My MTM stand mount loudspeakers

Very nice work on the speakers!
An idea to flaring the PVC is to heat the pipe slowly and
press it over a bottle. Worked fine for me. I also applied putty at
the joint of the port and the wood, and sanded till it was smooth.

excellent work Antony....how did you get that smooth rounded finish in the edges?? did you use quadrant hardwood beading?

cheers!!
KVN

Excellent work and great finish, the speakers looks cool even before it has not done fully.

hope, it will get an beautifull finish. Congrats man, you inspires many to do the DIY way.

:clapping::clapping::clapping:

excellent work Antony....how did you get that smooth rounded finish in the edges?? did you use quadrant hardwood beading?

cheers!!
KVN

It was rounded using a disc sander by the carpenter. I made a curve profile in acrylic sheet which he used as a reference.

Very nice work on the speakers!
An idea to flaring the PVC is to heat the pipe slowly and
press it over a bottle. Worked fine for me. I also applied putty at
the joint of the port and the wood, and sanded till it was smooth.

I was thinking about using a suitably sized steel tumbler, but bottle would be a better choice as flare profile will be good.

.....it's time to make use of that empty Absolut Vodka bottle :)

Here is the el-cheapo stand made from discarded MDF sheets and packing wood. Now I need to get some matching spikes for the bottom plate... anyone know where to get these locally?

mtmstand.jpg

Last edited:
el-cheapo items i like , 2 granite slabs with a black rubber will make it heavy and stable
This one is like feeding cat with biscuits ,else opt for pvc based designs with sand filling.

el-cheapo items i like , 2 granite slabs with a black rubber will make it heavy and stable
This one is like feeding cat with biscuits ,else opt for pvc based designs with sand filling.

:lol::D:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah::D:lol:

Feeding cat with biscuits? :lol:

AFAIK making the stands heavy is to reduce structural vibrations, to be effective, it has to be very heavy and dense like granite. I am trying to focus more on acoustic separation and coupling to achieve similar results. The objective is to reduce the ill effects due to self oscillation of the stand and idea is to use isolation and coupling effectively in the two contact surfaces(speaker to stand and stand to ground). Planning to use cross linked XLPE sheets for the former and spikes for the latter. The narrow elements of the stands will be made rigid by sandwiching with fiberglass as this will increase their natural resonant frequency. Might need some experiments before I can smile at myself.

I decided on this approach after some encouraging results with xlpe sheets and clay filling experiments at the hollow base of my bipole speaker. The results were not entirely in favor of the clay filled stand, though it fared marginally well. I chose this way due to the aesthetics factor.

oh i see , after biscuits meal is coming , i have learnt a thing or two , i was watching terminator part 1 .........
here i feel like serah connor is grooming john connor for future

Your enclosures look fabulous. However, standing on those thin stands it appears (IMHO) they are top heavy. Not sure how they would fare sonically.:)

Its not the thin legs, its the size of the flat base that worries me - perhaps it should be wider/broader?

--G

...Now I need to get some matching spikes for the bottom plate... anyone know where to get these locally?

I remember seeing a post here that Tools and Trades (Commercial Street) will make spikes for you on demand. You can perhaps call and check: 08025588077

@gobble
You are right, they are not stable with that small base, it became small since that's the best size I could get from the cut pieces :), However stability will not be an issue as the the spikes will be put like the below pic which will increase the bottom plate dimensions by about 8 inches.

spikesr.jpg

@captain
The top heavy nature is concern for me as well. Hoping to bring stability by using spikes in the above mentioned way.

I am a bit intrigued by the isolation and ground coupling concepts and hope these stands will help me understand a bit more in that direction. The stout stand in the below pic is filled with clay and weights about 27kg. It will provide a good platform for comparative testing, will post my findings.

standcomp.jpg

Update...some pictures of fiberglass coating. It was done to stiffen the enclosure walls. The combination of fiberglass mat and putty has now increased the wall thickness to about 23mm and done a good job in controlling the low frequency cabinet vibrations. It's sounding more "dead" now.

After 3 layers of fiberglass mat
mtmf1.jpg

After grinding, ready for the next stage
mtmf2.jpg

After first coat with putty... lot of sanding needed before the next coat. The putty layer will eventually be about 2 to 3mm thick.
mtmf3.jpg

Hi TAntony, You are Genius man............
eagerly waiting for final result :licklips: :licklips:

Great Job...:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks for the responses. All credits goes to my friend who got this done at his spare time. We lost lot of time looking for skilled fiberglass workers and finally had to do it ourselves. It's a rather messy job and many thanks to him that we are past the difficult phase of fiberglass work.

Lot more to be done before painting, hopefully he will get more spare time this week :D.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back