My driver building Experiment

Hi,

Ravs thanks for confirming the details;) ! Am glad my calculations were correct :) ! but Am bit surprised with 2 things from your post.

1) The Xmax that I had in mind was bit more,Perhaps need some fine tuning ??
2) The VC winding height : the top plate will be of 10MM so the 12.04 MM winding will make it more of underhung design won't it ? I was thinking of a overhung design.

spl qe,qt,fs and vas will depent on spider and cone stiffness and mass of moving parts

But offcourse,thats why I have asked for all the varieties of components I can lay my hands on !

From Siva,Jupiter to National have tried to get it all !!

Thanks once again ravs for the reply ;)!

Regards.

Hi,

Ravs thanks for confirming the details;) ! Am glad my calculations were correct :) ! but Am bit surprised with 2 things from your post.

1) The Xmax that I had in mind was bit more,Perhaps need some fine tuning ??
2) The VC winding height : the top plate will be of 10MM so the 12.04 MM winding will make it more of underhung design won't it ? I was thinking of a overhung design.

But offcourse,thats why I have asked for all the varieties of components I can lay my hands on !

From Siva,Jupiter to National have tried to get it all !!

Thanks once again ravs for the reply ;)!

Regards.

hi soundsgreat,

top plate thickness was taken as 7mm
xmax=top pt thickness-winding height/2

now for 2nd pdm 37mm
y30 (121x57x20)
top plate id=40
vcid=37.50
vcod=38.88
wire gauge=29 awg (as excursion increases gauge increases too)
winding height=25.13
bl=10.66 tm
xmax=7.5mm
top plate thickness=10 (you have to increase the width of bottom plate too)
bottom plate thickness=9.6mm

btw
did you find the original cones in small quantity,in delhi you wont get it so easily even you could you have to buy a pack.

ravs

be a vegeterian.....

Last edited:
Hi,

Rav's thanks a lot again for the simulations !!

top plate thickness was taken as 7mm
xmax=top pt thickness-winding height/2

Yeah ok, I was under a different impression ! I did a different type of calculations so was thinking that its going to be more !

now for 2nd pdm 37mm
y30 (121x57x20)
top plate id=40
vcid=37.50
vcod=38.88
wire gauge=29 awg
winding height=25.13
bl=10.66 tm
xmax=7.5mm
top plate thickness=10 (you have to increase the width of bottom plate too)
bottom plate thickness=9.6mm

Right,but I have a question !! what exactly you mean when you say have to increase the width of the bottom plate ??

And one more thing,Am going to get the pole piece and bottom plate machined in a single block of metal (will not rivet it like others do) so have you taken that into account while simulating ??

did you find the original cones in small quantity,in delhi you wont get it so easily even you could you have to buy a pack.

Yes I was able to find it in loose (though it costs more but...) ! Tell you what Ravs let me know how much does this pack costs and what type of cones are available perhaps we can share and pick it up ! you can keep as much as you want and rest send it to me ! what do you say ??

Am running into some issues with the coil,though have got a source to get them wound but still looking for a better one !

Have received a sample of 3 coils in total,32MM with 22MM of winding done in 33Gauge and one with 34-35 Gauge with 9MM winding and 37MM with same 33Gauge and 22MM !!

So have to test it out and see how they work ! Also the Alu basket it flat at the bottom (not like the stamped steel with space after the spider) so have to figure out how to tackle that issue !

Anything from my end please let me know shall be glad to help you !!

Btw have been in touch with sumit lately ??

Regards.

hi soundsgreat,

here is your third sim

50mm voice coil
pole dia=49mm
wire gauge = 29 awg
top plate internal dia= 53.38
top plate thickness= 10mm
bott plate thickness=7mm
winding height=21.04
xmax=5.52mm
dc resistance =6ohm
force factor=9.90tm (u are using aluminium basket no flux leakage taken into account )

sorry my mistake i mean to say the thickness of bottom plate.

And one more thing,Am going to get the pole piece and bottom plate machined in a single block of metal (will not rivet it like others do) so have you taken that into account while simulating ??

that wont make much of difference.nor the steel frame used instead of alu basket.

Yes I was able to find it in loose (though it costs more but...) ! Tell you what Ravs let me know how much does this pack costs and what type of cones are available perhaps we can share and pick it up ! you can keep as much as you want and rest send it to me ! what do you say ??

iam in need of 18 inchers .you may not be interested in them.any way ill let you know as soon as i go o the market.thanks for so nice offer.

ravs

be a vegeterian

Hi,

Thanks once again for the sims ! Seems to me that 37 Dia is the one,coz thats what making more sense then the 32 and 50 after checking the sims !

sorry my mistake i mean to say the thickness of bottom plate

Thats what,but even then you have given the thickness as 9.6MM so thats not correct ??

that wont make much of difference.nor the steel frame used instead of alu basket.

Well Ravs you are wrong on this one,it does make a lot of difference in the flux generated around the coil (in the air gap) ! have tried both riveting and single piece so only Am telling you ! Also have discussed this with few folks here who also recommend the same !

