STB with new MPEG-4 and the previous remote was not working well with that. It was taking sometime to change the channel. No need to mention the costly and ridiculous channel package charges.

TS is just so money oriented. They don't care customers. I have stopped recharging and the account got deactivated. No one from customer care called to check and they don't care. Bye Bye TS.

Switched from TS to Videocon D2H recently. So happy about this migration. I should have migrated few years back.

TS replaced the old STB with new MPEG-4 and the previous remote was not working well with that. It was taking sometime to change the channel. No need to mention the costly and ridiculous channel package charges.

TS is just so money oriented. They don't care customers. I have stopped recharging and the account got deactivated. No one from customer care called to check and they don't care. Bye Bye TS.

One of my relative is in TS Customer care and according to him there is a huge outflow of TS customers to other DTH. He told that they have also stopped recruiting in new customer care representatives. He said many of the supervisors and Managers have shifted to other competitors. Seems like TS is taking a big hit and doesn't bother much about customer care as they used to before. Not sure if they are going to go the Reliance DTH way...

+1 to that. I also have shifted to D2H for the same reason. I am happy, that I did it. Though I don't watch much TV, still paying a premium to TS was not justified with lesser number of HD and other channels.

I did migrate both my connections from TS HD to D2H HD and i am glad i did. The primary reason for me to shift was price and to some extent, number of HD channels. Customer care is good in D2H also. So far so good.

The big drawback on D2H is when it rains. D2H goes off air for long time when compared to TS.

wow!

seems many people are migrating to Videocon.

I have TS at home too and the SQ is the same... PQ too for the most part. I find TS to be slightly better in PQ but nothing that's easily visible... only when blowing it up on the PJ and its not as much the PQ as the colors being a tad brighter/more vivid on TS. But honestly most folks will not be able to see the difference... I only noticed after testing extensively with Harry Potter, Avatar, etc. and trying to find the single blade of grass in Avatar in the jungle scenes, the fireworks scene in HP, etc. Most folks will not have screens large enough or the keen eye for detail to notice such minor variations.

During rain D2H is the worst hit... TS manages to play well and will only skip for a minute at the most.

Customer service again TS is great... my mom broke the Videocon remote and it took a while before getting through to customer service and getting a replacement. TS on the other hand has been excellent in terms of customer service other than ripping off customers with the new HD channels. Seeing we will not require customer service frequently, I believe D2H is a good option considering the price factor as well as the additional HD channels.

In terms of the interface, the menu, switching between channels I find TS to be slow too and the same as D2H. I don't have AirTel but saw it at a friend's and it appeared to be more snappy and responsive in terms of the interface and menu... but AirTel is a company I would not purchase anything from.

All said and done my parents are very happy with Videocon for more than a year and other than during rains there has been no disruption of their service ever.

that was quite a detailed reply!
i agree that channel-changing on TS is quite laggy. customer-service, well, TS is good in that, but the last time, didn't have that much of a pleasing experience with them. perhaps, going by the later reply here, they are losing their sheen on this front.

quite in contrast to what the above post reads, but yes, TS UI is laggy (while changing the channels).

One of my relative is in TS Customer care and according to him there is a huge outflow of TS customers to other DTH. He told that they have also stopped recruiting in new customer care representatives. He said many of the supervisors and Managers have shifted to other competitors. Seems like TS is taking a big hit and doesn't bother much about customer care as they used to before. Not sure if they are going to go the Reliance DTH way...

that's new for me! not so good experience with them the last time too.

+1 to that. I also have shifted to D2H for the same reason. I am happy, that I did it. Though I don't watch much TV, still paying a premium to TS was not justified with lesser number of HD and other channels.

I did migrate both my connections from TS HD to D2H HD and i am glad i did. The primary reason for me to shift was price and to some extent, number of HD channels. Customer care is good in D2H also. So far so good.

The big drawback on D2H is when it rains. D2H goes off air for long time when compared to TS.

roughly speaking, how much do you save with Videocon?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

now, atleast am decided on one front, ie, which STB to opt for, in case i go with Videocon. the only 2 hurdles now being the initial cost in acquiring the connection (how much will it be?!), and the rain-issue with Videocon.

have a few questions. please advise accordingly:

1. does the black STB of videocon support transfer of recorded contents to a flash-drive through its USB port?!

2. one sub-site of videocon (i think videocon hd d2h) tells the price of the HD+DVR (black one) as 3990/-, while the main one says as 4990/-. which one is correct?!

3. any offers that i may avail in purchasing the Videocon STB?

4. my TS subscription will expire in less than 2 days. suppose, by then, if am still unable to make up my mind, can i then recharge my account on TS, atleast, for a month?

5. in the same breath - if i migrate to Videocon, and the TS STB lies with me idle, with zero-balance, i guess TS will auto-terminate it. in how much time it does that? and if i wish to use this TS STB as well, can i renew my subscription after a few weeks?

6. is it possible to sell the TS STB, whose subscription has ended, to someone else, and then inform TS about it, so that they can transfer the ownership to that person?

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back