img1099ed.jpg

By bibin3210 at 2012-04-11

img1176xr.jpg

img1180nq.jpg

After a month of wood work and painting:
<........>

You may consider starting up a small scale industry of speaker manufacturing!

What is the total cost incurred on these speakers?
Their looks alone can beat any international brand speakers costing about 40k INR.
Importantly, how do they sound?

:clapping::clapping:

@KKSunil,

The Grill frame is made using 1" Wooden reaper. After joining the four corners a slight bevel is made throughout the outer edge of the frame using a block plane. The frame is then sanded and coated with Primer, then a coat of surfacer and finally a coat of NC Matt black. The Grill cloth is clued into the frame using Fevicol SR. Finally the grill locks are attached to the frame....Thats it.......:)

Last edited:
Wow... this is a great build :)

We have the same interests and profession. I been thinking about this from couple of months. I got stuck with the cross over design. Now i can get your help and build one.

Awsome build, congrads :)

Inductors should be mounted with enough space in between and at right angles to each other to minimise mutual coupling. Google to find the atricles on x-over mounting.

bibin phew your work would put a few manufacturers to shame man. Never seen a DIY so detailed, the outcome is complete drool stuff. Congrats dude.

@ rjtsyles

Thank you for the comment. But i am still not satisfied with the finish of my painting. Actually this was the first time i used a spray gun to paint. It was not that easy as i thought to get the mirror finish. May be after some time i will repaint it to Metallic Black, baffle as it is (Matte Black).

Bibin,

Awesome work my friend. I completely second rjstyles comments. :clapping:

All you have to do is give it a fancy name and go commercial . ;)

Super work and best of luck for your future DIY.

Inductors should be mounted with enough space in between and at right angles to each other to minimise mutual coupling. Google to find the atricles on x-over mounting.

Here's the link to inductor placement. Yours is the worst possible scenario.
Placement of coils in crossover networks

What is the size of your drivers. That tweeter can go a lot lower than 5000hz, why did you choose the xo pt at 5khz. Even 1k might be reduced further, check the sims and see if you can redo the xo points. Can you post your xo design.

Hi Doors,

Thank you for the valuable comment. I do agree with your instructions on placing the inductors and caps. Me too have gone through such documents before implementing this and on workbench it doesn't gave my much audible difference. But on LCR it shows some negligible difference in the valve, so just ignored it.

And my actual plan is to implement an Active X-over (electronic) and i am in the process of that. I have already provided provisions for that in the enclosure. On the back side of the enclosure there are three pairs of binding posts for Low, Mid and High.

From DAC to electronic X-over, from there Mid and High goes to Class-A amp and low goes to a Class-AB amp(i already have couple of TIP based board, which i am planning to use for this). Don't know how it is going to workout:p ....

I will post more updates after after the Class-A boards are done. Again all are DIY including the Amplifier Enclosure :)

Need some good looking VU meters for the Amp? Once that is available will start the Enclosure for Amp.

Bye the way the woofers are 8".

Thanks,
Bibin

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back