Musical subwoofer for Audio Engine A5

audiodelic

Music Style i listen to is psy trance so the subwoofer should be good at reproducing fast bass beats at 150 beats per minute.
I have been looking around, some models please suggest which of these would be the most musical ?

Budget: 20,000 to 30,000
Primary Use : Only music, trance music with fast bass beats

Velodyne vx-10
Velodyne Impact 12
Deftech Pro Sub 1000
Mordaunt Short Ms309i
Mordaunt Short Performance 9
Mordaunt Short Alumni 9
PSB SubSeries 5i
Jamo sub 250

Please give opinions on these and any other models im missing out etc.
thanks

Although I have no clue :)

Why not the Audioengine sub? Would it not integrate well?

Also, though you have mentioned that primary usage would be for trance, is it really prudent to spend 40-50K on a sub for a 20K pair of bookshelf monitors (accepted they are good).

Maybe a 309i should suffice.

since the audioengine sub is not available.

I looked up prices for the models in the price list thread maybe there is a mistake somewhere which of them is more than 30K ?
Budget is 20 to 30k

I have not heard the Velodynes but in the 30K mark the EPOS ELS sub is an excellent musical subwoofer. It does have its limits as far as fast response is concerned, but it is better than a lot of other options I have heard including Wharfedale and Polk.

I have not heard the Velodynes but in the 30K mark the EPOS ELS sub is an excellent musical subwoofer. It does have its limits as far as fast response is concerned, but it is better than a lot of other options I have heard including Wharfedale and Polk.

The distributor on the website is in bangalore
M/S Reference Point
No:8, 12th cross 1st stage
Indiranagar Bangalore
Tel: +91-80-25257246.
Email: [email protected]

I wonder if i can audition this somewhere in delhi ?
My preference was a sealed subwoofer and i think the epos is sealed.

Last edited:
bajaao.com has the AS8 on an october special price of 18000 instead of 23000.
I think im going to pull the trigger on this one?

Bajaao Link

If anyone knows other brands/models i should be considering in the 20,000 please let me know asap.

Oops. My mistake. Thought the velodynes were 40-50K and mistook the Jamo for the SW250 :D

For 20K would not the 10" 309 be better than the AS8? Also consider Sonodyne Roarr 2815. 17k ish. Has twin 8" downfiring drivers.

And please don't be trigger happy ! Take some time and put some thought to decide.

These are the quotes i just got from delhi dealers

wharfedale
sw150 - 21k
pc12 - 23k
pc15 - 35k

polk
dsw pro 600 - 30k

mordaunt short
aviano 7 28200
alumni 9 21700

what do you guys think alumni 9, sw150, pc12 all look to be in budget.
will these integrate just as well as the audio engine subwoofer with the audio engine speakers ? Please post some comments im quite confused and i need to make this decision fast or i will lose the audio engine aub @ 18k after october it will be 23000

Also have a look at Qbic from lithos @~20k

qbic

I think these subs are better than the audioengine subwoofer. how would the sq compare?
i read good things about the sonodyne subwoofer.many people saying its quite powerful.
The lithos is also looking nice i wonder how much it costs?
My options are now between the sonodyne roarr 2815 and the lithos srubwoofer..... i hope i am making the right decision ? :indifferent14:

I think these subs are better than the audioengine subwoofer. how would the sq compare?
i read good things about the sonodyne subwoofer.many people saying its quite powerful.
The lithos is also looking nice i wonder how much it costs?
My options are now between the sonodyne roarr 2815 and the lithos srubwoofer..... i hope i am making the right decision ? :indifferent14:

It should be around 20000/-

Write a mail to [email protected] or [email protected].

Regarding AS8, 18000/- shipped is almost same as the US price!
Amazon.com: Audioengine AS8 Black 8-inch Powered Subwoofer: Electronics

While the sonodyne and Lithos both are more powerful subwoofers than AS8, The AS8 integerates well with AE5 as it is manufactured solely for that purpose. Also, layman reviews point out that these are more suited for mp3 quality sound and games than anything else.

If you are going to connect them to a computer along with AE5, there are other advantages like perfect magnetic shelding, low space footprint etc.

For movies, the sonodyne and lythos will perform well going by the specs. But their integration with AE5 is questionable. You can not demo it anywhere unless you carry your AE5 with you.

For looks alonside AE5, the sonodyne will look odd in size, shape and colour. The AE8 and qbic both will look excellent coupled with the AE5 I suppose. Also qbic having an isolated amplifier will have more caliberation options than roar.

P.S: I have auditioned only the sonodyne and not the other two due to non availability where I live. I was/is in the same dilemma as you as I could not audition them together. Only thing Iam sure about is, AE5+AS8 will be an excellent combo even without auditioning.

Last edited:
+1 To what Blasto has said.

There is this thing called timbre matching and there is aesthetics too.

cheers,
sri

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back