My first ever Audio related project - Sterio Amp !

marX

Hi guys !

I'm about to start my journey in the DIY electronics with an Amp build.
As of now, I'm very busy with work and only free time I get is on Sunday. So, time is a little bit scarce.
Thats why I'm thinking of a kit amp.

I want it to have good power (around 200W rms) and relatively distortion free.
My budget is 2k max :p

I already have seen one in ebay
STEREO AUDIO POWER AMPLIFIER IRFP250N 200WATTS* | eBay

What do you think ?

Also, I don't have any electronics stuff with me at the moment. SO, please advice me in buying these items too !

1. Soldering iron (do a modular one with changeable tip is needed ?)
2. Multimeter
3. De-soldering station
4. Any other stuff ?

Thank you !

Hi guys !

As of now, I'm very busy with work and only free time I get is on Sunday. So, time is a little bit scarce.

What do you think ?

Also, I don't have any electronics stuff with me at the moment. SO, please advice me in buying these items too !

2. Multimeter
3. De-soldering station
4. Any other stuff ?

Thank you !

If you want to get a kick out of DIY, build from scratch, it will also cost much less. The kit which you have referred to in the ebay.in advert is probably sourced from Thakaraparambu in Trivandrum. I am sure these are available for much less out there, all you'll need to do is walk around and enquire in all the shops, the prices can vary between shops. Also the spec sheets mentioned for these assembled kits are usually prepared by getting the specs of the semiconductors online and making a mix of these. I am sure these amps are not lab tested for accurate specs. Also some sellers replicate these amps from readily available commercial circuits and replicate the spec charts of the originals as well :)

Last edited:
If you want to get a kick out of DIY, build from scratch, it will also cost much less. The kit which you have referred to in the ebay.in advert is probably sourced from Thakaraparambu in Trivandrum. I am sure these are available for much less out there, all you'll need to do is walk around and enquire in all the shops, the prices can vary between shops. Also the spec sheets mentioned for these assembled kits are usually prepared by getting the specs of the semiconductors online and making a mix of these. I am sure these amps are not lab tested for accurate specs. Also some sellers replicate these amps from readily available commercial circuits and replicate the spec charts of the originals as well :)

Is there any Electronics Industrial Estate in Thakaraparambu ?

Regards,
Suresh

The amp is an entry level Denon from the 1980s. Does not come with any kind of reputation. Also the seller has apparantly factored the shipping cost as well, in the selling price (there's nothing known as a free lunch after all)
Yup, there is no free lunch !

I already decided on assembling the amp kit from DIY Audio Cart mentioned in the second post.
BTW, yesterday he told me about the ordinary transformers (ferrite core) vs toroidal ones.
I don't have the cash at the moment but if its worth it, I can cough it up. (it costs around 3k)

What do you guys say ?

Also, my uncle have a non-working Aiwa V8000 (68W x2, 4 way stereo speakers). Can I use its speakers instead of building one from scratch ?

Well, if you can manage the toroidal ones it would be good. I have been using toroidal for my projects for sometime now and find them reliable and relatively hum-free....

Regarding the speakers...are the speakers working???If they are working then you should give it a shot....anyhow it is DIY. If you like the sound then keep it...else change...check the impedances though.

If the speakers are not working then, you need to do some troubleshooting to find out what is the issue and fix it...if fixable...

Well, if you can manage the toroidal ones it would be good. I have been using toroidal for my projects for sometime now and find them reliable and relatively hum-free....

Regarding the speakers...are the speakers working???If they are working then you should give it a shot....anyhow it is DIY. If you like the sound then keep it...else change...check the impedances though.

If the speakers are not working then, you need to do some troubleshooting to find out what is the issue and fix it...if fixable...
Don't have the cash at the moment. :(

I don't know ! I can only hope that it works !!

Yup. I'm not a electronics guy but I'm gonna try.

I'm jettisoning the "reusing the old aiwa speakers" idea for family reasons !

Now, I'm stuck with a miniature JBL speaker system with a blown out psu :doh:

So guys, if you find any good deals on drivers or speaker systems, please let me know. I'm open to buying used stuff as well.

Last edited:
Update:
I got the amp kit from @bibin3210 along with speaker protection kit, psu, soldering iron, solder and flux.
Wonderful guy :thumbsup:

And now, I have changed my mind....I was planning for a passive cross over setup but now, I think I should go for a 2 way active cross over >>> (Sub) + (midbass + mids + treble).

Now on to questions !

1. I have a small JBL speakers system (stereo) with a sub-out port. Bibin told me that I can use it for an active cross over + pre-amp. I think he is correct but what do you guys say ?
2. Does the sub need to be 2 channel as well (L for one and R for another) for good soundstage and resolution ?
3. How much power the Peerless 12" woofer need to perform well ?
And, can it rattle my neighbour's window panes ? :p

Hi guys !

What do you think ?

2. Multimeter
3. De-soldering station
4. Any other stuff ?

Thank you !

Hello dear,
think u have the basic knowledge of electronics and the assembling skills. As for the Tools:
Soldering iron- soldron make.
desoldering- goot make pump
multimeter- analog is good for you always go for a high ipedence one.

doing from scrstch is less expensive. kits cost too much.

doing from scratch is less expensive. kits cost too much.

I dont agree.
Buying the necessary parts,the time taken for it,building the amp,debugging,getting more parts,tweaking,making a better revision,petrol all take up considerable amount of money(and time).
Unless you know the exact end result which is absolutely perfect,its not going to be cheaper.

I dont agree.
Buying the necessary parts,the time taken for it,building the amp,debugging,getting more parts,tweaking,making a better revision,petrol all take up considerable amount of money(and time).
Unless you know the exact end result which is absolutely perfect,its not going to be cheaper.

I'd second what Suraj just said, talking from my recent DIY adventures/experiences. Buying a kit will be economical and much less time consuming but YMMV !!

Hello dear,
think u have the basic knowledge of electronics and the assembling skills. As for the Tools:
Soldering iron- soldron make.
desoldering- goot make pump
multimeter- analog is good for you always go for a high ipedence one.

doing from scrstch is less expensive. kits cost too much.

I already got everything..almost (gonna buy the transformer today.

And as Suraj and akki says, its so much easier to get a kit and take it from there.
But yeah, I might be building my stuff from scratch after I get to finish the DCircuit Design course from MIT Online Learning Centre !!

I dont agree.

hi, as for the procurement of components, yeah, its expensive. my comment was on a strict diy basis. I mean the complete joy and thrill is on doing it from scratch. that is entirely diferent from assembling a kit. I feel the kit version is nearly like buying a commercial product. so I like the other way round. but not for the novice. thank you for the comment.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back