Minidsp -Various models ,features -Reg

Do you really need the room curve? 60DB is really low
should I just use PEQ in plugin to tame 30hz and 60-70hz peaks a little? This null between 40-50hz is the biggest challenge I guess.

I think u can little bit increase the target level around 6 db ( around 64 db ) based on ur graph....Check the predicted curve hugging to the house curve atleast >75% .But however u will end up a null around 80 hz...Here u can boost it in the input around 3db .
what's going on between 70-80hz is too bad, I will be doing more experiments tomorrow to completely bypass these EQ filters and just deal with peaks at 30hz (a couple of db low because that extra energy at 30 gives a kick which is good..haha and tame 60-70hz, boost 70-80hz by couple of db. Not sure how to deal with the null around 40-50hz

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, As i have started playing around with Minidsp 2*4 HD, i feel its not easy to get smooth response soon as we see in the videos especially with a single sub in living room, Dual Sub's will be of great help. Auto EQ did better job of knocking big peaks. There were some small peaks and nulls to which Minidsp PEQ filters was applied to peaks get bit smooth response.
Similar to @ankitbhargava case, for me the best predicted curve target level was around 60's, after importing the filters file to miniDSP, I had to level match the sub with other speakers by adding gain using sub volume knob. After running Audyssey, the sub level in AVR was set to +2, earlier it used to be -9/-10. So i feel target level has to be way more. Will try out in coming days.
Lots of practice and patience required to achieve good result.

Yes it requires lot of iteration to get a smooth response.
You may not get smooth response like shown In that video.Because Mr.Steven Smith has four subs ,that too he placed it in a dedicated room considering the room.modes.
However with dual subs u can able to get better response comparitive to what Audyssey does.
IMO Omission of nulls can be achieved by adding multiple subs .

Please don't forget to do Audyssey afterwards.

Got the MiniDSP and I did some tinkering ... couldn't wait!

Wanted to share what has been achieved so far and it doesn't look too impressive, I am also unable to form even early impression of sound quality results. Anyway, here are some FR curves step by step

Individual response of the Subs
View attachment 50729

Combined response of the Subs (in Red) AFTER delay adjustment in MiniDSP Plugin, the summation seems to have worked
View attachment 50730

Both Subs before filter (in dark green) combined and then the closest I could get to achieve the hug to target curve (in light green). Please advise if the numbers around screen look normal.

View attachment 50726

I was getting the best predicted curve at target level "57.9 db", is the normal? After importing the filters file to miniDSP, I had to level match Subs with other speakers by adding almost 10db gain in the Plugin. Again, is this normal?
View attachment 50727

Here are the filters applied
View attachment 50728

Measurement of Subs before applying filters (Red) and after applying filters (orange)
View attachment 50731
Try this out by setting the house curve strating from 100 to 20 hz or 80 to 20hz with a LF slope of 6db/octave rise.
I just sketched the house curve in red colour.
Try it out ,u can add a little boost of 2 to 3db in 40 to 50 hz range with application of broader Q factor on the input PEQ gain.
Null at 80 to 90 hz can be corrected by only different placements or with multisubs.
Also check little boost at that range too.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-10-11 at 12.35.20 AM__01.png
    Screenshot 2020-10-11 at 12.35.20 AM__01.png
    125.4 KB · Views: 14
Can you check with one sub at a time and post results? Are both subs in similar position (front) or diagonally opposite?

Also, have you matched the gain of both subs so that they are giving you the same output?

I am assuming you are not doing any processing at the AVR level.

Try this out by setting the house curve strating from 100 to 20 hz or 80 to 20hz with a LF slope of 6db/octave rise.
I just sketched the house curve in red colour.
Try it out ,u can add a little boost of 2 to 3db in 40 to 50 hz range with application of broader Q factor on the input PEQ gain.
Null at 80 to 90 hz can be corrected by only different placements or with multisubs.
Also check little boost at that range too.
Thanks a lot! I will give it a try too. Without a UMIK1 now I will have to rely on ears after loading the target curve :(

Hi, As i have started playing around with Minidsp 2*4 HD, i feel its not easy to get smooth response soon as we see in the videos especially with a single sub in living room, Dual Sub's will be of great help. Auto EQ did better job of knocking big peaks. There were some small peaks and nulls to which Minidsp PEQ filters was applied to peaks get bit smooth response.
Similar to @ankitbhargava case, for me the best predicted curve target level was around 60's, after importing the filters file to miniDSP, I had to level match the sub with other speakers by adding gain using sub volume knob. After running Audyssey, the sub level in AVR was set to +2, earlier it used to be -9/-10. So i feel target level has to be way more. Will try out in coming days.
Lots of practice and patience required to achieve good result.
I realised that probably what best could be achieved in my scenario (with existing setup and the locations of Subs) is to kill the peaks but those dips between 40-50 and 70-80 are not going anywhere even with 3db boost. I tried boost today and it made the bass muddy somehow. I finally had to bypass of all PEQ filters and re-run Audyssey to get back some decent sound.

