Now coming back for speakers...after long thoughts and a bit of auditioning
I'd like to get some opinions :)

I am using Philips bookshelves for rear
LCR I have to buy

I consider the following:

NHT Superzero 2.0x3 + NHT Super 8/Energy ESW-M8 Sub. around 50k imported

NHT Classic 2 x 3 around 50k imported

Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 pair + 10CC center + SW150/Sonodyne Roarr=around 50k

Wharfdale Diamond 9.5/10.4/10.5 + 9/10CC - How much should that be?

Mission MV8 FS pair- I was quoted 25k - Is that too much?How much should it be?

I heard the Mission after Dali Ikon 7 paired with a Yamaha amp- Ikon 7 was WAY too bright for me...nearly had to shut my ears.
MV8 sounded really smooth and nice for vocals- way better than Ikon on the current pairing-so I added that to the mix

I also heard a pair of Martin Logan Motion Electrostats- WOW they blew me away!! if anyone is looking at a pair of ~1.8L pair of speakers...DO check them out!!They were simply Beautiful!:eek:hyeah:

I am also meanwhile thinking about the subwoofer- can afford around 20-25k depending on the speakers-or none at all with NHT Classic 2 or Wharfedale diamond 10.5

Energy ESW M8 and NHT Super 8 are tight,musical, sealed subs for around 30k imported. Highly rated, both

For movie subs(ported,powerful)-
BIC F12 equivalent new BIC subs can be got for ~18k-
Sonodyne Roarr 210 I hear about 20k?
Wharfedale Diamond 10 Sub around 22k
Klipsch SW350 around 28k

Will the sealed subs really outdo the ported ones for the price difference?

Please put your comments on the speakers mentioned above!
Sorry for posting so many times, the more I read and audition, the more into the loop I go!

Thanks
Akhil

Also could you please tell me general quoted prices for any of the above?
Will Mission MX3 FS + center break my budget?
Thanks!

I'm looking to buy in Pune..so dealers here would help!

I dont know what the current prices are, but the Mission Mv8 are surely not worth paying 25k for! Have heard them quite a bit. Why dont you try a PSB B1 or Quad 11L based system?

My total budget is around 50k. I would prefer this With a subwoofer :)
Quad 11L is around 40k a pair and PSB B1 35K right?
I think I would need a sub with both of these!
Correct me if im wrong

oswalakhil, the psb b6 is 27k, so the b1 would be much cheaper. Or go for Wharfedale 10.1+ Wharf matching centre+ Sub, that would be in your budget and would pair decently with your amp.

Also could you please tell me general quoted prices for any of the above?
Will Mission MX3 FS + center break my budget?
Thanks!

I'm looking to buy in Pune..so dealers here would help!

suggest to leave the sub for later, just so that you get better speakers. Mission is good, they are available at Sound Factor on East Street Galleria, East Street, Camp.

Wharf : go for 9 series rather than 10 series.
Also look at Mordaunt Short Aviano (excellent), Paradigm, polk audio Tsi / Rti, etc...........Remember always hear the speakers before you buy.

Thanks for the response guys!
Wish I could audition everything there is out there!!
Anyone in Pune who has MS Avianos, Wharf diamond 9s or PSB Image speakers setup?
If they'd be kind enough I'd Love to go listen in person :D

So a few considerations would be:

Wharfedale 9.5 +9 center
Wharfedale 9.2 + 9 center+ SW
MS Aviano 1

Anyone in India imports/has imported NHT speakers?
The Superzeros, Classic Threes and Absolute Towers get Almost 100% positive reviews from everyone!

Mission M34i @ Vijay Sales should be around 24k

I should add I like laid back, warm speakers over bright, forward ones.
I like detail and clarity, but cannot tolerate harsh highs :)

Please throw in more opinions! Thanks!

Akhil, you can come over to my place anytime if you want to listen to SR5006 + Paradigm Monitor 9.. You can add Paradigm to your auditioning list..
Ruenigma has PSB bookshelfs.. not sure about the model.. but he's out of india right now for couple of weeks..
PM me for contact..

Also add MS Aviano 6 to your list...............since you want a warm signature you will love these speakers. You can demo these speakers at :

MORDAUNT SHORT
speaker : Carnival / Aviano series
dealer : Mr Nishikant 9049295961 / Lights & Audio, Metro House, Mangaldad Rd, Pune

Are Missions still available at Vijay Sales? Mission M34i series have now been replaced with MX series.

Akhil - Why did you eliminate the Pioneer set (the one we listened to at Avenue Sound) from your list?

