My first impression with Denon DL 103

Hi,

Requires trimming of the connecting pins and soldering wires from the base of the pins.

Anil,that is some very tricky surgery. Soldering the wires to the base of the pins without damaging the coils (heat) is the tough part.

You might find this link helpful. Some folks experiences in fitting a D103 in an EMT arm/headshell.

EMT 927 - Page 2 - pink fish media

Regards
Rajiv

Anil, Rajiv,

Isn't there a diamond to regular SME square pin connector which can be used and then a regular Headshell? I faintly remember coming across something like this or was it only the ortofon A adaptor... Hmmm...

Regards

Edit: I'm sure you're aware of this being a super diy guy. Nevertheless just in case, attaching something metal to the end of the cart pin nearer the cart body acts as a heatsink when soldering. It stuck in my head :)

Last edited:
Hi,

Anil,that is some very tricky surgery. Soldering the wires to the base of the pins without damaging the coils (heat) is the tough part.

You might find this link helpful. Some folks experiences in fitting a D103 in an EMT arm/headshell.

EMT 927 - Page 2 - pink fish media

Regards
Rajiv

Rajiv,

The fun is in this, though it is tricky. There are few pictures of DL-103 in a EMT headshell which are better (without removing the 103 body). It basically fits tightly with pins bent. With pins cut, it can fit comfortably, which is what I intend to do. Should be a good experiment. Also as you mentioned, I must be quite careful with the soldering iron, not to destroy the moving coils.

Thanks.

Hi Anilva

Why would you want to try out a Denon DL 103. I have practically no knowledge of analogue stuff but i would go with the experts. Steffano Passini who is an authority on EMT tables has very clearly gone on record saying not to change anything in an EMT. Even Jonathan Weiss of Oswald Audio recommends not to change anything in a EMT set up.

Hi Anilva

Why would you want to try out a Denon DL 103. I have practically no knowledge of analogue stuff but i would go with the experts. Steffano Passini who is an authority on EMT tables has very clearly gone on record saying not to change anything in an EMT. Even Jonathan Weiss of Oswald Audio recommends not to change anything in a EMT set up.

Prem,

I am not changing anything, just trying another cartridge. I now have a spare headshell with a spare DL-103 and I am trying to get this working without altering any geometry whatsoever. I am not doing any mods. I can always put an EMT TSD-15 on the original headshell and get on with it. Being a obsessive DIYer, I just want to try this out before giving up. I will not dare to alter the EMT 929 tonearm or change the shell etc.

Here are couple of pics of some attempts by others.

Cheers.

Attachments

• 009-3.jpg
    009-3.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 72
  • EMT TSD-G-Denon 103-2.jpg
    EMT TSD-G-Denon 103-2.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 71
let me know and drop in..would like some expert (y)ears judging as well :)
got a good deal on a used Bobs devices which i picked up..the DL103 shines with one.
i think Viren also uses a Cinemag based stepup..which should be good.

Ah they supposed to be good bobs devices. Had a few mail exchanges with him some time back. Viren had some very unusual advice to offer me. He recommended using it on the low gain value which would use the entire coil then rather use a switch which in one position would use only half or part of the coils. He said using the entire coils sounded far better in his system. Using part sounded a bit thinner. I see merit in this since a lot of good SUTs are optimized around one cart type only. I took a leap of faith in not pursuing the switch option since his tastes match mine quite closely and i think the full sound seems to back what he recommended. Would be great to do a comparison with yours since it's the same cinemag.

Regards

Prem,

I am not changing anything, just trying another cartridge. I now have a spare headshell with a spare DL-103 and I am trying to get this working without altering any geometry whatsoever. I am not doing any mods. I can always put an EMT TSD-15 on the original headshell and get on with it. Being a obsessive DIYer, I just want to try this out before giving up. I will not dare to alter the EMT 929 tonearm or change the shell etc.

Here are couple of pics of some attempts by others.

Cheers.

Aaaah. .... The pictures look like very radical surgeries. Are the cartridge pins filed short, our does one have to cut them? Also, does the EMT head shell's bayonet fit a standard SME bayonet mount?

I have an EMT head shell so asking all these dangerous questions :)

Aaaah. .... The pictures look like very radical surgeries. Are the cartridge pins filed short, our does one have to cut them? Also, does the EMT head shell's bayonet fit a standard SME bayonet mount?

I have an EMT head shell so asking all these dangerous questions :)
You are being modest. I believe you have the most precious EMT 950 and another EMT as well.

I am sure you know, the EMT headshell pin orientation is that of a diamond and the regular SME headshell is that of a regular square. Hence they are not interchangeable.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back