As with the basket,yes the steel one will suffice if its a good quality stamped steel,but the reason for me to choose the Alu is, One the VC is big one (32 onwards) two more thicker and much lighter (comes to good use when lager sized motor is used ),and finally it will act as a heatsink for the VC (heat of the VC is transferred to the polepiece and top plate ) !

iam in need of 18 inchers .you may not be interested in them.any way ill let you know as soon as i go o the market.thanks for so nice offer.

Hmm 18" wow :eek:!! where all have you tried ? In Lajpat Rai market have you tried Ankit Electronics ? the Shop no is 11,Please try there !! they have all types of spares,Also they are only few (or perhaps the only one in delhi) who seems to have y30 magnets !!

Whenever you visit please check and see,Also if its not too much trouble to you,Kindly check for 6.5" cones and 90 & 100 MM Spiders for me ! Also 120MM and 135MM Y30 Magnets !!

In the mean time I will check here bout the 18" cones and will revert back to you ;)!!

Regards.

" i am in need of 18 inchers "

Take a look at the 36" er

36_12in.jpg

cheers....

Hi,

Hey Sumit glad to see you here :D ! Hope you remember me !

Whoa :eek: are you building that monster ?

keep us hooked on the proceedings !

Regards.

Hi Soundgreat

I remember u very well..... i actually joined this forum just to follow your diy tweeter project....

" you building that monster " yes i am........ 4 pieces for a delhi based recording studio..... i would surely update once i start the actual process and if the studio people don't have any issues ..... just running some simulations for now.....

cheers
sumit

Hi,

Hi Soundgreat

I remember u very well..... i actually joined this forum just to follow your diy tweeter project....

" you building that monster " yes i am........ 4 pieces for a delhi based recording studio..... i would surely update once i start the actual process and if the studio people don't have any issues ..... just running some simulations for now.....

cheers
sumit

Am very glad to hear that Sumit :) ! actually that tweeter was finished ages ago but have not posted due obvious reasons !! Am very happy with the results !

Will be looking forward to the MONSTROUS build of yours !! Also will get in touch with you for some 6.5" drivers,have had tonnes of issues so could never actually get back to you ! Am trying to go ahead with the idea what I mentioned you in my earlier mails ;)!!

Regards.

Hi Soundsgreat

Which cone did u finally select for your tweeter metal or silk? Do u have some metal domes left over? .. r u making tweeters for others ..if yes please make two for me too... if u r ready will mail u detail requirements...... And please post some mea. data of the tweeter.... its always good and informative to know what DIYers are achiving.........

" Also will get in touch with you for some 6.5" drivers,have had tonnes of issues so could never actually get back to you ! Am trying to go ahead with the idea what I mentioned you in my earlier mails !!" >> Sure...anytime....may be we can exchange drivers :)

cheers
Sumit

Hi,

Thanks for the offer Sumit !

Hi Soundsgreat

Which cone did u finally select for your tweeter metal or silk? Do u have some metal domes left over? .. r u making tweeters for others ..if yes please make two for me too... if u r ready will mail u detail requirements...... And please post some mea. data of the tweeter.... its always good and informative to know what DIYers are achiving.........

" Also will get in touch with you for some 6.5" drivers,have had tonnes of issues so could never actually get back to you ! Am trying to go ahead with the idea what I mentioned you in my earlier mails !!" >> Sure...anytime....may be we can exchange drivers :)

cheers
Sumit

I finalised the metal for the current one !! I have 2 or so left will have to check ! As of now it was purely for my own sake but for you I can always try !! Please do mail me and let me see what best I can do ! As for the data my Woofer Tester went Kaput along with my Mobo :mad: !! So planning to buy one,so once I do then surely will post the data !

I concurrently also Am working on a new (sort of improved) Tweeter (call it MK2 if you will) with the below dome unit !! it has little better characteristics in the higher frequency range and also has polycarbonate former (as opposed Alu) so will that do for you??? I've also increased the magnet size to 84MM from 72 and have done some fine tuning for said improvement ! so should be good !

Dome Unit

Btw what do you prefer the dayton woofer tester or Smith&Larson Woofer tester ?? or any other better one's you suggest ???

As for Diyer's achieving,Well you started the trend so you are sort of Torch Bearer for Us Kind( In No way Am comparing myself with you;) but you get the idea ):clapping: ! A big thanks to you !!

Will wait for you mail then......

Regards.

" i am in need of 18 inchers "

Take a look at the 36" er

36_12in.jpg

cheers....

hi sumitdutta77,

can you post the pic from the front side of the basket.and how much do they cost.iam getting 18" cast frame basket for 800 rs. its a chinese make.n

thanks

ravs

be a vegeterian.....

Whenever you visit please check and see,Also if its not too much trouble to you,Kindly check for 6.5" cones and 90 & 100 MM Spiders for me ! Also 120MM and 135MM Y30 Magnets !!

Regards.[/QUOTE]

hi soundsgreat,

i reply you back asap .

thanks

ravs

be a vegeterian....

" As of now it was purely for my own sake but for you I can always try !! Please do mail me and let me see what best I can do !" Thank u soooo much...

