My assembled set up - Pionner+Polk

arnprasad

Here is my new setup - been buying things for past two years. This is the latest avatar

https://picasaweb.google.com/109339918713204929450/HomeTheater#

Samsung 46 inch 5 series LCD :yahoo:
Pioneer 1020K Receiver:yahoo:
Polk Audio RTi4 Left and Right speakers:clapping:
Polk Audio CS10 Center:clapping:
Polk Audio PSW10 Sub Woofer:mad:
Tata Sky HD DVR:yahoo:
Old YAMAHA HTIB sats for surround left and right (wrapped in wire):lol:
Nintendo WII:yahoo:
Philips Blu Ray player:sad: as it doesnt play any of my US DVD and Blu Rays
Western Digital 2TB Hard Drive
Seagate 300GB Hard Drive :yahoo:
Gateway NV 59 Intel i5 laptop with Blu ray drive :yahoo:

Except the TV, most of the other stuff I bought from Amazon US during my trips and am happy with the performance of all of them except the Sub. It is twice the size of my Yamaha HTIB Sub and costly too but somehow not happy. May be I set it up wrongly.

I request any of the Bangalore friends to drop in for a cup of tea and test my equipment as all I have done so far is just Plug and Play and am sure it can be tinkered to give a better performance. I live in the Vijayanagar area.

Anyone interested can PM me.

Thanks and have a great weekend!:clapping:

Last edited:
Oh,is that centre looking different from fronts or its shadow?

Difficult to say:eek:hyeah: left and rights are L&R to the TV. (they are silver)

My center is above my Pioneer AVR (this ones black)

My sub at bottom right is also in Silver and this is the one I need some help on..Although I can feel the rumble when I touch it..I just dont feel the sound that much from it..no thump..:mad:

I can see the door to the side of sub.I will suggest to keep sub on the other side of rack ,mostly on floor & close to wall.This can improve a bit.

I can see the door to the side of sub.I will suggest to keep sub on the other side of rack ,mostly on floor & close to wall.This can improve a bit.

Thanks. Also Need advice on few other things.

I live in an independent house with a ceiling of around 12 feet. My Hall is around 20 feet by 12 or 15 feet. This is a 25 year old house so not much internal wiring slots except for basic electricals.

(1) If if Place my lefts and rights on the left and right corner of the room closer to ceiling . will it make a differnce? in 5.1 the L&R have limited role to play but will it make a difference while listening to Audio? this would mean they are at least 5-6 feeit above the head and at least 5-15 feet distance away as well.

(2) I got two kids of 5 and 4 yrs..and since I dont have a provision of placing my surround L&R, I roll the wire around it and keep near the TV and only when I watch HD 5.1 movies on Tata sky ( My only source of 5.1 video) on weekends, I unwirethe speakers and place these two behind my sofa. Again similar question to the one above - if I create slots near the ceiling - this time around 15 feet from the TV above the sofa - and place them permanently..will it make a big difference?

(3) For SUB, I willl keep them on the floor on the left hand side away from the main door.

Apart from (1) and (2) Above - please offer other suggestions...really appreciate it.:clapping:

start with this
Dolby Home Theater Speaker Placement and Setup Guide

also try to wire everything on the walls, if this is ur permanent residence
you can use the plastic strips which can be easily found in any electrical store to neatly wire it to the walls.

also please correct me if i am wrong but should not the speakers be of the same size and proportions (unless you using FS speakers in the front)

start with this
Dolby Home Theater Speaker Placement and Setup Guide

also try to wire everything on the walls, if this is ur permanent residence
you can use the plastic strips which can be easily found in any electrical store to neatly wire it to the walls.

also please correct me if i am wrong but should not the speakers be of the same size and proportions (unless you using FS speakers in the front)

Thanks..I am no audiophile. Since I bought most of them from US, it was not possible to bundle a Big HTIB in one or two suitcases :eek:hyeah: I did toy with the idea of getting the Energy HTIB for 399 dollars.

During my internet readings, I found out that for movie watching, most of the sound comes from the center channel and hence since most of the time I watch TV, I bought a big Center channel.

Since Music is stereo, I bought identical left and rights.

Before all this I had a yamaha HTIB where all the 5 speakers were ofsame size.

Then finally since I bought Left, right and center from Polk, I also bought the sub from Polk which at that time wsa the best selling polk on amazon.

However I realised later that one of the advantages of buying a HTIB is that all the components are synched....so in my even if all the components are from POLK, they belong to different series and hence I feel my Sub doesnt get along with my left, right and center...or may be it is me placing on wooden base instead of the floor...I will keep on floor tonight and see if its any better.

Hope this helps and let me know if I went wrong anywhere in choosing my components.

pls do not keep fronts on top closed to the ceiling as ideally speakers should be at ear levels.
Surrounds can be mounted close to ceiling 2to3 feet above listeners head.
You can try casing patti running parallel close to ceiling all over which will carry surround cables.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back