My home entertainment setup

razor4077

I've been waiting to put up this thread for a long time :). My first serious HT purchase was an Onkyo HTIB that I picked up in 2007 at a good discount. 6.1 setup, sounded awesome to me. Then the car audio bug bit me... Illusion Audio Electra & Carbon, JBL, Ground Zero, Clarion, Infinity etc, sound damping, good quality wiring - my expectations of audio quality were evolving, and suddenly the Onkyo wasn't quite cutting it.... mids weren't great, sub was a bit boomy, vocals a little muddled. Ironically, anyone else who heard the setup was very impressed by it!

Somewhere down the line I picked up a Panasonic 42" PV8 plasma TV. Brilliant TV, but sadly I had to leave it behind in Kolkata when I shifted to Mumbai. The risk of transporting a plasma tv was not worth it I thought.

So I had to set things up from scratch. The plan was to build it up slowly - start with a good AVR and bookshelf speakers and add the sub, centre and surrounds gradually. An HD TV, DVD player and media player were also on the cards.

After endless demos and auditions, researching and deliberating, this is how phase 1 of my home entertainment setup had turned out:

TV: Sony Bravia 32 EX400 full HD
AVR: Yamaha RX V667
DVD player: Philips DVP 3996
Media Player: AC Ryan Playon HD
Stereo speakers: KEF Q300
Speaker cables: Chord Carnival Silver Screen
Tata Sky HD
Playstation 2

The media cabinet was custom built. The design was mine, with inspiration taken from designs I found online. Thinking of getting speaker stands for the KEFs but I've already overshot my budget...

So... I am very happy with the way things look and sound. Centre speaker, sub and satellites are next in line, but this isn't going to happen anytime soon!

I will update this thread as and when things develop, and will post feedback on the components from time to time. For now, will let the pics do the talking :)

The setup:

Sony Bravia 32 EX400

KEF Q300 bookshelves:

The media cabinet. Shelves are adjustable, ventilated from the rear

Strong case for a universal remote?!

WIP... took a while to put things together!

Congrats on being bitten by the bug! Nice setup. In the photos, the TV looks a little high but I guess it depends on how far away you're sitting.

the TV looks a little high but I guess it depends on how far away you're sitting.
The Sony chap was recommending I fit it even higher but I brought it down to this level. I guess the pic is a little misleading - height is fine for comfortable viewing.

Nice setup.... Hows d Yamaha V667 ... Music and Movie expereicne... do share yr reviews on it... Did u compare it with Denon 1911 during yr auditions...?
I did want to compare it with the 1911, but no shop carried both AVRs. Heard them separately and then took a call to buy the Yamaha which had a few more features for a similar price. Both are very good receivers... you wouldn't go wrong either way.
Will post experiences after, well... some more experience with this setup ;)

Very nice !!!

Guess sometime down the line you will be tempted to get into 5.1 and then the Q600c will beckon :)

Thanks for the pics.

Nice setup, just for look try to accommodate the cables in the centre of TV or for similarity route an dummy strip by side.

Nice!

Congrats...!

I put mine togther a week back. Denom is the first HFV member to visit my place. Mumbai members should plan a round-about meeting every 2-3 months.

razor,

you may contact magma of this forum for speaker stands - if you are interested. he makes good looking and good quality stuff at agreeable prices. I got mine from him.

BS speakers sound way better when on well made heavier stands. Maybe you could factor this in too in your future plans.

Good setup..

mpw

Nice setup mate, Good to see some love for yamaha 667 growing in the forum.

PS: I think you might need a universal remote ;)

Initial impressions on the Q300: very balanced and smooth, highs aren't too bright (makes for comfortable listening), excellent mids and vocals, strong lows. Unlike some speakers I have heard, you don't need to crank up the volume too much to get good sound out of the Q300s. If you do crank things up, then things just get better. Amp needs to supply enough juice of course.

Might be overkill for surrounds IMHO. Would suggest you consider the Q100s for that if you want to stick to Kef.

Hi thats a neat setup.
totally reminds me of mine:).
Got the same TV, Amp, Tatasky, Philips DVD, PS3 and almost 7 remotes.
Thank god i got myself a sony universal remote to handle 8 devices. Its awesome.

Anyway back to the point, how much did you pay for these BS?
Did you hear Jamo speakers while auditioning for your speakers.
What is on your wishlist to complete the speakers in your setup?

Iam still in a big dilemma on speakers. Have had the AVR for the past 1 month unused.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back