My Cute AMPCAMP Built

Re: My Cute AMPCAMP Build started

Connected the power to the amp camp boards and set the bias to 10V DC.

Connected the input and output from the boards, (I didn't use the recommended way of using a bulb in series before power supply for first time power on) but I powered it on carefully to see if anything burns.

Fortunately nothing blown and the LED's was glowing, then I connected the output to a test tweeters and played a song, everything were alright and I can hear sound from the test tweeters and didn't hear anything unwanted noise.

Then I connected my main speakers, I was amazed with the sound it was much louder then I expected and the sound quality was good enough for this little AMP, I'm using a 3way COSMIC Covox 2500, this AMP is driving them at pretty decently, but I will go for 6 watts modifications.

As of now heat sinks are more then sufficient, after 1 hour of continues working, heat sinks are only little warm, I was assuming it will be quite hot.

I have a question, as per the build document online, we have to set the bias again after the AMP is heated up a little (1 hour of playing) as the bias will drift but in my case it did not happen, the bias was 10V DC even after 1 hour of working.

I want to thank FM Sachin, Omisra and others for helping me out.

Regards
Bilal

Nice to know you liked it. Check bias after running continuously for 2 hours, set it again if changed . It drifts sometimes due to heat, so its recommended to check initially.
Post some pics when ready.

Regards
Sachin

Got these heat sinks for the build. Not sure if this will enough,

Measurements: 12.5 cm Lenght; 10cm Height; 6.6cm fin height

w893ds.jpg

34ru6qc.jpg

14dhcvl.jpg

It looks more than sufficient compared to my ACA which was part of the group buy. But you can cross check the thread for the ACA builds in this same thread that Raghu provided along with the cabinet. In fact I felt like the ACA was not getting hot to touch even after continuous play for more than a hour. But this is Bangalore weather so it depends.

Looks okay to me. Just on boundaries. You may/may not able to do extra 1W mod. But your local weather may permit you.
If you could have placed scale along heatsink then it could have given better idea. I am confused between 10cm and 12.5cm edges.

Last edited:

Looks okay to me. Just on boundaries. You may/may not able to do extra 1W mod. But your local weather may permit you.
If you could have placed scale along heatsink then it could have given better idea. I am confused between 10cm and 12.5cm edges.

Find the measurements marked. this is how I will have the sinks on sides.

Normal sinks provided with kits is 20cm length from front panel to back. Mine is only 12.5 Cm, though the fin size is higher and base is thicker, I am skeptical if its not sufficient.

Attachments

• 34ru6qc.jpg
    34ru6qc.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 102

Find the measurements marked. this is how I will have the sinks on sides.

Normal sinks provided with kits is 20cm length from front panel to back. Mine is only 12.5 Cm, though the fin size is higher and base is thicker, I am skeptical if its not sufficient.

I think you go ahead with this. It is higher and longer fins.

Connected the power to the amp camp boards and set the bias to 10V DC.

Connected the input and output from the boards, (I didn't use the recommended way of using a bulb in series before power supply for first time power on) but I powered it on carefully to see if anything burns.

Bilal, what is set bias to 10v ?? Is that something to do for first time testing? I have run through all the posts in this thread there is no clear info on things to check for first time run. Can somebody elaborate for Novice diyers?

/Arun

Yes, set the bias to 10v first, run it for an hour or two, then check the bias if it is 10v or drifting, if you see it has drifting then set it back 10v again. There is thread on diyaudio forum with detail steps.

Regards
Bilal

If your parts are correct, capacitor polarity observed, soldering is firm and MOSFETs are firm on heatsink then it will work first time with low volume without any problem. But don't use it. Identify where to measure bias. Then you can adjust bias before failing anything. I built 3 ACA. All were around 9-12V bias as preset is in middle by default.

Last edited:
Just completed the build. Tested the bias voltage and it was right on spot (10.01v) not much drift after half hour. checked all terminals connections, all fine.

Problem is no sound now. Can you guys help to troubleshoot. Going around diyaudio threads but no proper leads. Mostly related on mods.

This is strange but in DIY these things do happen :)

Few quick hints:

1. check the components values and their placements with schematic and their orientation, esp. transistors (Q3, ztx450 near blue cap).
2. check for dry solder joints
3. post pics of the other side of the pcb, there might be soldering bridges etc
4. build one board and test it, mimic it for 2nd board

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back