My First DIY Audio Project

soulforged

I finally got around building my first pair of speakers - Fostex FE206e based BiBs, perhaps the simplest of all speaker designs.

Got the drivers from Madisound early this...sorry last (its 2011 already!) year. Initial plans were to build a pair of Sachikos but as our new apartment's interiors took shape, we realized that Sachikos would be tough to place. Enter the BiBs, which could be placed right at the corners.

They finally were completed last week with the help of my carpenter. The listening experience started off on a sorry note...5 minutes into the first song, I noted that the right speaker was only buzzing but no sound. After some anxious moments it came out that the amp was the culprit resulting in this thread.

Connected the speakers to Zone B of my Yammy RXV463 AVR and the sessions been quite satisfying. Been throwing all types of music at them for the last 4 days. The bass is taut with a clear midrange. The soundstage is pretty deep though due to the placement of the speakers, it appears to be slightly above your head. I haven't done any measurements but on some songs, I felt the speakers going pretty low. I did feel them struggle a bit while playing some of the more complex sections of Porcupine Tree's Fear of a Blank Planet.

The drivers need about 100 hours to break in, so will give it a couple of months before forming a firm opinion. Now I am looking for a tube amp to pair them with. Budgetary concerns have led to this thread.

The BiB cabinets are 7' tall! The final dimension came to -
Ext Depth - 13.44''
Ext Width - 9.42''
Ext Height - 88.24''
Line Length - 172.62''
Z-driver - 35''

Materials used, 19mm Ply for the cabinet, sacrificed pillows and cushions for stuffing, felt for lining, CAT5 cables lying in home for the wiring and laminates on the outside. The seams have been caulked to prevent air leaks.

Some pics -

At the workshop -
At_the_Workshop.jpg

Inside.jpg

Fitting the drivers -
fitting_the_drivers.jpg

Placed at the corner -
Placed_in_corner.jpg

My setup -
the_setup.jpg

:cheers:

Last edited:
hi soulforged-

very elegant!

and not just the loudspeakers - the room and contents too! -also the scale model of the 1959 cadillac eldorado!

regds suri

Thanx Suri! you were one of the inspirations that got me started...

You could catch the model of the car from that tiny pic! amazing!!! :)

Where's the car? I must be getting old! Well done on the speakers. I'm sure you will enjoy the sound. I have the 167E in a MLTL design, mated to a Class A 2A3 amp, and they make sweet music.

Neat job. Congratulations and enjoy your music. Just curious don't these designs need ports ?

off topic : I have beetle car replica. (I think model 1300) :)

Soulforged,

Awesome work. I couldnt tell apart till I saw the drivers in white color... It was looking like a fantastic wall design.... Very nice .. Cost of DIY please?

@Suri, Wow suri you must have eagle eyes as Keith said :) . It took me a while to find where it was :rolleyes: .

Happy new year!!!!!

Cheers,
Kittu

@ Soulforged, fantastic effort, they look awesome, must be sounding awesome too - Enjoy!

@ Suri, think its the '60 Eldorado.

@ George, the car model is placed on top of the smaller right side floor stander speaker, dunno which ones they are, can you clear which ones soulforged ?

I think its the '60 Eldorado.
soulforged -

lift that scale model -

read the legend at the base-

and resolve this dispute!:p

AND WHEN I CAN LISTEN TO THESE ?!!!! (your creations)

Last edited:
Very nice mate. Will drop in soon for an audition. Nice decor too:).

Nice to see so many automobile enthusiasts. Suri, George and Denom I already knew. You too Hiten?! I love the Beetle too and would love to own an original sometime.

Great job! A nice SET amp will be a good match for these
high efficiency speakers, like the Tubelab SimpleSE or
the Get*Set*Go at diytube.com .

Thanx everybody :)

Quad...thanx for all your advice...would love to listen to your Sachiko-SET setup...will check out the amps you've mentioned.

To answer your questions -
- The car model is a 59 eldorado...
- The smaller speakers are Kef Coda 90s...
- The drivers cost me about 12K from Madisound (delivery charged for a US address). I haven't yet paid for the boards and laminate but my take is around 6K...the total would be about 18K.
- You are welcome to check out my setup any weekend, just PM me...

:signthankspin:

Thanks Kaushik, that's the Fostex recommended design, Anilva has built those. Didn't go for them for room placement reasons...BTW need some soldering help from you...

@Hiten - It'is a Voigt Pipe design, like a horn...it opens upwards...
...just ask what help u need?

can i listen to these someday

Soulforged, had been intrigued by your signature after noticing the new additions, when you posted in one of the what floorstander threads.

Its great to see the DIY clan here grow. The speakers and your room, the tall cd racks, all look heavenly! I will PM you next time when I am in B'lore for a dekho n suno of these Fostex's.

Suri, how the hell did you spot that car man?

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back