Must/Rare Hindi LP records to be collected.

Thanks entsurgeon. Did not know its from Aakhri Khat. Will have to check if its on a compilation.

Last edited:
barring munshi premchand, few people have elevated the film lyricists level to be seriously counted as top notch in literary circles . sahir ludhianvi, kavi pradeep and neeraj ji s name springs to mind immediately on this level.
nai umar ki nai fasal is neeraj jis legendary work that includes the very very famous work kaarvan guzar gaya (ghubaar dekhte rahe).
it also has a par excellence romantic number by rafi saab that goes-
aaj ki raat badi shokh badi natkhat hai Rafi Roshan Neeraj NAI UMAR KI NAI FASAL 1965 - YouTube
dekh wo chhat pe utar aayi hai saavan ki ghata,
de rahi dwaar pe awaaz khadi purvaai.
bijli rah rahke pahadon me chamak uthti hai,
sooni aankhon me koi khwab le jyun angdaayii,
kaise samjhaun k is waqt ka matlab kya hai.... dil ki hai baat na hotho se kahi jayegi. aaj to tere bina neend nahi aayegi.
aaj ki raat badi shokh badi natkhat hai.
for long now, this is the song i sing to tease my friends prior to thir marriages. an anthem of sorts with me. the same lines were loosely used by bipasha in movie raaz.
same song is also featured as a duet where rafi saab refuses the call of the leading lady with sahiresque revolutionary lyrics:
par thahar wo jo wahan lete hain footpaatho par,
laash tak bhi yahan jinke na kafan payegi,
aur wo jhopde chhat bhi nahi sar par jinke,
.........................(forgetting one line here.)..
pahle in sabke liye ek imaarat gadh lun...
phir teri maang sitaron se bhari jayegi,
aaj to tere bina neend nahi aayegi.

Hello Prem,

I remember seeing 'Aakhri Khat' along with another film ( cannot remember which one ),
as two sides of an LP. Do not have the LP. However, do have the CD.
The two other beautiful numbers in this film are 'Mere chanda, mere nanhe, tujhe apne seene se kaise lagaoon' by Lata ; and, as entsurgeon stated, 'Aur kuchh der thehr, Aur kuchh der na jaa' by Rafi.

Thanks entsurgeon for the offer. In case i do not find one, will let you know.

Continuing the thread ..

Madhumati - music by Salil Chowdhury and lyrics by Shailendra.

If there is one 'A' list hit that Salilda had in his career, this movie has to
be it !! The man was simply amazing and the vocal wonders that he drew
from Lata - quite often, the originals in Bengali and quite a few of these as
non-film songs, and then the repeats as part of our golden collection...

Aa ja re pardesi - no need to elaborate on this Lata number. This haunting number
is so ingrained in the Indian collective consciousness ( from the 50's onwards )
that mere words cannot describe the beauty of the song, the singer, the lyricist
and the music director. Not to mention Bimal Roy's classic filming of the scene
in a lovely, virgin, untapped forest area of Assam....

Ghadi ghadi mora dil dhadke - the breathlessness of the heroine Vyjayanthimala
in her dancing matches the breathlessness of the songstress Lata. With a rapid
intermediate beat that lingers long after the song is over.

Zulmi sang aankh ladi - another romantic number. Hear Lata caress
the notes like honey, the music director incorporating Western Classical
note drops in the stanzas.

Dil dhadak dhadak ke keh raha hai, aabhija - an all-time, all-favourite duet
of Lata and Mukesh. Salilda was one music director who sort of 'smoothed' Mukesh's limited range ( with respect to the singer's ability to carry notes ) and tailored his songs

Dayya re dayya re chhad gayi paapi bichhua - Lata-Manna Dey duet, often cited
as a folk-tune example. Beautiful blending of music and singers. Lata once said -
"singing with a great singer like Manna Dey often makes me nervous". And Manna
Dey once said of this song - "She was never told what to do in the song ; others
were told what to do ; I was told what to do and where to insert the extra effects,
etc. But not her'.

Suhana safar aur yeh mausam haseen - Mukesh solo. One of his best and not the
typical 'drowning in sorrow' type of Mukesh songs.

Toote huye khabon ne - Last, but not the least, Rafi's gem for Salil. You have to
hear this number to once again fall under Rafi's smooth, hypnotic spell. How often
do we see/hear such Rafi numbers in the media today ?

As an aside - purists might be horrified by my suggestion, but here goes -
Pick up the MP3 release of "Immortal Duo : Lata and Salil". After hearing
the 40-odd songs on this, you will realize why all our legendary music composers
were gaga after the lady - she could sing anything and everything and make
their dream come true !!

