Mission Speakers

ash147

Hi Guys

A couple of days back while strolling thru a market in mumbai I decided to have a look at Mission speakers @ vijay sales.This particular branch had only one pair of Mission M33i FS speakers.Couldn't audition properly since the floor was crowded but whatever time could listen, the sound output was good.Now am planning to carry my Onkyo 3100 AVR,as suggested by most of you in my previous thread, to the shop for an audition.
The price quoted by the delear for the pair of Mission M33i FS speakers was Rs 11,420/-.
I just want to know is the price ok or is he asking for too much?

Hi Guys

A couple of days back while strolling thru a market in mumbai I decided to have a look at Mission speakers @ vijay sales.This particular branch had only one pair of Mission M33i FS speakers.Couldn't audition properly since the floor was crowded but whatever time could listen, the sound output was good.Now am planning to carry my Onkyo 3100 AVR,as suggested by most of you in my previous thread, to the shop for an audition.
The price quoted by the delear for the pair of Mission M33i FS speakers was Rs 11,420/-.
I just want to know is the price ok or is he asking for too much?

in feb march the m33's sold for 13k so that is an excellant price man. BTW next time you go there can you do me a favor - ask for the mission center speaker m3c2i price please......

Sure I will.They had a Mission center speaker too.I did not check it's model no.I'll ask the model n the price next time I go there.BTW can u pls tell me what should be the price of Mission 35i FS speakers ?

in feb march the m33's sold for 13k so that is an excellant price man. BTW next time you go there can you do me a favor - ask for the mission center speaker m3c2i price please......

Sure I will.They had a Mission center speaker too.I did not check it's model no.I'll ask the model n the price next time I go there.BTW can u pls tell me what should be the price of Mission 35i FS speakers ?

okay i got it for 24.5k in Feb end - these days its touching 20-21k AFAIK.

And thanks - probably they had the cheaper mh3 center speaer which is only average at max. The m3C2i good and matches the timbre of the m34,35 well.

Do let me know of the price.

Hi Supra

As per ur wish I checked out the cost of mission center m3C2i speaker from Vijay Sales in Mumbai.It is Rs 7536.00.
Mission M 34i is available for Rs 18000.00.Pls let me know is the price ok ? Also can u briefly let me know about the sound quality of M34i as compared to M 35i and M 33i ?

Hi Supra

As per ur wish I checked out the cost of mission center m3C2i speaker from Vijay Sales in Mumbai.It is Rs 7536.00.
Mission M 34i is available for Rs 18000.00.Pls let me know is the price ok ? Also can u briefly let me know about the sound quality of M34i as compared to M 35i and M 33i ?

m33 is a single driver has its disadvantages - m34 is better with its mid range performance is 2 way and when paired with a sub is simply smashing (my vote for most people). M35 is a 3 way - overall better bass response, does not necessitate a sub with most genres of music (i have this).

BTW the bass response of m33/m34 can be improved by silver sand that can be introduced in the back cavities of the m33 and m34.

BTW the price of m33 came down to 11.5 and m34 17k in a forum. M34 for 16k is a good buy. I got my m35 for 24k but now available for 21-22k as mentioned in a forum earlier.

Hi
Thanks 4 d quick reply.M 34i @ vijay sales is Rs 18K (latest) and M 35i is Rs 25,500.They say the prices have gone up since last few days.Those ppl say that M 35i is not compatible with my Onkyo 3100 AVR.Is that true? Any idea!!Pls suggest if I buy a Norge 1000 will it be a good option for music.This amp fits into my budget.
You have mentioned a way to improve the bass response by adding silver sand!!Pls can u tell me in detail abt this process.Never heard of it before.Adding sand will not harm the internal circuitry of the speaker?:)

m33 is a single driver has its disadvantages - m34 is better with its mid range performance is 2 way and when paired with a sub is simply smashing (my vote for most people). M35 is a 3 way - overall better bass response, does not necessitate a sub with most genres of music (i have this).

BTW the bass response of m33/m34 can be improved by silver sand that can be introduced in the back cavities of the m33 and m34.

BTW the price of m33 came down to 11.5 and m34 17k in a forum. M34 for 16k is a good buy. I got my m35 for 24k but now available for 21-22k as mentioned in a forum earlier.

hai supateep,
I am planning to m34 or m35 with stereo 2.1 amp (low cost) and laater built 5.1 is it good or a bad idea. any suggestion?