Hi Kneo

Since I was till now going solely on reviews I just happened to read(In Stereophile if I remember) that the Diamond 10.1 and Pioneer have very similar midrange, however the Diamond is slightly better at the extended frequencies. I know I shouldn't go word to word on reviews, but since I havent auditioned the Pioneer I partially put that off my list

I'm now focussing on

Diamond 10.1+10CC + Sub
Diamond 9.5 + 10CS
Mission M34i + center 32

And I'm adding to the list with
Monitor Audio BX2+ MA center (Please throw in a price estimate)
Boston Acoustics a26- what center goes with this? Where can i get it?
MS Aviano 6
Paradigm Monitor when I hear them
PSB B1

Does the difference between a tower and a bookshelf(same company) go beyond just Bass extension?
If that's the case I'll go for a BS + SW -I have a small room.
(I saw the Diamond 10.5 Really benefit with help from a Sub...will 10.1 + sub sound similar?)

Please tell me where I can audition the above :)

Hi Kneo

Does the difference between a tower and a bookshelf(same company) go beyond just Bass extension?
If that's the case I'll go for a BS + SW -I have a small room.
(I saw the Diamond 10.5 Really benefit with help from a Sub...will 10.1 + sub sound similar?)

===================================================

To my mind.. the diff between a Floorstander and a BS ( same company.. same series ) is bass extension and midrange dynamics.

Bass extension - will be more pronounded in FS. Some like it some dont.

Midrange dynamics - will vary from person to person and you will be the judge here as many people ( incl me ) find a better midrange and better control over the mids and highs in a BS than an FS. ( i am talking about the "sanity pricing" here not the ones where the FS cost lakhs )

The crossover in a 2 way BS is simpler and this is actually an advantage ( again YMMV ).

Simply going by the room size ( which you say is small ).. a BS + stands will be the way to go. The sub can be addred later if you so wish.

Go for the Bookshelves and use your budget to get the best you can and then think of the stands and then the sub. For example.. if your budget is 50k..try to get the best BS you can using maximum amount of money from this.

later.. maybe post the Diwali bonus :lol: you may add the sub.

Ofcourse-- audition for your self with your amp and decide. These are just pointers thats all.

regards,
mpw

@mpw-Tempting though that might sound, I would as of now, restrict to 50k for a 3.0/3.1 package!
I have already stretched a lot :)
and since I have surrounds,adding 3.0 makes more sense to me than just one pair :)

Any thoughts on pairing Marantz with the above mentioned?
I like classical, western classical, jazz, classic rock and instrumental mostly.
Hardly into "Dhinchak" music...if that helps
Thanks!

oswal,

the best way to cure the "as of now" is to go for the best you can.

Bit by bit.

But thats a choice ( going for 3.0 or 3.1 ) which the buyer has to make and i respect that choice too.

I would consider the Wharf 10.1 + center + SW150 package and i think that would meet your needs. Additionally spend about 8k more for a nice pair of shands from Sound Foundations - Homepage and you will be well set to enjoy this combo. Besides BS looks aesthetically more pleasing when placed on stands.

You have not specified the room size.. save to say it is small and so assume you will have planned to keep the BS on stands. The BS on styands advantage is also that it is easy to pull the speakers front and away / near when requred to get more impact.

But thats a thing you will experience for yourself and try.

Heyy - YMMV and audition first please.

mpw

The rooms 10x14 with a hearing distance of 7-8 feet. That should be small enough!
Thanks for your input...I'm veering back towards bookshelves :)

I was thinking about DIY stands- as I read somewhere-
PVC pipes filled with sand and hard-fixed onto ply on both ends :)

Reg stands - these are genuine accessories in the sense that they DO improve the sound presentation. Try not to re-invent the wheel when excellent options from our own FM is available.

Mpw

I was thinking about DIY stands- as I read somewhere- PVC pipes filled with sand and hard-fixed onto ply on both ends :)

Thatz smart idea :clapping:.... As mpw said we have speaker stands from magma FM who makes it for a very modest price & they are top notch. (Not a bomb like imported speaker stands)

I own the stands from magma (Sound Foundations) thru the First group buy offer in this forum & they defnetly improve the listening experience.. Atleast i have experienced...

I have the wharf 10.1 and sw150 and they sound good for music but I am planning a qacoustic 5.1 system for my home theatre needs. The 10.1 based system will also sound great.

Thanks for your replies :)

Stands- as per budget allows, and that would be later :) DIY will have to do now!

Sagarvikram of the forum was kind to offer me an audition of his excellent Paradigm 9s- the vocals in those were amazing, and with Marantz gave a rich warm feel.

Now I'm sure I'm going for Bookshelves for a room of my size...I dislike boom which might happen with FS

I would like some advice on Bookshelves of about 30k( 2+ center 50k)
I was thinking along the lines of
PSB Image B6,
Quad 11l2,
Paradigm mini Monitor,
Monitor Audio BX2,
Wharfedale diamond 10.2,
Mordaunt Short Aviano 2,
Usher S520
Boston Acoustics A26

Now I know that i should hear out everything before I buy, but since that might not be possible I would like to hear your opinions on what would be the best match with Marantz 1402 for :
tight bass, extension not that important
clarity in mids especially, warm nature preferred
no sharp highs- truncated highs will be ok but definitely not peiercing trebles

Once I can get a shortlist I'll plan auditions accordingly, as auditioning all in one place wont be easy
Thanks a lot!

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back