I will do more experiments this week, until now ... no success with MiniDSP

Can you check with one sub at a time and post results? Are both subs in similar position (front) or diagonally opposite?

Also, have you matched the gain of both subs so that they are giving you the same output?

I am assuming you are not doing any processing at the AVR level.
Yes I did deliberately gain matched the subs. No, while setting up and measuring I am keeping the AVR on "direct".
I shared my individual subs and then the summation of the 2 subs on previous page of this thread :)
@ArunkumarMB should also share it

Yes I did deliberately gain matched the subs. No, while setting up and measuring I am keeping the AVR on "direct".
I shared my individual subs and then the summation of the 2 subs on previous page of this thread :)
@ArunkumarMB should also share it
Saw it now. My bad.

Since only one of the subs has a deep null, can you re-position the sub to eliminate that null. It might be easier to re-position the subs till you get a better FR and then do the DSP.

Saw it now. My bad.

Since only one of the subs has a deep null, can you re-position the sub to eliminate that null. It might be easier to re-position the subs till you get a better FR and then do the DSP.
Finally after lot of deliberation I replaced the PB 1000 with PB2000 Pro and moved the PB1000 to the left side (my side) of the Recliner towards the wall (1 feet away from back wall and 10inch from side wall). Ran the Audyssey and did some delay settings in the MIniDSP.

The bass is room filling and tighter even at higher db. If my UMIK1 was working I would have verified by FR that its a positive change.
Best thing is now the front soundstage is not too much overpowering and bass seems to be all around.

WhatsApp Image 2020-10-13 at 11.56.47 PM.jpeg

Minidsp announcing 2 new measurement Mic I believe Umik2 and UmikX

The "applications" section on MiniDSP website updated and now it gives much more comprehensive information.

Another good news, I got UMIK 1 replacement Unit with a warning that I can't afford to defect this one. I am being very careful with it now.

Another good news, I got UMIK 1 replacement Unit with a warning that I can't afford to defect this one.

Good to hear that you were supplied with a replacement. Not sure how the responsibility for the defective unit is on you, though. They should be honoring their warranty, plain and simple. Not issuing warnings to their customers.

Guys, I have one powered Sub, one passive Sub and another passive sub will be built after lockdown. I have a question about Mini DSP 2X4 Rev b. https://www.minidsp.com/products/minidsp-in-a-box/minidsp-2x4

If i connect the LFE out from AVR to Mini DSP and MINI DSP out to external amplifer, Will the volume of the Subwoofer increase/decrease if we increase/Decrease the volume in AVR.
Yes AVR will control the volume. I am assuming the external amps are power amps. If not, then you will have gain match the amps with AVR.

MaSh

Yes AVR will control the volume. I am assuming the external amps are power amps. If not, then you will have gain match the amps with AVR.

MaSh
Thanks Mash, it will be an assembled stereo amp . I got a bit confused when i read specs of the 2x4HD where is said a remote can be used to increase volume.

Thanks Mash, it will be an assembled stereo amp . I got a bit confused when i read specs of the 2x4HD where is said a remote can be used to increase volume.
Okay. If you are going to use an AVR, then it would be better to have a stereo Power Amp. You can set the minidsp volume to max. I use my minidsp 2x4hd as a preamp via a Logitech universal remote.

MaSh

After creating the house curve and running room corrections how do you integrate the sub with ur mains? 1st image is my house curve. After audysey I tried adding delays through avr and mini dsp using alignment tool. I tried all values and the best response I got was having major phase issues as seen in image 2. Other values where even worse.

Attachments

• 8582DD14-D963-4744-A0C3-910684C2925F.jpeg
    8582DD14-D963-4744-A0C3-910684C2925F.jpeg
    207 KB · Views: 9
  • C65E29EE-286E-41B8-9D8F-841D74FF9396.jpeg
    C65E29EE-286E-41B8-9D8F-841D74FF9396.jpeg
    217.3 KB · Views: 9
After creating the house curve and running room corrections how do you integrate the sub with ur mains? 1st image is my house curve. After audysey I tried adding delays through avr and mini dsp using alignment tool. I tried all values and the best response I got was having major phase issues as seen in image 2. Other values where even worse.
Did you try measuring with different combinations of the port tuning/blocking ? I have the best result so far (no delays incorporated yet) with my rear sub having the right side port blocked (me facing the sub) and no port blocked on the front side sub.

Did you try measuring with different combinations of the port tuning/blocking ? I have the best result so far (no delays incorporated yet) with my rear sub having the right side port blocked (me facing the sub) and no port blocked on the front side sub.
I am having lot of issues with measurements. Each time it’s giving different readings so need to first check if any issues with mic or mini dsp. Avenue sound said will have a video session on Sunday. Go through the below

Post in thread 'Help me correct bass'
https://www.hifivision.com/threads/help-me-correct-bass.81900/post-941578

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back