My MTM stand mount loudspeakers

:licklips:

More pics of the beauties & stands please Antony :)

Also update us on the materials(Paint/Clear Coat) used to achieve this finish,

PS: How bout pin striping the edges of the drivers with gold/silver colour??? I feel that will make these standout even more :clapping:

The finish attributes to lots of sanding, starting with 80grit and then 100, 180, 220, 320 and finishing off with 600grit emery paper. Over this there was a layer of surfacer (primer) sprayed and then some finishing putty as applicable. Then there was two layers of base-coat with DuPont automotive paint. No clearcoat applied yet, but contemplating on it ;).

The spray job was done at a car paint shop as I couldn't get time to finish it before the HiFi meet.

Pin-striping is on the agenda, nothing finalized yet.

More pics...

mtm5.jpg

mtm3.jpg

mtm6.jpg

^^Ahaha!! Finally the secret is out!!!:D So besides the emery paper and the sanders etc. etc., there is a secret sauce!!!:eek:hyeah:

Did some experimenting with room placement of the speaker, the below picture shows response at a location considered as most suitable for reasons other than acoustics :rolleyes:. This measurement was taken about 3 feet away from one speaker. Graph taken with 1/6 octave smoothing.

mtmroom.jpg

There is some bass suck-out, and a peak near 1k. While the bass could be compensated by my sub, a variable baffle step correction circuit appears like a good idea to tame the extra gain near 1khz. I am planning to make a variable BSC similar to this MJK article(pdf)

Last edited:
GR-Research M-130 drivers are known to have midrange characteristics as good as the scanspeaks. Since the drivers I use are close cousins to the M-130, may be they are also as good but I can't conclude before testing.

My wish came true as I got a chance to take comparative measurements of my MTM's against a scanspeak system last weekend; thanks to Venu for making that possible. His Acoustic Portrait Scanspeak towers gave me a good reference point for comparison. Rahul(gobble) also joined us & later I got to listen to Rahul's fostex fullrange monitors at his place :).

Venu has a good setup and an equally good collection of tracks to go with it. I liked the signature of his DIY DAC using TDA1514. Here is a picture of the test setup, those scanspeak MTM's are really huge!

venu.jpg

SPL comparison - brown is Venu's scanspeak towers & green is my MTM minimonitor. While the towers have more bass and higher output above 3kHz, it's interesting to see that they are virtually identical in the critical lower
midbass region (150Hz to 500Hz).

peerlessindiascanspeaks.jpg

Spectrogram comparison: The mini monitor show good directivity pattern except for the notch at 1khz.

Spectrogram of Scanspeak Towers
scanspeakmtmspectrogram.jpg

Spectrogram of my MTM mini monitors
peerlessindiamtmspectro.jpg

Conclusion: The results show good coherence in the mid range character vis-a-vis scanspeaks. I need to take care of the 1kHz "notch" in the response before anymore listening tests.

Thanks Antony, am interested to know what software/equipment you used to do the measurements. Few lines describing the process would help us well.

TIA

Thanks Antony, am interested to know what software/equipment you used to do the measurements. Few lines describing the process would help us well.

TIA

I used Room Eq Wizard for testing. You will need a good mic and preamp or a good SPL meter like this for taking measurements. I used Behringer ECM8000 measurement mic in conjunction with M-Audio mobile pre USB sound card. Wiring, calibration and measurement is straightforward and it's explained well in the help file.

Here is a good video tutorial - go to the Youtube URL to see other tutorials in the series Room EQ Wizard - Step 1 - Calibration - YouTube

Venu has a good setup and an equally good collection of tracks to go with it. I liked the signature of his DIY DAC using TDA1514. Here is a picture of the test setup, those scanspeak MTM's are really huge!

Thanks for coming with all your set up and it was very informative session. My DIY DAC is TDA1541A

Regards,
Venu

+1 ^^^ :thumbsup:

Hats off T Antony, you are really making these projects look very professional & very unlike amateur DIY, won't be surprised if I hear you going Pro in the near future. Did you manage the windings of the coils yourself too???:clapping:

Best Wishes

+1 ^^^ :thumbsup:

Hats off T Antony, you are really making these projects look very professional & very unlike amateur DIY, won't be surprised if I hear you going Pro in the near future. Did you manage the windings of the coils yourself too???:clapping:

Best Wishes

Thanks, it was not long ago that contraptions like these had a place in my drawing room, but DIY evolved... :)
obsetup.jpg

I wound the coils with this DIY winder - http://www.hifivision.com/diy/14433...udspeaker-philips-fullrange-3.html#post200344

Antony, I wished I could get these for my home theater. They fit perfectly to my requirements as highlighted here - http://www.hifivision.com/speakers/20330-5-x-7-x-system-wall-mountable-fronts-center.html

At one of my listening tests, I placed speakers closer to the back wall as much as the stand permits. I didn't listen critically but IMO the bass was still accurate with slight loss in gain. The depth of sound stage was also bit diminished, but they still sounded fine.

It would be interesting to see how these behave in a wall mount.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back