Mission 35i or Wharfedale 10.5

shagun

Hello All,
I was reading Prakasse's comments in another thread:
Mission m35i easily outplays 9.5, but when compared with 9.6, 9.6 provided better sound stage than mission m35i. But in midrange[where the human ear is sensible the most] mission delivers the most.

I request to have some opinion on Wharfedale 10.5 vs Mission 35i as WF10.5 seems to be more clear in midrange as compared to WF9.5.

Also has anyone auditioned WF10.7. How is it compared to WF10.5?
Thanks.

Hello All,

I request to have some opinion on Wharfedale 10.5 vs Mission 35i as WF10.5 seems to be more clear in midrange as compared to WF9.5.

Thanks.

well i can comment but i will 2 weeks before the 10.5s get delivered at a dealers place here in pune - i can post a comment since I use m35i at my home.

Cons with m35
Size - huge
Tends to get boomy in a small room - placement is essential
Is a powerhouse - lot of complaints from neighbors

Pros of m35i
powerhouse with high sensitivity - can be driven with a 25wpc amp too
gr8 midrange - better than the whar 9.5/9.6/ms906/polk tsi 400
are gr8 to look at
Soft treble (i like)

The m35i are gr8 speaker if you love jazz, country, classical genres of music. These are definitely not for hip-hop which have an emphasis on the two ends of the audio spectrum - though a few songs i have heard they sounded ok but probably the higher pitched ms906 will steal the show. Wharfs are all- rounders - can't find fault with them though I always felt something is missing with the 9.5/9.6

Source used:
Maratnz 6 series amp
Norge 1000/2060
Denon 500 AE/700 AE
Pioneer 600/Denon DVD player
Gold plated interconnects
DAC 14 AWG

Songs:
Vivaldi
Dil Se
George Benson
Michael Jackson
Jaane Tu Ya Jaane Na

hey Shagun, where are you auditioning missions in Delhi?

regards

hey anm how much did the projector and screen cost you? Can you pm me the price? Am thinking of going to Singapore with few of my friends next month so trying to know the prices as such.

Hello All,

Thanks.

My vote is for wharfedale 10.5 clearly compared to m35 which though can't be faulted but no match to wharfies. And you r right that 10.5 sound brighter and have much higher clarity in midrange that the 9s. Wharfies also look better than the missions which look a bit overbearing.

Btw I read somewhere that wharfedale manufactures "all" its speaker components in-house unlike most other manufacturers who outsource (many from china etc.) And is also among the oldest speaker manufacturers.

That may be incorrect, as the details of 10 series were first picked off a chinese site - it could have been chinese manufacturer's site. I do not know, but I have a strong feeling that these too are made in China.

regards

Btw I read somewhere that wharfedale manufactures "all" its speaker components in-house unlike most other manufacturers who outsource (many from china etc.) And is also among the oldest speaker manufacturers.

Hi ANM,

hey Shagun, where are you auditioning missions in Delhi?

regards

Still I have not been able to find a place to audition Missions in Delhi.
Though there are 2 dealers in Delhi who can get them on confirmed order(i.e. without auditioning): Denny(BassnTreble) & Bharat(Gemini).

Regards.

Hi ANM,

Still I have not been able to find a place to audition Missions in Delhi.
Though there are 2 dealers in Delhi who can get them on confirmed order(i.e. without auditioning): Denny(BassnTreble) & Bharat(Gemini).

Regards.

dude never do that cardinal sin - always audition something before buying. I auditioned the onkyo 606 (i like) with the onkyo hts 230 (5.1 system - i do not like) for quite sometime - just a few months down i wish i could do away with the hts230. Its not that they are bad - VFM but I wanted better - maybe a mission setup.

Plus i have auditioned the wharfs (which somany here like but i preferred missions over them as i liked the sound with the kind of music I listen to to), Marantz, denons, yamahs, CA, MS and so on. A system may be favoured by a large group here but may not suit your kind of music.

A audition is strongly recommended.

That may be incorrect, as the details of 10 series were first picked off a chinese site - it could have been chinese manufacturer's site. I do not know, but I have a strong feeling that these too are made in China.

regards

lets not pass judgments based on conjecture. pls refer Wharfedales history brochure on Wharfedale

Extracts given below

Today, to achieve this, the company has a dedicated
1.5 million square foot manufacturing operation in
which every single product and process takes place
in-house.
The raw materials are metal, wood and various plastics
and polymers the end results are the loudspeakers.
We manufacture every cone; every voice-coil; every
cabinet; every crossover component; every chassis and
terminal we use in every loudspeaker product. With
this level of vertical integration we are not only able
to guarantee the best price and value possible of our
finished products, we are able to guarantee the quality
and performance of every loudspeaker and sub-assembly
we make.
This makes the design of any new loudspeaker an
acoustic engineers dream. Instead of having to use
off-the-shelf components from a catalogue as most other
purported hi-fi companies choose to, we are able to
build a complete vision to engineer every single component
from scratch to achieve a harmony in performance
and balance. Through this complete engineering
approach, which is applied to every single loudspeaker
we make, we can reach standards out of reach for most
manufacturers. In total, Wharfedale manufactures over
500 different drive units across our hi-fi and professional
audio ranges each one designed from scratch and
tuned perfectly for its intended application.
The next time you look at a loudspeaker, think about
how much has gone into its manufacture. With a
Wharfedale loudspeaker, you get over 75 years of
experience; the most advanced research and development
programme; and the most vertically integrated and
thorough manufacturing
UNQUOTE

Edit:

I am very sure after reading these links that wharedales are manufactured in China. Specially the hometheatermag.com one.
Please NOTE I am not passing a judgment that made in China is bad. I am just saying they are manufactured in China, which is a hard fact!

end of edit.

