My MTM stand mount loudspeakers

Hi
Did you buy the Peerless India drivers from Jeetubhai? i bought some drivers from him 3 years ago but since then have heard that he is now referring DIYers to a shop at Lamington rd for Peerless India drivers...
Great job on the enclosures...

cheers,
mymindinside

Forgot to ask earlier - did you embed magnets for the grills
before fiberglassing? Awaiting the pics of the finished product.

Hi
Did you buy the Peerless India drivers from Jeetubhai? i bought some drivers from him 3 years ago but since then have heard that he is now referring DIYers to a shop at Lamington rd for Peerless India drivers...
Great job on the enclosures...

cheers,
mymindinside

Yes, I got these from him. AFAIK Jeetubhai is the sole wholesaler for these drivers and he normally does not deal in small quantities. You can try Dev Electronics in Lamington road.

Forgot to ask earlier - did you embed magnets for the grills
before fiberglassing? Awaiting the pics of the finished product.

I could not do it before due to the rounded edges, as exact positioning of holes is difficult before the round profile is complete. Drilling holes even now for magnets is not an issue since the gaps will be covered with the same fiberglass putty. It has better bonding and will be stronger than applying any hot glue since there is already 3mm of putty over the front panel.

Update...

After two weekends of sanding, enclosures are beginning to take the final form :). The holes in the front baffle are for fixing grill magnets, enclosure on the right has the magnets already embedded and holes covered with putty, Some more sanding with 220 grit paper is needed before applying primer.

img5726i.jpg

img5731z.jpg

Lovely looking enclosures. With so many layers of fibreglass putty, they may weigh a ton and should be very rigid.

I think each might weigh close to 15kg. The walls are very rigid and dead sounding to a knock. The experimental sandwich construction(FiberPutty-FiberMat-MDF-FiberPutty) seems to have worked well.

I think each might weigh close to 15kg. The walls are very rigid and dead sounding to a knock. The experimental sandwich construction(FiberPutty-FiberMat-MDF-FiberPutty) seems to have worked well.

I have a better and more cost effective solution in mind. I will definitely meet you during my next trip to Bangalore. Will talk about it in person.

Made my day!
looks gorgeous already!

Can you share a little on how fiberglass coating (process) are done.
never seen untill now.
Thanks!

I have a better and more cost effective solution in mind. I will definitely meet you during my next trip to Bangalore. Will talk about it in person.

Looking forward to it. Even though fiberglass's acoustic properties are well suitable for this application, it requires a proper ventilated workplace to work with. Any alternative that is less expensive and workable from home will be a welcome change.

Can you share a little on how fiberglass coating (process) are done.
never seen untill now.
Thanks!

The material that gives strength and shape to the fiberglass is the resin. It's a thick liquid and we add a chemical( hardner) to it make it hard over a period of time. A catalyst is used to make this hardening process faster.

If the resin is hardened as it is, it's as brittle as a piece of glass so fiberglass mat and chalk power are mixed with resin to reinforce it similar to the way we do concrete slabs. Fiber mat is used in the place of iron rods and fiberglass putty in the place of concrete. Fiberglass putty is nothing but a mixture of resin and chalk power.

To apply a coat of fiberglass mat over a surface, place the mat over the surface and apply resin with a brush. The resin softens the fiberglass mat and it bends to accommodate the contours of the surface beneath. By adding more and more layers of mat and resin, the strength and rigidity will increase. Usually it takes a day to make the resin dry completely but this can be shortened by using more catalyst. Putty is used for giving the finish and shape the surface as needed. It's applied with the putty blade we get from paint shops.

These are the various layers I have used in my enclosures

Outer Surface - Ist coat - Mat, Second coat(s)- Putty
Inner surface - Putty (single coat)

Ref post #57 for pics.

:licklips:

More pics of the beauties & stands please Antony :)

Also update us on the materials(Paint/Clear Coat) used to achieve this finish,

PS: How bout pin striping the edges of the drivers with gold/silver colour??? I feel that will make these standout even more :clapping:

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back