My new "Live" Ambilight for TV

Amarendra

Hi all,

I am happy to post my new Ambilight project which changes the lighting as per the picture displayed on the TV screen. This system is based on Raspberry Pi 2 with xbmc and boblight along with an Arduino Uno R3. The LEDs used are programmable WS2812B. It took a lot of sleepless nights to get all the systems talking to each other along with burnt fingers from soldering (I am a CA) :lol:

As of now the system responds to inputs from the xbmc system such as movie files/ youtube etc but shortly I am planning to build a system around inputs from all video sources such as blu ray players/ gaming consoles. Will keep you posted.

Last edited:
Dude it's super cool,congrats for your successful project,btw how much did your project hurt you money wise???[emoji1]

It's a beauty worth more than 7k,btw do any tv companies sell ambilight TVs,these would look super cool while gaming[emoji41]

wow. super. I'm sure you now forget your burnt fingers after the end result. the result is priceless:clapping: .Please elaborate more on the project.

While that's a really cool project and it looks so good.

Philips at one time did have Ambilight lights, not too sure about TVs though.

It does state that they are available on their website, but not too sure about the quality in this day of OLED TVs.

Thank you all for viewing and sharing your comments. I am building another system which will be less complicated than this one and easier to replicate. The plus side will be that it will grab video from any video source not just the xbmc.
Cheers!

BTW Philips has upped the game with a new tv that has ambilight based on projectors behind the screen which will extend the TV image behind the TV screen. However the price is not known and will be an overkill. Also if the back wall has to be used for the image and not just the light, then we would be better off with a projector instead of a TV :)

Great !

I've been thinking of doing this project since 3-4 months now.

Why would you need an aurdino? The rpi2 itself is sufficient to handle it.

Thank you all for viewing and sharing your comments. I am building another system which will be less complicated than this one and easier to replicate. The plus side will be that it will grab video from any video source not just the xbmc.
Cheers!

Try to make tv video out as input source for this

Vbhoj74, to answer your query, the RPI cannot handle the data and clock duties required. The led strip which I have used has just 1 pin for data and clock. This is also a supposed limitation of Linux.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back