Hi
Thanks 4 d quick reply.M 34i @ vijay sales is Rs 18K (latest) and M 35i is Rs 25,500.They say the prices have gone up since last few days.Those ppl say that M 35i is not compatible with my Onkyo 3100 AVR.Is that true? Any idea!!Pls suggest if I buy a Norge 1000 will it be a good option for music.This amp fits into my budget.
You have mentioned a way to improve the bass response by adding silver sand!!Pls can u tell me in detail abt this process.Never heard of it before.Adding sand will not harm the internal circuitry of the speaker?:)

bull@@@
the avr is rated at 115w/c at 6 ohm and the mission m345 is 150W at 8 ohm - the onkyo can drive the missions to respectable volumes. I have not comes across the AVR but if its ogt binding posts or similar and not proprietary connectors the m35 will play.

For music you can get the norge 1000 (will go good with m35) or wait for a few weeks or a month for me to review the MiniWatt amp. Or the Nad is a good amp 325 is good but out of your budget.

Contact you local HW guy or glass manufacturer for silver sand - actually any high quality fine sand will do. It needs to be introduced to a small packet at the back of the speaker (port present) - gives more weight and stability improving bass response.

hai supateep,
I am planning to m34 or m35 with stereo 2.1 amp (low cost) and laater built 5.1 is it good or a bad idea. any suggestion?

go for m34 (save some money) - its good VFM and if you want to use with a 2.1 system. For a cheaper overall setup you can stick with 2.0 with m35 - for most genres of music m35 will do fine with a matching amp

bull@@@
the avr is rated at 115w/c at 6 ohm and the mission m345 is 150W at 8 ohm - the onkyo can drive the missions to respectable volumes. I have not comes across the AVR but if its ogt binding posts or similar and not proprietary connectors the m35 will play.

For music you can get the norge 1000 (will go good with m35) or wait for a few weeks or a month for me to review the MiniWatt amp. Or the Nad is a good amp 325 is good but out of your budget.

Contact you local HW guy or glass manufacturer for silver sand - actually any high quality fine sand will do. It needs to be introduced to a small packet at the back of the speaker (port present) - gives more weight and stability improving bass response.

Hi
Pls find below the specs of my AVR as mentioned in the user's manual.Now tell me if it can drive the Mission M 35i ?
Also tell me what FTC,DIN,JEITA mean?

HT-R340 AV Receiver
100 W/channel into 6 ohms (FTC)
100 W/channel into 6 ohms (DIN)
120 W/channel into 6 ohms (JEITA)
Dolby
Digital and Dolby Pro Logic II
DTS and DTS Neo:6
Optimum Gain Volume Circuitry
Massive High Current Power Supply (H.C.P.S.) transformer
CinemaFILTER
Non-Scaling Configuration
A-Form Auto Format Sensing
OR-EQ (OptiResponse Equalizer)
function
192 kHz/24-bit D/A converters
Powerful and highly accurate Analog Devices 32-bit
DSP processing
3 digital inputs (2 optical, 1 coaxial)
HDTV-ready component video switching (3 inputs, 1
output)
Adjustable crossover (40/50/60/80/100/120/150/
200 Hz)
Speaker A/B terminal
Color-coded speaker terminal posts

Specs of the Amplifier Section in detail

Amplifier Section

Rated Output Power

North American (FTC):

(FL, FR, C, SL, SR) 95 watts minimum continuous power per channel, 8 ohm loads, 2 channels driven at 1 kHz, with a maximum total harmonic distortion of 0.7%
(Subwoofer) 105 watts minimum continuous power per channel, 8 ohm loads, 1 channel driven at 80 kHz, with a maximum total harmonic distortion of 0.7%

(FL, FR, C, SL, SR)105 watts minimum continuous power
per channel, 6 ohm loads, 2 channels driven at 1 kHz, with a maximum total
harmonic distortion of 0.7%

(Subwoofer) 125 watts minimum continuous power
per channel, 6 ohm loads, 1 channel driven at 80 kHz, with a maximum total
harmonic distortion of 0.7%

European (IEC): 6 ch110 W at 6 ohms, 1 kHz, 1ch driven
Maximum Output Power

Asian (JEITA): 6 ch120 W at 6 ohms, 1 kHz, 1ch driven
Dynamic Power 180 W + 180 W (3?, Front)
140 W + 140 W (4?, Front)
95 W + 95 W (8?, Front)
THD (Total Harmonic Distortion) 0.9% (Power Rated)
Damping Factor 60 (Front, 1kHz, 8?)

