My DIY ultimate 3-way AC Main Power Chord

Actually I believe I what he mentioned, a cable can shield out noises and improve the noise ground. But his over explanation is hard to digest sometimes. I think he is getting into conclusions quick. ;) by the way consider it all brainstorming. More arguments is actually the point of forums. Not just :" thy shall believe all I say. " This actually would help only Hari. He would come up with more evidence next time for sure.. Isn't that a good thing. Sorry I am sounding sarcastic, but I am not. Hope you got the point.

Yes, I for one don't doubt that his cable makes a difference or that he even hears a difference.
What is hooey is the methodology employed in building the cable and of course the mention of frequency + splitting/routing them via different gauges of cables using some form of skin depth/effect etc using Math!

And of course after that purposeful build he hears a difference and says he cannot explain why it does what it does. Here's an analogy:
I build a window, put in a latch and drill a hole for the latch to go into. I now mount the window, latch it using the latch that I built and discover that the window is indeed latching. Then I say that I can't explain why it is latching. What about this makes sense? :p

BTW was the subject of this thread modified to remove a word? o_O

Edit: I have respect for Hari and his knowledge and abilities. He does many things that I only dream of putting into reality. And that, Hari is precisely the reason why something like the original post is so disappointing coming from you. To your credit, after your initial post, perhaps realizing that it was a flawed premise, you have not defended the premise.
Now enough of the bashing from my side - however entertaining this may be, I'm gone!

Last edited:
Okay, so many of the posters in this thread don't buy the explanation behind the observed phenomena. But I believe many believe he heard the improvements he described.

Please feel free to voice your opinions on what might be the reason for the reason(s) for the sonic improvements Hari heard.

I believe Hari mentioned that his explanation was just an analogy, so let's not take his analogy as his final explanation. I have not read any such claim.

Hari intuited something he felt was genuinely new and happily shared his findings with us. It's possible that others have tried it before and he is not aware of it. So please refrain from ridiculing him or bashing him. Instead, if you want your opinion heard, please allow us to hear what you think is the real reason for the improvements. Hari is a hardcore DIYer who is not afraid to try out new things, including radical ones. I, for one, respect him immensely for that.

Let's keep this discussion civil.

The mains cord definitely can be audible if there is a loose connection or sparking. A decent gauge insulated cable with good contact points definitely sounds better in that regard. Beyond that it’s effects are negligible if at all present.

Jls001, I genuinely feel the overall awg increased and hence resistance dropped. What would be interesting is to see is how a 12 awg wire fares against combining three cables of different gauges to achieve a 12 awg.

What Hari tried is something I guess Lessloss does. All their cables are designed around reducing skin effect. I have owned their power cables in the past. They are very good. But I have no idea if it is because of reduced skin effect.

Like Keith mentioned, I find it difficult to believe skin effects play a role in power cords. Maybe in speaker cables though

All their cables are designed around reducing skin effect. I have owned their power cables in the past. They are very good. But I have no idea if it is because of reduced skin effect.
Whats skin effect at 20khz or 40khz bandwidth in speaker cable?
Power cables are at 50Hz, whats skin effect at those frequencies?

After reading the thread all I can say is (In the words of "Blondie" or "Tuco" from Good, Bad and Ugly):
"There are two kinds of cables in this world my friend;
Skinny ones with bad termination
Fat ones with good termination"

More copper the better. Cleaner contact the better.
This general rule applies to power and speaker cables.
I will not comment on ICs; it is a holy topic :) and I am a degenerate.

I think FM Hari's experiment proved that he had a really bad power cable before.
Now he has a good meaty one. Enjoy it Hari-sir!!

Cheers,
Raghu

Not sure if i understand what the frequency changes are, but the Main voltage is literally a 50Hz sine wave.
In most cases the power cord input to the amplifier irrespective of how big or small it is , the load is taken care of by the transformer itself.
The transformer's secondary wingdings are what that matter. The load distribution happens at the transformer itself.
Changing the power cord, would results in very minimal changes to what you are hearing.
There are lot of amps that have a puny power cord and they do put out a lot of watts.

A Mains cable is supposed to carry AC 230V @50Hz in the normal circumstances.

Is it possible that the AC Mains wire carries more than just that? Say, HF artefacts picked up from a host of equipment in the neighbourhood, maybe a pole which is sparking somewhere, a factory with motors running drawing current depending on their coils. If so, there could be differing levels of attenuation of the HF between cables, leading Hari to believe that one cable is better than the other.

Can anybody put an oscilloscope and check out the input Mains waveform/ harmonics? That might provide a clue.

Regards.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back