mineral fibre tiles for false ceiling sound absorption..

subabu2002

hi friends,

my bed room size is 10*10 .. planning to use it with stereo listening..

wish to control echos, absorp sound, for better results..

for this, i used my bed for floor absoption.. but for ceiling, i am little confused..

in local, some sells mineral fibre tiles for sound absorption.. price seems affordable for my budget too..

but i wish to clear some doubts before working..

1. does mineral fibre tiles will really absorb the sounds?
2. if yes, how much density will enough or must?
3. does mineral fibre in bedroom is risky for health?
4.is there any other products or options availbale for same budget?

i dont need 100% sound absoptions , but need decent insulations..

thank you
suresh babu

my bed room size is 10*10 .. planning to use it with stereo listening..

wish to control echos, absorp sound, for better results..

<snip>

i dont need 100% sound absoptions , but need decent insulations..

I lost you at that last. here are links with useful info

Practical Acoustic Treatment, Part 3

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...inted-movie-poster-acoustic-panels-cheap.html HTH

see also

Primer: Acoustics - Absorption & Diffusion | AVForums
(see all the videos)

Do it Yourself Acoustic Diffusers

Locating areas of first reflections

HTH

and there's this http://www.flipkart.com/posters/pr?...ters&ref=45888dc4-f720-4599-9f10-59c089eda365 (canvas is apparently not very good for mids and highs but useful for bass)

ciao
gr

Last edited:
sorry for repeated topics.. still i didnt get clean solution for my echo problems..

i tested this pair in my office ( book shop) which contains lots of book racks.. it sounded excellent and great details without echos.. i know, that the reason is odd size racks and books are the reason..

but i just moved my new house , there is only one option for my stereo set up is my 10*10 bed room 9ft high and has 2 lofts..

i tested today , still i cant get clear sound as in my office..

what are all places the absorbtion will i need to fix?

Hi

easier to reply on one thread. I just picked this one for convenience

First, what is that you have tried so far that did not work out ?

Second, from my utterly new and clueless position it seems to me that the problem can not be an echo, could you be describing it wrong ?

I have been reading up and from recently acquired theory you have a perfect cube. which is acoustic hell. and the lofts only worsen your problem.

What you need I guess is base traps.

Because you are exciting room modes.

The other option is REW or that Dirac s/w I read about on hfv very recently.

Start here maybe RealTraps - Tune Your Room

HTH

ciao
gr

thank you very much sound_cycle..

sorry for the delayed reply..

you are correct , that lofts are the real problem.. i can get some decent stereo image at half of the listening position i.e. around 5-6ft from speakers..

my real wish is to get midrange without colourations.. mostly treble and bass reflections spoiled it..

i dont know how to control it first.. i wish to alter it by step by step because of budget..

which one is most important for control treble, side walls or ceiling? if ceiling , which product shoud i go ? mineral fibre or wood wool? all people says that glass wool covered will do best but i am afraid to put wood wool in bedroom because of health precautions..

for bass trap, trap placement under the loft corner or ceiling corner or both the corners which one is must? if so , for bass traps i would like to add rockwool covered with thick clothes..

what about your opinion regarding rockwool as absorber?

-suresh babu

for bass trap, trap placement under the loft corner or ceiling corner or both the corners which one is must? if so , for bass traps i would like to add rockwool covered with thick clothes..

what about your opinion regarding rockwool as absorber?

I am very much a compleAt noob to this stuff and please don't take my opinion seriously.

I am trying to figure this out and I have this

Room dimensions, standing waves, and modes from the Course Music Studio Setup and Acoustics

which tells us what we already know, that a 10x10x10 will have tremendous peaks at multiple frequencies (57, 114 and 171 hz) and that there is a dead zone for low frequencies in the centre where the modes cancel each other out.

Fixes are change listening position and use bass traps

and then there is this

RealTraps - A New Approach to Small Room Acoustics

which says, that method is old-school while in fact, And any room that's only 8x8x8 feet probably doesn't have space for a sufficient number of traps that target such a low frequency because of the number of frequencies that need to be treated.

this kind of stuff and the effect of lofts with their additional resonances or that ledge creating another set of resonances are way beyond me.

any possibility of using another room or maybe shifting house on grounds that the present digs are inadequate for audio ? (i know that is easy to type and impossible to act on from personal experience)

ciao
gr

http://www.rockwoolindia.com/products_acoustic.html

is what I was looking at.

What you might be searching for is something like this Acoustic Panels - Acoustic Wall Panels and Acoustic Insulation Panels

I could not find specifications so on the theory that it might be similar to
Tectum Wall and Ceiling Panels - AcoustiGuard
This one says Reduces noise - NRC up to 1.00

rockwool claims 1.05. What is the cost difference ? I have not got around to the getting quotes stage and am still watching ethan winer videos and the like (fr instance http://ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html). What I think I know so far absorbtion over diffusion in small rooms. 30 - 40% of the area should do. An inch of air space behind absorbers further increases efficiency.

Ofc I am also trying to get the wife to be at least vaguely supportive of the idea that flutter echoes are terrible and hopefully even to concede that the glass fronted cabinets she has are horrendous audio wise. I have a chance, you think :rolleyes:

Curious. Is there an advantage on starting a new thread for every post. Would be useful to have in one thread I'd guess, and therefore am cross posting on what to me is your original thread.

And in finishing let me leave you with a link Do-it-Yourself Bass Traps By Ethan Winer | Audio Undone and a question ? could you just get rid of the lofts, knock them off - to mind you would get rid of a lot of surface area that would need treatment (disclaimer IANAAE)

ciao
gr

Last edited:
Hi

aplgs for having done a ghar ki murgi daal barabar :eek:

http://www.hifivision.com/av-enhancers-room-acoustics/10892-need-help-room-acoustics.html

(also has a linky to an article comparing the health hazards of various fibres and more importantly is an interesting diy build thread. I will be doing a kind of copy/ paste based on this. and the results there are spectacular I quote

After a week's listening I am extremely happy with my system right now. High's have softened out. BASS has got really extended. Never I use hear the Big drum in my earlier setup. In every song I can hear that.

I think the corner traps have done the trick for Bass department. They are bulky in 17 X 17X 24.

Thicker Fabric I selected wiped out all the fears related to ROCKWOOl becoming airborne.

The ceiling panels have a extra layer of Plastic sheet placed beneath the cloth there by avoiding the Rockwool getting showered.

and another http://www.hifivision.com/av-enhancers-room-acoustics/21275-diy-bass-traps-smallish-rooms.html

and one more http://www.hifivision.com/diy/24138-rockwool-vs-sand-filler-bass-traps.html

thanks hfv !

ciao
gr

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back