Dear Shyamal,
I do not know in what capacity you represent wharfedales, but the manner this text has been presented is misleading. Where does it mention that this 1.5 million square foot (foot? shouldn't it be feet?) operation (in-house - does it say house is not in China?) is NOT in China?

I am not passing any judgments, I am clearly saying I am not sure and it is a perception based on certain facts. Please do not make such allegations. Research the web yourself before misleading people by copying pasting some historical brochure.

Here are some links for you to read through.

From home theater mag - Home Theater: Wharfedale Pacific Evolution Series Speaker System

How did Wharfedale hold the line on pricing? First, while they still design everything in England, they now have a factory in China where they build virtually every speaker part, right down to the floor-leveling spikes.

Wharfedale Sapphire 89 Reviews

AudioEnz Forums - View Single Post - Wharfedale: Why is it cheaper? from original thread Wharfedale: Why is it cheaper? - AudioEnz Forums

Speakers made in china

lets not pass judgments based on conjecture. pls refer Wharfedales history brochure on Wharfedale

Extracts given below

Today, to achieve this, the company has a dedicated
1.5 million square foot manufacturing operation in
which every single product and process takes place
in-house.
The raw materials are metal, wood and various plastics
and polymers the end results are the loudspeakers.
We manufacture every cone; every voice-coil; every
cabinet; every crossover component; every chassis and
terminal we use in every loudspeaker product. With
this level of vertical integration we are not only able
to guarantee the best price and value possible of our
finished products, we are able to guarantee the quality
and performance of every loudspeaker and sub-assembly
we make.
This makes the design of any new loudspeaker an
acoustic engineers dream. Instead of having to use
off-the-shelf components from a catalogue as most other
purported hi-fi companies choose to, we are able to
build a complete vision to engineer every single component
from scratch to achieve a harmony in performance
and balance. Through this complete engineering
approach, which is applied to every single loudspeaker
we make, we can reach standards out of reach for most
manufacturers. In total, Wharfedale manufactures over
500 different drive units across our hi-fi and professional
audio ranges each one designed from scratch and
tuned perfectly for its intended application.
The next time you look at a loudspeaker, think about
how much has gone into its manufacture. With a
Wharfedale loudspeaker, you get over 75 years of
experience; the most advanced research and development
programme; and the most vertically integrated and
thorough manufacturing
UNQUOTE

Last edited:
I am not passing any judgments, I am clearly saying I am not sure and it is a perception based on certain facts. Please do not make such allegations. Research the web yourself before misleading people by copying pasting some historical brochure.

man anm you are killing the shymal.:eek:hyeah: - people these days do not take somethings nicely. Missions along with wharfs are made in china - even though my packaging says made in england (mission m35) I strongly suspect it - though the build quality is impeccable and I am not complaining.

BTW the 10 series is being shipped from china - as one of my dealer friends confirmed.

I don't wanted to come too harsh, but I am sorry if I did. Is there a sorry button Mr Moderator?

Pls understand I am a noob hobbyist and I do not have any interest in promoting or insulting any brand. I have absolutely no interest - unless some brand is following misleading practices or bad customer service.

Though I will protect my buying decisions :cool: - to hide the fact I have been fooled by a dealer and it was a bad decision.

man anm you are killing the shymal.:eek:hyeah: - people these days do not take somethings nicely. Missions along with wharfs are made in china - even though my packaging says made in england (mission m35) I strongly suspect it - though the build quality is impeccable and I am not complaining.

BTW the 10 series is being shipped from china - as one of my dealer friends confirmed.

I don't wanted to come too harsh, but I am sorry if I did. Is there a sorry button Mr Moderator?

Pls understand I am a noob hobbyist and I do not have any interest in promoting or insulting any brand. I have absolutely no interest - unless some brand is following misleading practices or bad customer service.

Though I will protect my buying decisions :cool: - to hide the fact I have been fooled by a dealer and it was a bad decision.

chill man - i was saying this because a similar attitude from my side on another thread today left a few people foaming in the mouth when i meant good. Anyway man I get your pov well. BTW any response from derek and team? Lookign forward to who is the lucky #@##@$ :eek:hyeah:

I do not know in what capacity you represent wharfedales, but the manner this text has been presented is misleading. Where does it mention that this 1.5 million square foot (foot? shouldn't it be feet?) operation (in-house - does it say house is not in China?) is NOT in China?

[/url]

Dear anm
Rest assured I dont represent Wharfedale or any other brand. I too am a noob and whatever little knowledge i have gained with ample help from members of this forum, internet serach and auditioning are for the sole purpose of finding the right speakers and compoents and no commercial purpose.

"foot" - its taken from wharfedale site and not drafted by me

"in house" can mean Wharfedale manufacturing "at its own factory in china" - I have just said in my post I read somewhere that wharfedale manufactures inhouse all parts and doesnt outsource (from china etc). That still stands (except China part on which I stand corrected) as I read that from Wharfedale site....u can debate on whether Wharfedale is misleading...but then as i said i dont represent wharfedale.

Your response to that was its from "some chinese manufacturer" ...thats the point I commented on - since Wharfedale's plant in china is still not "some chinese manufacturer"

This response is not to get into conflicts as that is clearly not an objective but just to put across my position - so hope u will take in that spirit.

Like I said, I am sorry for being so harsh. It is definitely a misleading text from Wharf. I think there is hardly ANY british or US brand that is NOT manufactured in China. In 2001 when I was in London, every damn thing I sae in stores was made in China. Whatever, whoever was left out at that point in time must have converted by now. So whatever you get is most probably. I liked the vincent amps (by looks and reviews) and was all set to buy one, but someone else grabbed it :lol:
However, I really shiver at the thought of chinese milk powder, and chinese toys. I can't even write further when I think of that.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back