My DIY ultimate 3-way AC Main Power Chord

Ironically none of the respondent have listened or even care to listen the findings and only keep on arguing. The proof of the pudding is in the eating. If any FM thinks otherwise they are free to do an apple to apple comparison with their cable and mine. Period.

For those who have joined in late, the argument is about this piece of wire. Image attached

Attachments

• 2018-11-24 10.40.41.jpg
    2018-11-24 10.40.41.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Ironically none of the respondent have listened or even care to listen the findings and only keep on arguing. The proof of the pudding is in the eating. If any FM thinks otherwise they are free to do an apple to apple comparison with their cable and mine. Period.

Nobody is arguing with your claim, just don't try and justify it with science.
If your cable is making your setup sound to your taste, nothing like that.

Logically Hari's idea looks correct but dont know practically it works the same way.May be experimenting that way can get some conclusion.
Regarding AC power cords,l have found with marantz avr that 0.5sqmm sounds little harsh,0.75mm(stock) balanced and 1 mm better lowend but poor depth in sound.
So Hari must be thinking in that way.But when when all strands are connected together,will we be getting actual 3 way cord result or not.

Spirovious, thanks for sharing your findings about conductor size and subjective listening. Maybe you are right in pointing out that it does not make a 3 way cable like a 3 way speaker, but I don't have any better way of describing them as the conductor size has anology with speakers size. May be the description is not appropriate for the finding.

Let's assume that this is perfectly scientific and the power electrons carrying "frequencies" know exactly which wires to pass through. So here's my logical attempt at humour!

So, electrons H, M & L (humour me!) enter Hari's wire all together, from the socket in the wall where they were all cramped together and jostling against each other for lack of space. After entering the plug, post the mandatory baggage scan, they now walk different paths made especially for each of them (they follow the signs). They traverse the whole length of Hari's wire separately and the three paths merge again into one at the IEC end (or whatever) where H, M & L are reunited again kicking and screaming and they jostle against each other again just like they did BEFORE entering Hari's cable. Ahead lies the dreaded transformer....

Skin effect is very well present but not at audio frequencies, its totally irrelevant to talk about it here.
In a good design, no way a change in primary mains side could effect audio frequencies in signal path or amplifier. If it happens then there is something drastically wrong with the system. The primary side has very little current requirement, any decent wire will suffice, its trivial.
The secondary side is well buffered with clean DC is the norm. The amplifiers these days are excellent in performance too making further improvements in the system very hard and of diminishing return.

As DIYers one must find and fix real problems, not imaginary ones. Many times we find imaginary problems, attempt to fix them and 'find improvements'. Well, we fixed something so there has to be a positive change. This is called confirmation bias.

Experiment in audio is very tricky and misleading to the person doing it. Only objective measurements can reveal the differences. Once measurements are proven and in the right direction, should we do subjective evaluation. That subjective evaluation has to be independent and blind ie no bias.

And the fact that we tweak things and we enjoy it, is a different matter altogether.

Good experiment Hari.
I have my own doubts if Science really has a means of measuring any component from an audio perspective and its maybe because we dont even know how to measure musicality.

Good experiment Hari.
I have my own doubts if Science really has a means of measuring any component from an audio perspective and its maybe because we dont even know how to measure musicality.
Look up the Null tester by Ethan Winer. It is used to compare what comes out of the "other side".

Its nice what he tried to do, thanks for the video link !
BTW for anyone wanting to watch just the tests, the actual comparisons start at around 18:20 .
Can this be used to compare 2 different preamps/amps as well ? i presume it should

@Hari Iyer, I have no doubt that the wire you made introduces a positive change in "your" system "for you" (the observer). And you should enjoy it. However, that doesn't make it a scientific fact. The wire may not have the same effect for someone else (another observer), even when used in your system itself.
A scientific fact is a result that remains the same when conducted with the same conditions, independent of the observer.
I don't mean to teach anyone to suck eggs, but thought the below might be useful in this context:
Principles of scientific enquiry:

• Pose significant questions that can be investigated empirically.
  • Link research to relevant theory.
  • Use methods that permit direct investigation of the question.
  • Provide a coherent and explicit chain of reasoning.
  • Replicate and generalize across studies.
  • Disclose research to encourage professional scrutiny and critique
Further reading at https://www.nap.edu/read/10236/chapter/5#51

Experimentation is essential, but unsubstantiated theorizing to draw causal conclusions is dangerous.

After seeing lot of videos on youtube/reading forums talking to experienced (ignorant people) I was sure that power cable is total bullshit, snake oil. I never even wanted to try it out. But, one time when I picked up a used Exposure amp while in Europe, the owner gave a power cable from Silent wire ( AC8 ) with the amp. after listening the amp for a month with that cable. I just swapped it for a normal 3 pin and noticed the sound to be grainy, bit harsh on top and seperation between instruments became worse. I was thinking something was wrong with the amp, as i still believed the power cable was just for the looks. I swapped back, and now I am believer. The amp was sold later, but AC8 stayed with me. It makes a difference, but ppl who choose not to believe can stay that way happily as its hard to prove it on graphs and numbers ;)

I strongly believe our technical methodology to measure, judge a device from its specs are incomplete with just freq resp charts and THD figures. There are lot of attributes hidden which cannot be quantified so easily, but still they exist.

This thread will now degenerate into "power cables do make a difference" which conveniently obfuscates the reality of the objections raised here.

mpw, actually I am enjoying this.
Me and my wife have gone very busy since afternoon trying to fix her Asus ZenFone issue which does not have volte features. Downloaded many patches as upgrades but nothing worked as the Jio4G SIM card require volte HD features.

Now looking for downgrading my patch. I am too lazy to visit Asus gallery and have a mandate to fix this by tomorrow or get her a new phone. So you see I have better things to worry about this week and next week rather than worries about this post:)

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back