Input Sensitivity and
Impedance 200 mV/ 47 k?
(LINE)
Output Level and
Impedance 200 mV/ 470?
(REC OUT)
Frequency Response 10 Hz50 kHz/ +1 dB-3 dB (Direct mode)
Tone Control 10 dB, 80 Hz (BASS)
10 dB, 20 kHz (TREBLE)
Signal to Noise Ratio 100 dB (LINE, IHF-A)
Speaker Impedance 6? 16?

Hi
Pls find below the specs of my AVR as mentioned in the user's manual.Now tell me if it can drive the Mission M 35i ?
Also tell me what FTC,DIN,JEITA mean?

HT-R340 AV Receiver
100 W/channel into 6 ohms (FTC)
100 W/channel into 6 ohms (DIN)
120 W/channel into 6 ohms (JEITA)

FTC - North American specification
DIN - European specification
JEITA - Japanese & East Asian specification

Note: There is a difference in numbers because they are demarcated.

And unless there are proprietary connections for speakers and speaker wires the missions with 92dB sensitivity will be driven perfectly.

Ya Reju I'll definately take the AVR for a demo.

Good. Many times, shops do not have the switcher to change speakers immediately. So by the time they disconnect & connect new pair of speakers, you cannot remember/ compare sound from the 1st pair.

I have seen such electronic switches at Sumaria for Rs. 2000. It can switch between 3 speakers (A,B,C) instantly. This makes selecting speakers so much easier! Only if one could borrow of these gadgets:).

BTW venkatcr builds these switches, which can connect 2 speakers at a time. This way you can at least keep shortlisting till you find the right pair for you.
Maybe he can lend it to you for your auditioning?;)

Last edited:
Hi Supra /ash147 this is for your reference,

Pls wait for image to load.
htr340large.jpg

"And unless there are proprietary connections for speakers and speaker wires the missions with 92dB sensitivity will be driven perfectly."

Are you talking about the Spring clip / Binding post connectors here.

A friend of mine has paired a Polk Audio Rti A-5 to his onkyo Hts-590 which is essentially the same 3100 ans he's gone bonkers over the sound now.So I think there should be no problem with going either for the M34 or 35i.
Ash147 do audition with your receiver.

And one more thing -Brace yourself the real wattage of the Onkyo 340R (Tx-SR-304) is only around 65W/Ch,6ohm at 0.7% thd.
Onkyo's power rating are highly overrated.

But don't let this wattage rating fool you. This receiver is quite powerful for small to med size rooms.hometheatre.about review has given it 4.5/5 * rating.Only an audition will prove it abilities.

So enjoy and happy speaker hunting.

Regards,
Samuel

i plan to add a line to my signature that says "advice is good but always audition and trust you senses and wallet before you buy".........

well for speakers (m34/m35)with 90-92db sensitivity (m33 is aorund 89) anything over 25W can drive them well. But then again 2W tube amps are known to drive speakers with 90+dB sensitivity well.

So as long as you like the sound of the m34/m35 and onkyo avr (if you are a lover for 2 channel sound - you will upgrade to 2 channel anyway in the future) - go and buy it man.

A friend of mine has paired a Polk Audio Rti A-5 to his onkyo Hts-590 which is essentially the same 3100 ans he's gone bonkers over the sound now.

Yes, I can understand, those speakers are amazing. My brother has paired similar Onkyo receiver with Rti A9. Super is not the word!

I am waiting to get my hands on Rti-A7, maybe in 2-3 years, when I move to other house...then my existing Rti A3 will become surrounds.

Last edited:
Samuel / Reju

Thanks 4 ur inputs.Can u tell me the cost of these Rti-A7 spaeakers ?
As 2morrow I plan 2 go 2 andheri for an audition of Polk,Mordaunt,Jamo,Canton etc., and luckily that chap has the same AVR as mine in his shop.Hope it should not rain heavily 2moro.

Yes, I can understand, those speakers are amazing. My brother has paired similar Onkyo receiver with Rti A9. Super is not the word!

I am waiting to get my hands on Rti-A7, maybe in 2-3 years, when I move to other house...then my existing Rti A3 will become surrounds.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back