Pyaasa...a Classic..have an EP.
Aandhi...tum aagaye ho, tere bina zindagi se, Is mod se jaate hain,
Anand...with dialogues.
Ram teri ganga maili...Music as pure as Himalayas (something like this written on the LP itself)
Awara...
A tribute to Mukesh by Lata: live recordings in USA & Canada 1976: a must have set of 2 LPs..nice pressing too
Lata Mangeshkar live in royal albert hall, london

Many more...will add soon

Hi..
My list would be (though not in chronological order) :

1. Madhumati
2. Anupama
3. Khamoshi
4. Saudagar
5. Masoom (this LP runs on 45 rpm)
6. Satte Pe Satta
7. Ijazat (this would be priced at 1 to 2K)
8. Zehreela Insaan (EP has all the good songs)
9. Hum Kisi Se Kum Nahin (a must have LP, won't say rare as new LP can be found in saragama.com)
10. Yaadon Ki Baarat (a must have LP, won't say rare as new LP can be found in saragama.com)
11. Sitara
12. Jawani Deewani
13. Guide
14. Pyaasa

Will update about more soon..

cheers..

Would like to share these classics....not all are classics but mostly great LPs and EPs.
Your comments are most welcome. Please visit the link below for more albums.

ImageShack

Last edited:
My father owned the OST (LP) of the Dev Anand starrer Des Pardes (HMV). It sounded really great when compared to his other Hindi LPs. Thought the poorest pressing of the Hindi LPs which he had, was Yaarana.

My father owned the OST (LP) of the Dev Anand starrer Des Pardes (HMV). It sounded really great when compared to his other Hindi LPs. Thought the poorest pressing of the Hindi LPs which he had, was Yaarana.

I think CDs of old songs present a fair picture of its respective vinyl pressings. I have found that most old albums that sound good on CDs have very good pressings...eg. Shalimar, QSQT(relatively new), Chalte-chalte, satte pe satta..
Also most Music India/Polydor pressings were excellent.

My Opinion.
Saket

Hi..
My list would be (though not in chronological order) :

1. Madhumati
2. Anupama
3. Khamoshi
4. Saudagar
5. Masoom (this LP runs on 45 rpm)
6. Satte Pe Satta
7. Ijazat (this would be priced at 1 to 2K)
8. Zehreela Insaan (EP has all the good songs)
9. Hum Kisi Se Kum Nahin (a must have LP, won't say rare as new LP can be found in saragama.com)
10. Yaadon Ki Baarat (a must have LP, won't say rare as new LP can be found in saragama.com)
11. Sitara
12. Jawani Deewani
13. Guide
14. Pyaasa

Will update about more soon..

cheers..

I would avoid LPs like Yaadon Ki Baarat and many more released during that period like Daag, Hare Rama Hare Krishna, Aakraman, etc. They were all "Electronically Reprocessed for Stereophonic Sound" (whatever that means). In 1970, when Polydor entered India to break EMI's monopoly, they came in with better recording facilities and were releasing far better sounding LPs and some of them were even in stereophonic sound (a rarity for Indian film music then). To counter this, HMV started releasing their monoaural recordings after electronically processing them. The end result was a lousy sounding echo effect added to the singer's voice.

HMV was even releasing cover versions of hit Polydor releases like Jawani Diwani, The Train, Tere Mere Sapne etc (sung by some Kishore-Rafi clone called Ambar Kumar).

Check for this electorinically reprocessed for stereophonic sound printed on the LP cover and avoid it.

Regds

I would avoid LPs like Yaadon Ki Baarat and many more released during that period like Daag, Hare Rama Hare Krishna, Aakraman, etc. They were all "Electronically Reprocessed for Stereophonic Sound" (whatever that means). In 1970, when Polydor entered India to break EMI's monopoly, they came in with better recording facilities and were releasing far better sounding LPs and some of them were even in stereophonic sound (a rarity for Indian film music then). To counter this, HMV started releasing their monoaural recordings after electronically processing them. The end result was a lousy sounding echo effect added to the singer's voice.

HMV was even releasing cover versions of hit Polydor releases like Jawani Diwani, The Train, Tere Mere Sapne etc (sung by some Kishore-Rafi clone called Ambar Kumar).

Check for this electorinically reprocessed for stereophonic sound printed on the LP cover and avoid it.

Regds

I have an LP of Abhimaan 'Reprocessed for stereo' version.That echo & farinaceously harsh bass, esp in the song -tere mere milan ki yeh raina increases my anger in exponential levels. Took another chance with a Namak Haram EP (thinking if my particular LP is bad)- reprocessed for stereo & met same fate.
Polydor came out with sholay as probably India's first Stereo LP (I have an EP) with reasonably good sound (& some panning stereo effects in the song Yeh Dosti)
Once discussing with a friend we had this ...HMV had probably over 90% rights of that era's music and they have messed it up. Wouldn't it be nice if these were on Polydor...then we thought that if Polydor was in place of HMV, probably they would have done the same...so the thing was not HMV or Polydor...just the Monopoly!

