My first DIY speakers

Anil kumar

Hi all, this is my first DIY project. Speaker system is based on D'Appolito MTM-based loudspeaker configuration, uses Vifa drivers with 3 internal braces with double layered front baffle. The lining is padded with 1" sponge and filled with Dacron stuffing & port is tuned to 37Hz. This is a well-rounded and capable speaker that is well suited to many types of music and movies. Bass extention and musicality is it's most impressive with surprising detail and clarity and natural with deep bass. Each weighs 25kgs, uses second order Linkwitz-Riley 2.5 way crossover. Most of the carpentry work done by me.
Drivers & components procured locally. Thanks to Corrson for stocking & promoting DIY activity in India.

Regards,
Anil kumar.

musicmatterslatest.jpg

Front.jpg

Closeup.jpg

Side.jpg

Back.jpg

Last edited:
Excellent pics and whoa great speakers. I am not too much of a DIY but its great to have a talented one here.

Hi, i recently completed my DIY speakers. Its a D'Appolito MTM speakers.
I have used vifa drivers. This is a well-rounded and capable speaker that is well suited to many types of music and movies. Bass extention and musicality is it's most impressive with surprising detail and clarity and natural with deep bass. Each weighs 25kgs, uses second order Linkwitz-Riley 2.5 way crossover. Most of the components and drivers procured locally.

Regards,
Anil kumar.
Bangalore

Hi! Anil,

Congrats on your DIY spks. Great to know that there are still people around to still do DIY. I remember my DIY days.

Have a blast.

The speaker pictures are all 1.6 MB in size. I do not have Adobe Photoshop to reduce file size of the picture. Any idea how I can do that.

Hi, install Photoshop go to save as option, select photo jpeg in the file
format type. Dialogue box opens asking for image option, select medium
or low occording to size of the picture then save, very simple.

Regards,
Anil

The speaker pictures are all 1.6 MB in size. I do not have Adobe Photoshop to reduce file size of the picture. Any idea how I can do that.

Last edited:
Here goes. The big unfinished towers are made with Vifa drivers. The brown ones are made with Peerless India drivers. I used the spinwave online compression thingie. Some white X mark has appeared on the photo. But I guess you guys get the idea.

Vivek

Last edited:
May be it's a trial version. Looks good. Where did you get the design? is the cabinet and xover made occording to driver specifications?

Regards, Anil

Here goes. The big unfinished towers are made with Vifa drivers. The brown ones are made with Peerless India drivers. I used the spinwave online compression thingie. Some white X mark has appeared on the photo. But I guess you guys get the idea.

Vivek

Yes. The drivers were all measured with help from a friend. He also helped me design the crossovers. They are Linkwitz Riley. Fourth order for the tweeter and I think second order for the woofer. I have written it down somewhere. I will check and let you know. The woofers are in parallel and have a zobel network. Effective internal volume is about 44L.

Are you using your speakers for HT or just music?

I am building two subwoofers for HT with Infinity Reference 1230 car sub drivers. Each will be housed in a separate box and will be equalised with Linkwitz Transform circuits. The boxes are still under construction. I am aiming to achieve 35Hz. I wanted to ask if you know if inexpensive PA amps are available to power my subs or do you know if any amp kits are available. I was thinkig of building two amp modules but there is a big problem of fake semiconductors in the market. So I need to be careful.

Vivek

Last edited:
Good work, one more DIY enthusiast in our list. I am using this speakers for music. I also have Tannoy fusion 2 bookshelf speakers. I recently added YAMAHA CA-610 (1979) and Pioneer SA-9100 (1974) to my
amp list, both sounds wonderful. Regarding your sub amp, you have to procure it thro ebay.US or Parts Express, they are excellent. Good subwoofer amps are not avilable in India for DIY use.

Anil

Yes. The drivers were all measured with help from a friend. He also helped me design the crossovers. They are Linkwitz Riley. Fourth order for the tweeter and I think second order for the woofer. I have written it down somewhere. I will check and let you know. The woofers are in parallel and have a zobel network. Effective internal volume is about 44L.

Are you using your speakers for HT or just music?

I am building two subwoofers for HT with Infinity Reference 1230 car sub drivers. Each will be housed in a separate box and will be equalised with Linkwitz Transform circuits. The boxes are still under construction. I am aiming to achieve 35Hz. I wanted to ask if you know if inexpensive PA amps are available to power my subs or do you know if any amp kits are available. I was thinkig of building two amp modules but there is a big problem of fake semiconductors in the market. So I need to be careful.

Vivek

The woofers cost me Rs 1620 each. The tweeters cost about Rs 1200 each. I bought a 4 feet x 8 feet sheet of MDF and built the box myself. Plus the cost of enamelled wire for the coils and polypropylene capacitors, all cost about Rs 1000.

What is the thickness of front baffle? P17 sounds better than Tc18 because of polyproplyne cone, mids sounds better and can go down to 37hz. Initially i designed Transmissionline speakers, i did not like it, later i changed the design, built a bassreflex enclosure with 3 braces to minimise standing waves and vibrations, tuned to 40hz. Post few more closeup shots with xover.

Anil

The woofers cost me Rs 1620 each. The tweeters cost about Rs 1200 each. I bought a 4 feet x 8 feet sheet of MDF and built the box myself. Plus the cost of enamelled wire for the coils and polypropylene capacitors, all cost about Rs 1000.

The front baffles are 18mm thick. I have not used much bracing actually. As you can see, the speakers are still unfinished. Maybe I will do it shortly.

Double the front baffle, sandwitch two 18mm MDF for better performance.
Internal bracing is a must for tower speakers. I would like to audition your speakers. Please mail me your contact# to [email protected]

Regards.

The front baffles are 18mm thick. I have not used much bracing actually. As you can see, the speakers are still unfinished. Maybe I will do it shortly.

I have downloaded lot of articles and write up on DIY speaker building.
I have done lot of home work before building my speakers. I do have a very good article on bracing and alignment of inductors in xovers, if you want i can post it.

Regards.Anil
------------------------------------------------------
PIONEER SA-9100, YAMAHA CA-610, KENWOOD KA-6150,
ONKYO 6210, SANSUI T-909, TANNOY FUSION2

I have begun to dismantle my speakers for more bracing. And I also need to finish the cabinets.

Last edited:
Back