Moved to US Looking for Stereo Setup - Please suggest

Krish82

Hi Guys

I have recently moved to us, sold my polk Rti A5 and klipsch subwoofer in india :(. In US i am really getting mad seeing the shops, there are so many options and bestbuy has so many demo rooms that i had never seen something like that in india.

Well so as you know rules are very strict here for apartments, so no subwoofers and towers for me here. I am looking for a pure 2 channel setup quality sound. A CD player 2 channel amp and speakers. Budget is strictly below 1000$, or should i go with a mini hifi system?
Please suggest something so that i can have an idea what brands to look at when i go to the shop.

Hiya Krish

For speakers, look no further than these
HB-1 MK2 Horn Bookshelf Speaker
(@ USD 298 a pair in black
OR
USD 358 a pair in Real Wood Veneer, Rosenut finish)
(Note that you will need at least 12-18 inch breathing space at the rear, depending on the loudness, since these are rear-ported)

Should living room space be at a premium, then go in for these
Quick Pack
(@ USD 239 a pair)
Classic One Stereo Speaker System
(@ USD 549 for a pair + a subwoofer)
Here is a run-down on the 8" 200 W subwoofer.
http://www.orbaudio.com/supereightcompactsubwoofer.aspx
They do have a 10" 300W version too, but you wont need that for music plus its out of the budget you mentioned.
http://www.orbaudio.com/ubertencustomsubwoofer.aspx

In either case, you will save money by buying direct. Of course, you won't be able to audition either
unless you live in/around New York/LA (for the Orbs)

Orb Audio LLC
520 East 88th Street
New York, NY 10128

OR
in/around CA (for the HSUs)

Hsu Research
985 N. Shepard Street
Anaheim, CA 92806

Just buy either pair and should the recommended speakers not measure up, I promise to buy either of these pairs from you if you can lug these to India on your next visit here.

I can buy the subwoofer too but only if you can get THAT TOO here w/o cartage or customs charges, which is quite unlikely but still possible.

OTOH, I am sure that you will like whichever of these you buy.

Normally, a blind buy ie buying w/o audition is NEVER recommended by yours truly but thats the whole reason, I make this offer to buy from you at your landing cost (your shipping included) within the next six months of your purchase.

Six months to one year later, I would request you to discount the shipping charges.

More than a year later, I leave it to your sense of fairness. Will still buy them on your terms, though.

Once more, I am sure in my mind that your chances of not liking these at the given price point are very bleak.

I offer this not because I am desperate for these.
BTW, I have a cousin who lives in Orange County, CA and another one who lives in NYC. I make this offer ONLY and ONLY because I want to reassure you that either way, this wont be a RAW DEAL.

I have a couple of more budget suggestions (read factory direct, no middlemen) for single driver FR (read wide band) speakers and for whatever speakers I recommend, my offer stands. Any stuff which you can pack in your luggage and get it here w/o customs/cartage expenses will be bought by me if you dont like it.

In addition/conclusion, I forgot to mention that shipping charges for both are very meagre for mainland US
(USD 9, for the Orb setup IMAGINE!!)
AND
also that there is a 30 day trial offer (less shipping) on either. Tough to go wrong, NO?

Also, just noticed that you are in RI which means you could well be 5000 km away from Anaheim, CA/ LA and about 300 km from NYC, not that it really matters in the wake of all thats been said here.
Editing this post for the benefit of other FMs who happen to be as geographically challenged as I am, LOL.

For amp suggestions, I need to know your listening preferences and room size. Please post those to enable me to chip in with my two PKs (phooti kaudees).

HTH
Cheerio

Last edited:
Some more options

1. Ascend Sierra 1

2. Emotiva XRM-6.1

3. Golden Ear Aon 2 or 3

4. Axiom Audio M3

5. Aperion Audio Intimus 5B

Hello Every one,

Thanks a ton for your suggestions. Now i am pretty much confused. i went to Best buy last weekend. I had a wonderful time there for 3 hrs. My friend thought that i got lost somewhere :).

Here is my experience in short, i had a demo of Energy speakers(350$ pair) and after that B&w 685 (650+ pair). Frankly they were very loud and played through a AV receiver. Then i asked them to play the B&W CM5 (1500$ and CM1(999$). I have never heard such good speakers in my life. The vocals and music were not noisy and so clean that i cannot explain. Since switching was done in real time with no delay between each of the speakers the difference was very much noticible. CM1 clarity(80%) was as much as good as CM5.

Then i wanted to look at towers, the basic Definitive BP 8020. Such small towers and such big sound. again i was sold to these, the bass was from active 8" drivers and songs though played from i phone was of very good quality. However i am a learner and still learning.

How do you guys compare to the speakers suggested above.Are the speakers i had a demo good? I did not have more time to look at others otherwise i could have gone on and on. I told my friend to drop me at Best Buy morning 9 am and pick me up at 5pm :lol:.

Some snaps

IMG_6583.jpg
IMG_6578.jpg
IMG_6577.jpg
IMG_6581.jpg

If you are auditioning speakers - don't listen to any of us. Just listen to the speakers and buy the ones that YOU feel sound best.

Hi Guys

I have recently moved to us, sold my polk Rti A5 and klipsch subwoofer in india :(. In US i am really getting mad seeing the shops, there are so many options and bestbuy has so many demo rooms that i had never seen something like that in india.

Well so as you know rules are very strict here for apartments, so no subwoofers and towers for me here. I am looking for a pure 2 channel setup quality sound. A CD player 2 channel amp and speakers. Budget is strictly below 1000$, or should i go with a mini hifi system?
Please suggest something so that i can have an idea what brands to look at when i go to the shop.

congrats dude! You may also look at head-fi setups.
Where in the US are you? consider moving to suburbs and rent an independent house ;)
Many times I strongly consider that I should have settled in the US :( gadgets are plenty, and are much cheaper. But then no domestic help wakes me up from the fantasy.

Also look into ID brands, especially PhilHarmonic. These speakers are considered to perform way-way ahead of their price range, if you can live with the look and size of it "http://philharmonicaudio.com/philharmonic1.html".

For 2 xchannel auditioning with AVRs doesnt make sense as Aashish said. Do as many auditions as possible and then buy from Audiogon, where you get some fabulous bargains sometimes.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back