Must/Rare Hindi LP records to be collected.

Hi Shailender,

I checked my collection and My copy of Namak Haram is Super 7 but as I said earlier, Its Reprocessed for stereo. Also I have Heera Panna, Yaadon Ki Baarat & Hare Rama Hare Krishna EPs (playing @45 RPM) in true mono. Posting pics of all for confirming it.
Also it was not only HMV which produced 7 inchers playing @33 RPM. As I said in earlier post, Polydor released 7" Sholay copy of mine plays @33 RPM.

But the bottom line remains the same - Avoid AFAP Reprocessed Stereo.

Thanks & Regards,
Saket

Last edited:
Hi Shailender,

I checked my collection and My copy of Namak Haram is Super 7 but as I said earlier, Its Reprocessed for stereo. Also I have Heera Panna, Yaadon Ki Baarat & Hare Rama Hare Krishna EPs (playing @45 RPM) in true mono. Posting pics of all for confirming it.
Also it was not only HMV which produced 7 inchers playing @33 RPM. As I said in earlier post, Polydor released 7" Sholay copy of mine plays @33 RPM.

But the bottom line remains the same - Avoid AFAP Reprocessed Stereo.

Thanks & Regards,
Saket

Saket, like I said in my earlier msg, HMV released reprocessed discs of long playing and super-7 discs only (both 33 rpm). On SPs (one song per side at 45 rpm) and EPs (2 songs per side at 45 rpm) you would get only monoaural sound, though Polydor released a few SP and EPs with stereophonic sound. They never released reprocessed SPs and EPs.

Personally, I never liked SPs and EPs since the songs were cut-short to around 3 mts or less.

Regds

Hi Shailender,

So the better thing that comes out of this discussion is what we both convey along with most members..Would be really curious to know if anybody in the forum likes any particular 'reprocessed for stereo' version of any movie. In case anyone has a pleasant experience with the same, please share your views so that we dont miss anything here.

Thanks Shailender & Reuben for sharing their knowledge on this topic.

Regards,
Saket

Hi Shailender,

So the better thing that comes out of this discussion is what we both convey along with most members..Would be really curious to know if anybody in the forum likes any particular 'reprocessed for stereo' version of any movie. In case anyone has a pleasant experience with the same, please share your views so that we dont miss anything here.

Thanks Shailender & Reuben for sharing their knowledge on this topic.

Regards,
Saket

Ha ha ha, I don't think you'd find anyone who would have liked these "Electronically Reprocessed for Stereophonic Sound" LPs. You can find people who like the HMV Revival Series on CDs, but not those horrible LPs. They just add an echo effect to the voice and terribly weaken all other frequencies.

Regds

In the year of 1972-73, a lot of excellent tracks were released in ERS by HMV only to give a surreal stereo effect. A great loss indeed. The way out is to listen to SPs and EPs to have the mono sound. As for example, Madhosh (R.D.Burman) soundtrack was released in Super Seven with hollow/echo effect as usual. But the songs sound great in SPs. So had to compromise with the trauncated version. Some other examples are Dil Ka Raaja, Humshakal, Bada Kabutar, Aap Ki Kasam, Jheel Ke Us Paar, Namak Haram, Hifazaat (EP not available). These are all R.D.Burman soundtracks. That's why the SP/EP are highly priced now.

Coming back to the topic...I have records of Dil hai ki manta nahin, Ashiqui, QSQT, Henna, Maine Pyar Kiya etc. ..I paid some hefty prices for these...esp. DHKMN and Aashiqui...Do you guys think they are rare enough as by the time they were released, Audio cassettes of these albums were available around Rs20/- and both these albums were a twin LP set and prices were around 140/- or 160/- for the set. So not many at that time would have bought them...so does it makes them rare in the present era?

Coming back to the topic...I have records of Dil hai ki manta nahin, Ashiqui, QSQT, Henna, Maine Pyar Kiya etc. ..I paid some hefty prices for these...esp. DHKMN and Aashiqui...Do you guys think they are rare enough as by the time they were released, Audio cassettes of these albums were available around Rs20/- and both these albums were a twin LP set and prices were around 140/- or 160/- for the set. So not many at that time would have bought them...so does it makes them rare in the present era?

Generally, all vinyls (originally released) should be rare since they are not going to be published anymore (at least in their original form). I tried a couple of recent ones and they sounded worse than their CD counterparts. You would really miss the original analogue quality of the audio from these new releases.

