My MTM stand mount loudspeakers

Thanks, it was not long ago that contraptions like these had a place in my drawing room, but DIY evolved... :)
/QUOTE]

Thanks for Posting t.antony . There is hope for all of us, your ardent followers. We will get there "someday" hopefully!!!:licklips: - gopi

obsetup.jpg
Glad to see that you've the same TV that I have :D

Those speakers look quite skinny :eek:

hi Antony, have you tried curved cabinets? Is it possible to build them DIY?

I haven't tried, but if I do, it will be in fiberglass :)

Flexible plywood can be used to make curved sides. Goldyrathore did some enclosures with flexi ply, he could probably give more inputs about the use of that material.

Thanks for Posting t.antony . There is hope for all of us, your ardent followers. We will get there "someday" hopefully!!!:licklips: - gopi

Thanks for the generous comments gopib, if you find that picture useful, here is an earlier version - This one is a no-baffle OB.

nobaffleob.jpg

Last edited:
Flexible plywood can be used to make curved sides. Goldyrathore did some enclosures with flexi ply, he could probably give more inputs about the use of that material.

Yes, flexi ply is very good to make curved cabs. Here is a curved test cylindrical bass section.

The stuff is only 5mm thick and still very stiff. However for mids a more thicker stuff (or more layers ) may be needed, not for strength or rigidity but to stop the midrange leak. I found mids escaping the thin sheet that I used.

The reason flexy ply is not popular is probably due to its cost. Its atleast four times more expensive than MDF.

Regards,
Goldy

Attachments

• IMG_0765.jpg
    IMG_0765.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 334
The stuff is only 5mm thick and still very stiff. However for mids a more thicker stuff (or more layers ) may be needed, not for strength or rigidity but to stop the midrange leak. I found mids escaping the thin sheet that I used.

Goldy, very nice looking build.
Did you consider beefing up the cylinder with fiberglass over
the flexible ply - like what Anthony has done? Hope that will help
deaden it.

Goldy, very nice looking build.
Did you consider beefing up the cylinder with fiberglass over
the flexible ply - like what Anthony has done? Hope that will help
deaden it.

This was only a test box, the idea was to put together a cylindrical enclosure and see its suitability for bass and mids. If I ever make another enclosure, it would be a kerfed MDF enclosure that would be stiff/rigid yet not have the mid leakage issue.

I dont have access to fiberglass so that was not considered.

Regards,
Goldy

Hello t.antony,
These are excellent speakers you have made, hats off.
I was looking to diy some Bookshelf speakers and these exactly fit the bill, I request if you can share the details of these speakers.

Hello antony,
The link you gave is for m13kh.
i wanna build on M13NH . I already have these drivers. Had purchased them from varsha, just did not know they were so good.

Cabinet dimensions are mentioned elsewhere in this thread. However, I have not recorded the changes made to the crossover and the only way to get it is by removing the drivers and crossover from box - which I cannot do at the moment as I have attached the crossover to the back baffle with screws and silicone caulk.

Cabinet dimensions are mentioned elsewhere in this thread. However, I have not recorded the changes made to the crossover and the only way to get it is by removing the drivers and crossover from box - which I cannot do at the moment as I have attached the crossover to the back baffle with screws and silicone caulk.

hello Antony.
can you guide me in making speaker measurement rig.

Sir,

My failed DIY effort can be found here
I'd really like to copy a tried and tested design with locally available material in a budget, as I cant afford to take up a project with imported drivers because of high costs involved in logistics which take the build amount beyond my budget. Other major factor is my skill level or else have been contemplating building these speakers for close to a year.
Now, I've emailed Peerless India regarding the availability of these drivers listed below.
If they confirm stock of the same in that case would it be OK with you If I take up this project ? with your guidance and support, of course.
As it wouldn't be possible in any other way.

Regards

Drivers
Of all the drivers I had collected these years, I am planning to use two of my favorites - 5.25 paper composite midbass drivers and low Fs silk dome tweeters manufactured by Peerless India. That would make this project cost effective and 100% Indian as well :). These midbass drivers are very similar to the ones used by GR-Research M-130 which is also manufactured by Peerless India. Here is a quick comparison.

• The M-130s have been lauded for their midrange clarity that accounts to the curvilinear cone structure that allows smooth roll off into the higher frequencies and a paper composite cone which provides smoother breakup modes. These features make the crossover design easier. The Peerless India Standard line (SL) drives I am using for this project also has the same cone.
  • Both have polycarbonate frames. This does not transmit vibrations into the front baffle like a metal frame. The difference of GR- Research drivers is that the frame shape is suitable for surface mounting.
  • The GR research drivers seems to be having smoother high frequency response . But till 2.5Khz they are almost identical with each other.
  • The SL driver seems to have lower Fs than the GR research drivers.
  • The SL drivers have an impedance of 4ohms against 8ohms and 16 ohms versions of M-130. This means that these drivers need to be in series for an effective impedance of 8ohms. This results in an overall sensitivity of 88dB(ie: the sensitivity of a single driver) which should be sufficient for driving them with a medium power amplifier.

The Silk dome tweeters have an Fs of 880Hz and can be easily crossed around the intended crossover frequency around 2500Hz. So my expectation is that these two drivers are good candidates for building a cost effective system of high quality.

Driver pics

pmid.jpg

ptweetw.jpg

)

Last edited:
Sir,

My failed DIY effort can be found here
I'd really like to copy a tried and tested design with locally available material in a budget, as I cant afford to take up a project with imported drivers because of high costs involved in logistics which take the build amount beyond my budget. Other major factor is my skill level or else have been contemplating building these speakers for close to a year.
Now, I've emailed Peerless India regarding the availability of these drivers listed below.
If they confirm stock of the same in that case would it be OK with you If I take up this project ? with your guidance and support, of course.
As it wouldn't be possible in any other way.

Regards

I am unable to share all the details about this build due to reasons mentioned in post #115. So you may have to go with an active crossover similar to this one - 223s Stereo 2-Way/Mono 3-Way Crossover:: dbx? Professional Products. You will also need a low power stereo amplifier to drive the tweeters. Crossover frequency can go as low as 2Khz with a 24dB slope crossover.

Drivers required for this build are available with jeetubhai(varshaelectronics) in Mumbai. Contact him with these pictures.

Enclosure details (all measurements in inches and material used is 19mm MDF)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
External dimensions are H21" x W9" x D10.5"
Port is 1.75" Dia and 7" long

Here is the relative position to the center of first two components in the front baffle along the Y axis
Port - 2.5
Bottom midwoofer - 7.25
Place the second midwoofer such that distance between the outer edges of midwoofer frames is 3 inches and tweeter need to be placed at this location equidistant from both midwoofers. Use the pictures in this thread for reference.

Each box need to be stuffed uniformly with about 100 grams of Dacron.
There are no internal braces but inside of the box(all 6 sides) need to be lined with 4mm thick bitumen sheets.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back