So reprocessed for stereo = Avoid. BTW, I have Hare Rama Hare Krishna in MONO (on Odeon)

Regards,
Saket

Last edited:
HMV used to release something called LP-45 (LP sized vinyls running at 45 rpm). Most of them were of high quality recordings - like Ghar, Swami, Inkaar, Gharaonda, etc.

And then they had Super-7 records (EP sized records running at 33-1/3 rpm). Your Namak Haram must be Super-7 and not EP. EPs have highly truncated version of the songs. On an EP, Diye Jalte Hain used to be less than 3 mts.

As for your HRHK, unless it was an overseas pressing, it cannot be a pure mono record.

RDB's Heera Panna had just 4 songs, but HMV released it with lot of dialogues in the reprocessed stereo version, but I used to have a Toshiba LP of the same movie without this reprocessing. Pure mono.

Regds

HMV used to release something called LP-45 (LP sized vinyls running at 45 rpm). Most of them were of high quality recordings - like Ghar, Swami, Inkaar, Gharaonda, etc.

And then they had Super-7 records (EP sized records running at 33-1/3 rpm). Your Namak Haram must be Super-7 and not EP. EPs have highly truncated version of the songs. On an EP, Diye Jalte Hain used to be less than 3 mts.

As for your HRHK, unless it was an overseas pressing, it cannot be a pure mono record.

RDB's Heera Panna had just 4 songs, but HMV released it with lot of dialogues in the reprocessed stereo version, but I used to have a Toshiba LP of the same movie without this reprocessing. Pure mono.

Regds

I have 45RPM LPs of Ghar, Golmaal & some more including a collection probably called 'Hits from Muslim Social Films'. Also my paying guest LP plays @ 45 RPM. (have posted some pics in the same thread 5-6 posts earlier)
About the super 7 - yes, mine copy of namak haram is a super 7 and even sholay by polydor that i have is a super 7.
my copy of HRHK is an EP, plays at 45 RPM & is true mono.
BTW, I had no clue that Toshiba pressed LPs abroad.
Regards.

I have 45RPM LPs of Ghar, Golmaal & some more including a collection probably called 'Hits from Muslim Social Films'. Also my paying guest LP plays @ 45 RPM. (have posted some pics in the same thread 5-6 posts earlier)
About the super 7 - yes, mine copy of namak haram is a super 7 and even sholay by polydor that i have is a super 7.
my copy of HRHK is an EP, plays at 45 RPM & is true mono.
BTW, I had no clue that Toshiba pressed LPs abroad.
Regards.

Saket, only LP records had this electronically reprocessed stereo. Not EPs and SPs. As for Toshiba, it must have been one of their group companies releasing under their banner. Not sure though.

Some of Polydor records were released under Philips brand (with Blue colour labels) - Tyag (SDB), Jab Andhera Hota Hai (Sapan Chakraborty), etc. Philips had a small stake in Polydor.

HMV used to release under Odeon, Angel, etc., apart from HMV.

Regds

Saket, only LP records had this electronically reprocessed stereo. Not EPs and SPs.

I will chk my copy of & let you know...its a Super 7. Sholay was true stereo super 7, not reprocessed. Also have yadon ki barat EP playing at 45rpm. will chk if its stereo or mono but I think its Mono.

Knew about philips & HMV labels, but thanks for the Toshiba info.

Saket

Electronically processed stereo is nothing but taking a mono signal and splitting it into 2 channels by using what is called a band-pass filter and strong equalization. This produces a pseudo stereo effect. At times, minor time-lag is also introduced between the two simulated channel. This provides the pseudo spacial effect between the channels. I have experimented with some stereo simulators for audio, when I was a kid. When you listen to LPs which are electronically processed, on some equipment, the vocals may sound like they are part of a chorus, rather than a single singer :)

Best way to listen to these LPs is in Mono by combining signals from both channels or by using the mono selector on your amp.

+1 to Reuben. This is very much how they did it plus adding bass to one channel & treble to the other. The slight lead-lag of channels (pseudo stereo effec/quasi stereo or duophonic sound) lead to this chorus effect snatched all clarity from the original mono recordings. The sound became thin, vocals stripped of frequencies and probably almost unlistenable. It was just a fad when stereo was a new technology in India and people probably wanted to listen to a stereo record on their new stereo record players.
Would prefer original mono records over these counterparts any day.

Back