Regds

Would like to ask one question here...how do you visibly can tell if the LP is first press? I know some websites that may let you enter the code & tell about its pressing. One dealer once told me that there is an outer ring near the label of the record which tells that its a first press...how accurate is that?

Hi Saket

Pre 1970 titles would largely be on Angel. Post 1970, most would be on Odeon. Odeon releases with 2 rings on the label portion indicate first press, an inner and an outer. Post 1975, first presses are normally double gatefold. Other than that look at the matrices on the dead wax. They will be xxxx - T1

I think First pressings are big Angel logo (Angel with quil playing vinyl (Good Logo)*) and Second Pressing would be same logo in Sqaure Box. Not 100% sure though. Maybe prem would confirm.
AngelLogo.jpg

Regards

Dear friends,

I am new to this forum and happy and proud to be a part of this wonder group.

I have just started collection of LP records and have purchased a few hindi LPs from Flipkart etc. Have also got a Garrard 2025 TC record changer from one of my relative.

Due to space constraints and keeping the LPs in good condition, I am looking to collect "Rare and Must to Collect" Hindi LP Records. Kindly suggest me such LP records so that I can look for such records.

Best wishes,
sir i have lot of hindi lps collection tell me how many lps u purchase if u purchase in bulk means 500 to 1000 lps i will give all my collection only Rs 100 / lps or ifu purchase some lps then it cost will be Rs 500 To Rs 1000 / lp ..contact 9300776161

I remember seeing these LPs in a record store in Trivandrum back in the day. I went with my dad and he picked up an LP by Bappi Lahiri titled "Welcome" which was sung by Anil Kapoor and Salma Agha. If I remember correctly, the cost of that "Welcome" record was Rs.130/-

I think CDs of old songs present a fair picture of its respective vinyl pressings. I have found that most old albums that sound good on CDs have very good pressings...eg. Shalimar, QSQT(relatively new), Chalte-chalte, satte pe satta..
Also most Music India/Polydor pressings were excellent.

My Opinion.
Saket

+1 to that, I still remember that the imported tapes of the following albums sounded great:

The Burning Train
Qurbaani
Disco Deewane
Star
Zamane Ko Dhikana Hai
Ek Duje Keliye
Teri Kasam

I remember seeing these LPs in a record store in Trivandrum back in the day. I went with my dad and he picked up an LP by Bappi Lahiri titled "Welcome" which was sung by Anil Kapoor and Salma Agha. If I remember correctly, the cost of that "Welcome" record was Rs.130/-

I know Reuben that you're not too much into hindi music (AFAIK you have only 2 hindi LPs in your huge collection- Disco Deewane & The burning Train),
but fundamentally LPs produced in the 90s must be fewer in quantity as much cheaper audio tapes as the state of art were available for the same albums. Also, LPs had lost their charm by that time as well.
I dont know if you guys will kill me/curse me when I will tell you that I bought Dil hai ki manta nahin & Aashiqui for Rs. 2400/- (1200/- for each album) few months back. This included shipping. I know I paid too much, but havent seen these albums elsewhere in my record hunting sessions in Kolkata & elsewhere.
What the FMs have to say about it?

Regards,
Saket

I dont know if you guys will kill me/curse me when I will tell you that I bought Dil hai ki manta nahin & Aashiqui for Rs. 2400/- (1200/- for each album) few months back. This included shipping. I know I paid too much, but havent seen these albums elsewhere in my record hunting sessions in Kolkata & elsewhere.
What the FMs have to say about it?

Regards,
Saket
Saket,
Dil hai ki manta nahin doesn't have some original Song/s and Aashiqui vinyl recording/mastering is not good. But if you like them, money don't matter. As I like neat and clean covers, I have given Rs. 50 to Rs. 100 just for Album covers. So it all depends how much you want it.
Do give a listen to Aashiqui CD vs LP
Regards

Dear friends,

I am new to this forum and happy and proud to be a part of this wonder group.

I have just started collection of LP records and have purchased a few hindi LPs from Flipkart etc. Have also got a Garrard 2025 TC record changer from one of my relative.

Due to space constraints and keeping the LPs in good condition, I am looking to collect "Rare and Must to Collect" Hindi LP Records. Kindly suggest me such LP records so that I can look for such records.

Best wishes,

Collect old Hindi records in good condition with big Angel logo. If you are lucky they may even turn out to be the first pressing.
Go for even ones with Odeon Logo.
Few old hindi films were released only in EP and few EPs had songs never pressed in the LP version.

Regards,
Anil

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back