My final decision..Denon 1713 and Wharfedale DX1

Hi umapati,

After going through your post, i have decided to go for Denon 1713+Wharfedale DX 1. But when i go to one shop, he have 1713 + Wharfedale DX 1 and 1713 + Definitive procinema 600 for same price.
Also shop guy is suggesting me to go for definitive and telling it is better than wharfedale. i listened both several times and couldn't find a difference. but my wife is telling wharfedale is better.

Did you get any chance to audition 1713 with definitive. please suggest me which speaker i should select from these 2. both are same price.

Thanks,
Sorry buddy.. I haven't auditioned Definitive package..But Wharfdale-DX-1 is indeed a super performer..You will not regret if you select them..I have given reviews of all the packages which I have auditioned..Still some other forum members who might have tested definitive package can help you..

Umapati, matoind, Rupam, Angynagpal

Thanks you all for the excellent reviews and comments to all the question we posed..
The DX1 shipment has arrived in Mumbai and dealers are now fulfilling orders..

An update on my DX1+X1000 combo. It will be installed on Wed, 28th.

Looking forward to watch movies and listen to music on the system..

Thanks you all for the excellent reviews and comments to all the question we posed..

Congrats on your purchase. I think my DX-1 have gotten better after some usage.

Congrats buddy..Enjoy the system and do post your reviews and any additional feature you find on X1000..All the BEST..

Dear Guru's...

I am new to this hifi world. Based on reviews on this forum and this thread and the demo I have decided to go for Wharfedale DX1 + Yahama (Model not sure as which one is compatible). The demo I took was Yahama + Wharfedale mc 60 or 70 series.

I have couple of queries...can someone guide me please?

Requirement

Usage: 85% Movies, DVD's, Tatasky HD, internet downloaded content.
Rest 15% Music old Lata songs.

**Note** I am planning to buy Projector for my living room and currently in process of shortlisting and I am going thru reviews on projector in the same hifivision site. Very informative I must say !! **** Hence request guru's on this site to guide me on the best speaker setup for my overall plan. i.e I am looking for "theater in a home" experience both in the audio and video area. First purchase would be the AVR and the 5.1 speaker set ***

Budget: 55/70 K max including AVR & complete Speakers set.

Preference: Yahama series any model which is best fit for Wharfedale DX1 or MC100

Queries

1. I have Living + Dining/Kitchen common area layout i.e Open Kitchen type. The living area size is size of square shape area of 13*13 . The listening distance will be 13 feet from the TV unit. Can we get surround effect even in square shaped room? (Usually the living rooms are found of rectangle shape).

2. Will DX1 sufficient for 13*13 size room area? Can I also consider MC100 series so that I can save on cost. i,e will MC100 be sufficient for 13*13 room area?

3. What's the precise difference between MC100 v/s DX1. (just curiosity question).

4. I read somewhere on this forum that the amplifier has to be more powerful than the speakers? On the Waferdale site, it says '
'DX-1 SATELLITE Recommended Amp (RMS) 20 80W'
'DX-1 CENTRE Recommended Amp (RMS) 30 100W'
'DX-1 SUBWOOFER recommended Amp - not mentioned'

So in such case, what should be the minimum and maximum output wattage of AVR so that the AVR is not overheated / speakers are not damaged?

5. Any suggestions as where can I get the best deal on this package in Pune? The demo person was saying that MC100 he can give for around 38K but he was not confirmed about the DX1 series.

6. Yamaha AVR model number which will be the best fit for DX1 or MC100 set?

Queries

1. I have Living + Dining/Kitchen common area layout i.e Open Kitchen type. The living area size is size of square shape area of 13*13 . The listening distance will be 13 feet from the TV unit. Can we get surround effect even in square shaped room? (Usually the living rooms are found of rectangle shape). ---Generally square shaped rooms are considered bad for HT and music systems as standing waves cause a lot of interference with direct sound waves.

2. Will DX1 sufficient for 13*13 size room area? Can I also consider MC100 series so that I can save on cost. i,e will MC100 be sufficient for 13*13 room area? Yes, both the speakers will be sufficient

3. What's the precise difference between MC100 v/s DX1. (just curiosity question). DX-1 satellites have Tweeters, MS 100 uses full range drivers, but contrary to common misconception, full range drivers can produce identical upper range. Generally the 2 way speaker system uses a crossover which makes them more costly. DX-1 has woven PP cone whereas MS 100 has paper cone. Which one is better? I would say both depending on the speaker design and other more important factors.

