My demo and obersvations of a few 4K OLED and Full Array LED TVs

So I have been doing a lot of research on my impending purchase of a 4K 55" TV since I broke my Panasonic Plasma VT20D but all of that have been theoretical with no physical inspection of the TVs at my end. Today I got a chance to visit Ambience Mall in Gurgaon to have a look at the TVs I have had shortlisted in the past month or so but I had no demo content so relied on playing the showroom content across the shortlisted TVs. I still havent made up my mind on what to buy hence in the below shortlisted TVs you will see a lot of different range of TVs. So my first visit was to Croma but :

1) iFalcon 55" - Cheap and supposedly reliable TV (Didnt see any option to demo this TV)
2) Panasonic 730D - (650D was available but not this one, 650D in comparison to all the other available TVs was, simply put lackluster)
3) LG C8 - In comparison to Sony 9000F which is a simple LED 4K TV, this TV fell flat in a couple of categories of picture quality. Price : 170K for now at Croma. Diwali offers might bring it down to 150K)
4) Samsung Q6 - A QLED TV available for 145K. Again not available for Demo

So out of my shortlisted products, none were available for demo. But a new one joined the league and it was the Sony 9000F.

5) Sony 9000F - Good brightness with good picture clarity. Blacks might not have been fully black but there were details which were very prominent around the dark areas. Clarity was better than LG C8. Color reproduction seemed better as well. This one seemed a clear winner even when pitched against LG OLED. Which was quite surprising since its just a normal LED.

So after moving out of Croma all confused, visited another multi brand showroom which was Reliance Digital. Again it has a nice setup but each brand has its own location, so it was a bit difficult to compare but this turned into a boon since I was more critical in my viewing and was able to notice more details as mentioned below.

1) Sony 9000F - Same result as above. By now it seemed like I should go for a Full Array LED rather than OLED but this LED TV was adjacent to Sony OLED which made me realise a new thing, my above thoughts of LGC8 lined up exactly with the Sony OLED as well, which is blacks on OLED might give great black level but due to that it loses clarity around the black area which is not supposed to lose clarity, eg. like a face which is lit from one side so the other side should be blackish but not so black that nothing is visible. With both LG and Sony OLED, blacks were losing details. another eg. a racoon's eyes is covered with black skin, with both the OLEDs racoon's eyes and surrounding area were just a full black patch.
2) Sony OLED - Because of their prices I am not interested in Sony as such hence didnt take interest in getting to know the model no. Great Vividity in colors is the only positive thing I can say about OLEDs. Blues looked unnaturally too blue, same with Red and yellow. It all looks good when some demo with various colors is going on, but something like a location with architectural details, makes this vividity look unnatural to me.
3) LG C8 - Same as above Sony OLEDs
4) Samsung Q6 - Out of all the TVs Samsung QLEDs to me looked to have the best balance of black details as well as color vividity.

So that was it for me in todays session, I will be taking my own content for my next visit which will be in first week of October when Diwali offers should be rolling out. Btw my budget is at best below 150K. Not a videophile at all hence my observations might be completely incorrect and terms used might be all wrong. I connect my PC to my receiver which in turn to the TV, hence didnt test sound or smart features of any of the TVs.

Do let me know any TVs that you guyz might have tested, or if any observations seem to be incorrect as per your experience, my goal is to use my budget wisely and get a TV which I can be satisfied with for a long time to come. So the more people share the better it will be.
------------------

Hi ..Did you check whether they are going to provide HDMI 2.1 firmware update for above mentioned models,also which is having 12 bit panel/and refresh rates(60hz/120hz) any idea?

Best price outside of paytm! Congrats on the sweet deal.
1. From Sony center or multi brand retailer?
2. What else part of deal - cash back with CC / speakers?

I was afraid of getting demo piece or something, thats why i bargained for this deal at Sony center only and this price is after letting go that bluetooth speaker which i wasn't even interested as i own a good home theater setup.

Thank you for the details, will help others on the hunt. You got urself a great deal there. Wish you happy ownership experience of the best TV out there !!!

Thank you for the details, will help others on the hunt. You got urself a great deal there. Wish you happy ownership experience of the best TV out there !!!

Thank you! Yeah i know. Tbh i was waiting till Dec-Jan for the price of 1.25 or below but when i got this price already, i didn't think twice to grab it.

ANY info?

In my opinion, Sony A8F is better than LG C8 due to better upscaling and motion smoothness. LG C8 has a better interface and faster gaming response, but that is not the primary reason for buying an OLED TV. But when going for 65 inch rather than 55 inch, the price difference will be too high which makes LG C8 a worthy consideration.

You can have a look at my other posts from my profile page for more details including my thoughts on the new Sony A9F, the current prices of the models and why glossy screens are important.

LG C8 is for 2.39L on tata cliq (additional 5k cashback if you use any debit/credit card and 2 yrs additional warranty). Effective price of 2.34L with 3 years warranty is a much better deal than Sony a8

Can someone please confirm, how to get the netflix subscription, that's provided by Sony. Does it come inside the TV box or separately. I am planning to buy the TV this weekend. So, I wanted to know so that dealer won't make me fool by saying that you will receive a SMS bla bla or some other excuses

You need to send an email to Sony.
Along with invoice, scanned copy of warranty card and a pic of serial number from back of tv.
After that they will send you the code and link to redeem it. That's how I got it a couple of days back.
You can also check the model no. Of tvs from Sony website if the tv you are buying is eligible for Netflix offer.

LG C8 is for 2.39L on tata cliq (additional 5k cashback if you use any debit/credit card and 2 yrs additional warranty). Effective price of 2.34L with 3 years warranty is a much better deal than Sony a8
I am looking for 55inch model. LG seems to be value for money.
There are repotrs of only LG OLED burn in or Panels form Panasonic and Sony OLED also had burn in?

LG 55C8 is priced for Diwali sale.
1.6L is the quote I got from Unilet in S. Bangalore.
I think there are some freebies, so there is room for further negotiation if one is only interested in TV.

Cheers,
Raghu

You need to send an email to Sony.
Along with invoice, scanned copy of warranty card and a pic of serial number from back of tv.
After that they will send you the code and link to redeem it. That's how I got it a couple of days back.
You can also check the model no. Of tvs from Sony website if the tv you are buying is eligible for Netflix offer.
Thanks a lot for your response. I hope it will help me and other FMs. Yes, I have checked my planned TV 55X9000F is eligible for this.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back