"Mobilizing" your iPod touch

gobble

I finally got around to doing this so here is an FYI post.

iPod touch owners will note how WiFi drains the battery like a hole in a bucket of water. Besides WiFi is only available in your house.

Well I now use my GPRS cell phone as a modem over bluetooth via a process called reverse tethering. What does this mean? It means I can browse google maps anywhere on the road when I am lost, or surf the net sitting in a cafe. And with a GPRS class 32 enabled cell phone, I get decent speeds. My cell phone also has 3G. Which means for 12K (US pricing) + 4K for 3G cell phone or a total of 16K you get a device that is as mobile as the iphone costing 2.5X more - only without the ability to make calls of course! You can hop on the 3G bandwagon later once it becomes more affordable for super fast streaming!

I did this using a software called ibluever, which can be installed once you jailbreak the IOS. I use IOS 4.1. It costs 5USD (Paanch Doolar!)

Edit: Next is what?!! GPS receiver paired over bluetooth. But it cost 3.5K so I'm gonna demo it in a showroom first. Paired with routing and navigation s/w on the Touch, it should be pretty useful.

HTH

Last edited:
SSsshhhh Gobble, run to the patent office and file a provisional patent first or you will be deprived of millliiooons of doolars.:eek:hyeah:

Your concept is not very clear. You are using the phone as modem (using its GPRS) to connect a device via blue tooth, right? But you have not specified which device. (I think this device is what costs 12 K right?)

Gobble ..havre you adapted tactics ogf certain poster whose posts used to confuse everyone and there was intense debates????

Or level of my limited intelligence dropped so much that I am not able to understand plain english?

Your concept is not very clear. You are using the phone as modem (using its GPRS) to connect a device via blue tooth, right? But you have not specified which device. (I think this device is what costs 12 K right?)

Captain - He is using a iPod Touch as a device which is connecting to a 3G enabled phone via GPRSto Internet using Bluetooth :D

The device which costs 12 K is the iPod Touch and the other phone is 4 K

I think Gobble clearly mentioned existing owners so they already have it , used it and wrekked so its not 12k :rolleyes:

Captain - He is using a iPod Touch as a device which is connecting to a 3G enabled phone via GPRSto Internet using Bluetooth :D

Jeez, GPRS as such has pathetic speed and Bluetooth is even more pathetic. Soa what is the advantage here? Less power consumption of the I touch battery ?:rolleyes:

Gobble ..havre you adapted tactics ogf certain poster whose posts used to confuse everyone and there was intense debates????

Or level of my limited intelligence dropped so much that I am not able to understand plain english?

But No! The fact that you have responded means your intelligence has awoken!! :eek:hyeah: ok don't hit me just kidding!

That's right I am usingy my Touch without wireless now using Bluetooth to network with my cell which has GPRS :)

Cheers

Jeez, GPRS as such has pathetic speed and Bluetooth is even more pathetic. Soa what is the advantage here? Less power consumption of the I touch battery ?:rolleyes:
Captain
You must have tried GPRS with a class 10 device. Try a class32 one - my speeds are pretty damn good! Besides I have option of 3G as well.

Cheers

Captain
The iBluever is an implementation of the Bluetooth stack that overcomes these deficiencies.
Cheers

Right! 32gb iPod 3G costs 12k back then.

Thanks for clearing the fog. :)

So for 16k I get a device of apple UI touchscreen quality that is always connected!!

Cheers

Back