4. I read somewhere on this forum that the amplifier has to be more powerful than the speakers? On the Waferdale site, it says '
'DX-1 SATELLITE Recommended Amp (RMS) 20 80W'
'DX-1 CENTRE Recommended Amp (RMS) 30 100W'
'DX-1 SUBWOOFER recommended Amp - not mentioned' Its a powered subwoofer, which means it has its own amp inside it. You only need to feed the sound signal. BTW the sub of DX-1 is 5 watt less powerful than MS 100

Any modern entry level amp will drive them smoothly. My Denon 1513 is 110 watts per channel. I never use more than 60% of volume. Don't bother with specs too much, here the result: Sound. A loudspeaker is only as good as the signal it gets. Your amplifier should have ample reserves of power - a low powered amplifier could easily run out of steam and the resulting distortion is unpleasontto listen to and could damage your speakers. A larger amplifier will usually sound better and enhance the reliability and performance of your loudspeakers. Always turn down the volume ifthe musicstarts to sound distorted. I suggest you to buy Yamaha 373.

Last edited:
Hello Rupam,

Many thanks for you swift reply!!! Appreciated!

I have indeed read your detailed review about Denon and MC 100 experience. That's the reason that I too started looking for HT setup with similar combo!! Regarding the room concern , can any tweak be done with regards to speaker placements? i.e although the room is 13*13 bit odd size, can I place the speaker such that from top view the front two and the rear two appears at the corner of rectangle shape? i,e the FR FL bit close to each other?

Any special consideration needed with regards to sub woofer placement in such room size?

Is MC100 also having active sub woofer?
On site its mentioned as "MS-100 Subwoofer - Active Reflex Subwoofer" and for "DX-1 SUBWOOFER - Active subwoofer with reflex loading" I assume both of them are active.

for query no. 3 you mentioned 'other more important factors' ...if you do not mind could you please elaborate. i.e I see that there is price difference between DX1 and MC100 so making myself double sure that I am not loosing something important in DX1 if I go with the MC100.

Regarding AVR Yahama 373 .. on the site it says ..
5-channel 500W = 100W x 5 (6 ohms, 1 kHz, 0.9 % THD)
675W = 135W x 5 (6 ohms, 1 kHz, 10 % THD, JEITA)

now bit confused here again :sad: . In this case should we say 373 is 100 watt per channel or 135 Watt per channel.

sorry .. bit confused ...so .. many questions.. :sad:

Regards,
Shrinivas D

Hi Shrinivas D,

Sorry for replying late.Your most of the queries have been answered by Rupam..But still I will add my opinion..Both DX-1 and MC100 are very good speakers.You will not get dissatisfied with anyone of them.Normally I also had never gone beyond 60% of volume, (though I have checked it initially on higher volumes).My room size is bigger than yours and I have placed FL & FR somewhat closer and i am enjoying it.Its Fantastic..All the best...

Normally I also had never gone beyond 60% of volume,

I wonder why almost everyone I heard never go above 60-65% volume. I always need to crank up the volume to 74-78 (80 sometimes, depending on the source. 80 being 0db) when watching movies to get a sound which I like. Hope its just my preference and not my setup giving less output :sad:

I wonder why almost everyone I heard never go above 60-65% volume. I always need to crank up the volume to 74-78 (80 sometimes, depending on the source. 80 being 0db) when watching movies to get a sound which I like. Hope its just my preference and not my setup giving less output :sad:
:) I also love to keep the volume vey high..I have other system at my native that I always enjoy at higher volumes but in Mumbai..we have to keep it at moderate level and not disturbing our neighbors..Exceptionally we can increase the volume but not always...:):):)

Folks(Umapati, matoind, Rupam, Angynagpal),

Can you confirm which one you opted for. I am in the same dilema as to go with what speakers for denon x1000. I am considering wharfdale dx1 and MC100 . Is there a place where i can try this combination in bangalore.

Please tell me which one you have opted for ? and how is it .

I am looking for my living room 18*25 size

I bought it for Rs.69000/- with bill and warranty..(Denon 1713 for Rs.29000+RS.40000 for Wharfedale)

Hi Umapati ,
As I am coming closer to finalize the DX1, a big set back. I found the price of the speaker alone is around what you bought the av+speakers. I am from bangalore, and from the http://www.designeraudio.in/products/wharfedale/wharfedale-pricelist.pdf or from http://www.hifimart.com/wharfedale-dx-1-home-theatre-cinema-package-112 is a whooping 27,000 rupees in just one year ??? :sad::sad::sad:. am reading it wrong ?

I thought I am very close to enjoy what you have been doing so far ? I envy you.

Hello everyone! I was searching info about DX-1, because I'm going to buy this system. I found this forum is the best place about it in the whole net )) Umapati, matoind, Rupam, Angynagpal, AshD and others - thank you guys for your comments, very useful!!!

I have a question to those of you who had the opportunity to listen to some audiosets for yourself - has anyone tried Magnat Interior 5001A? This and DX-1 are my candidats.

What kind of warranty do we get for wharfedale speakers? is it wharfedale India warranty or some seller warranty? First of all is there any service center for wharfedale? If not then what is the meaning of warranty?

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back