" As for the data my Woofer Tester went Kaput along with my Mobo !! So planning to buy one,so once I do then surely will post the data !" >> My woofer tester went bad within 2weeks of use... A little static somewhere and its done.... I prefer Smith&Larson over Daytone, but the latter is quicker ( better for initial measurements, but for a bit more accuracy use S&L )... I personally don't use these anymore for final measurements... i preffer a dual trace stroage oscilloscope + signal generator + microphone approach....

"I concurrently also Am working on a new (sort of improved) Tweeter (call it MK2 if you will) with the below dome unit !! it has little better characteristics in the higher frequency range and also has polycarbonate former (as opposed Alu) so will that do for you??? I've also increased the magnet size to 84MM from 72 and have done some fine tuning for said improvement ! so should be good !" >> Thanks man....I would go for this dome then.... just wanted to know why don't u try some NIB magnets..... will write details in the mail....

thanks & regards
Sumit

Last edited:
"can you post the pic from the front side of the basket.">> dear ravs....this image is from the front side only.... human eyes have difficulty in recognizing concave sperical structures.... the 12" basket in kept inside the 36" basket....

see for example :- http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_etm7WwG71Ck/SeSekMnouZI/AAAAAAAAAQY/wjEATGtrwx4/s400/hollow_face.jpg

" and how much do they cost. i am getting 18" cast frame basket for 800 rs" >> this one costs Rs2500 without custom holes....

"can you post the pic from the front side of the basket.">> dear ravs....this image is from the front side only.... human eyes have difficulty in recognizing concave sperical structures.... the 12" basket in kept inside the 36" basket....

see for example :- http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_etm7WwG71Ck/SeSekMnouZI/AAAAAAAAAQY/wjEATGtrwx4/s400/hollow_face.jpg

" and how much do they cost. i am getting 18" cast frame basket for 800 rs" >> this one costs Rs2500 without custom holes....

hi sumitdatta,

i dont know what are you trying to say if you dont want to help thats ok.anyway thanks for so friendly and helpful behaviour.

ravs

thanks

be a vegeterian........

Hi,

hi soundsgreat,

i reply you back asap .

Thanks a tonne my friend !! will await a reply from you,alternatively you can reach me here [email protected]

i dont know what are you trying to say if you dont want to help thats ok.anyway thanks for so friendly and helpful behaviour.

Ravs don't misunderstand man,I think he was merely trying to illustrate the fact ;)!! as you can see has quoted the price as you have asked !

I prefer Smith&Larson over Daytone, but the latter is quicker ( better for initial measurements, but for a bit more accuracy use S&L )... I personally don't use these anymore for final measurements... i preffer a dual trace stroage oscilloscope + signal generator + microphone approach...

Sumit I too like the S&L that was I had ! but this one seemed ok so just thought of giving it a try !! as with measuring through your way,Well I'll skip :p !!

Thanks man....I would go for this dome then.... just wanted to know why don't u try some NIB magnets..... will write details in the mail....

You are most welcome, Yeah sure mail me and I shall take a look at it !!

Regards.

" i dont know what are you trying to say if you dont want to help thats ok.anyway thanks for so friendly and helpful behaviour " Dear Ravs...sorry buddy if u felt bad..... i would be more than happy to help anyone if its possible..aren't we all here to help each other out????

The question that u asked was "can you post the pic from the front side of the basket" and the image posted was taken from the front side of the basket only.... so i thought, u thought of it as taken from the back.... i got 2 more similar questions like your on other sites too..... thats why i posted the example... its not your eyes i was talking about ..its for the hole human race... all human eyes have difficulty in recognizing concave sperical structures. In our case its the basket that is actually lying on the ground with face up but looking at the image sometimes makes it look like its facing the floor.... hope this helps....

" Ravs don't misunderstand man,I think he was merely trying to illustrate the fact !! " >> absolutely.....

thanks
Sumit

Sumit
wrap quote button (like a callout) u can use instead of ""

soundsgreat,sumit and all doing this driver design and fabrication...
indian diy peoples' eyes are on your work ...

there is a good market of these products even the average indian music listener
is willing to go for a better audio product provided it is available in india .

Last edited:
hi soundsgreat,

sorry for so late response.i was in the market today
i have seen couple of 6 inchi cone simple foam surround paper cone cost
for a cone 12 rs cost of packet (25) 300rs.with 1/2 inch rubber surround chinese made looks good 25 rs p/cone.packet for 575 rs.i bought some
5.25 inchi cones with rubber surround.cost 20 rs looks very decent.10 inchi
original siva cones with foam surround 22rs/cone.i will post pics of 10" and 5.25" cones tommorrow.i forgot to ask the 120mm magnets price.i think
40/50 rs for ferrite ring .i ll confirm that next week.

as for my 18s. original siva cone and spider 400/30 rs. 280mm y25 ferrite magnet 900 rs top/bottom steel plates for 1000 rs.basket 1000 rs.i was looking for 5"vc with extended piece pole but only 4 " available without pole extension.iam again stuck .

regards

ravs

be a vegeterian......

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back