My new Philips PFL5609 LCDtv

so my guess is a external DVR may be connected to the STB via USB.
i have't tried the s/pdif since i don't have a av reciever or a amp with digital input.

My settop box has RS232 for service & same here with USB.Few LCDs too have USB,but for service purpose.
Have you checked manual & abt SPDF?

My settop box has RS232 for service & same here with USB.Few LCDs too have USB,but for service purpose.
Have you checked manual & abt SPDF?

i didn't get a manual,since initialy i got the hyundai STB1 which was replaced by UEC STB2.even people who got the STB2 as new got the same manual as posted in BIG tv website,which is a common manual for both versions of STB,but u can see the in the manual in the advanced parameters in settings an option called "HD audio management",i don't get this option in my STB.
about USB well u can never no,whats is it for,since we do know that some STBs are capable of adding a DVR.

Just checked Big STB,with component out,no spdf & power adaptor.
Price will increase from tomorrow by Rs.200 & even Tatasky will be available for Rs.300 more for new STB(not+)

Updates:-

Today I check LCD with Desktop as I got my GC from friend after long gap.
I connected LCD with MX HDMI 1.3b cable to DVI port of my 7300LE.

Initially I cld not get display as there was not setting for DVI out.
I configed HDTV seup,but only for Component out.I googled & tried to get solution.Secondly my DVI is DVI-I type with duallink(newer GC with DVI-D)I got connecter as DVI-D to HDMI & was worried with setup.:sad:
I found links saying DVI-D can be used with DVI-I.Still no display.So I removed my connection of PC monitor while DVI connected to HDMI & turned on PC.Then it worked & I got Display from DVI out to LCDTV.:yahoo:

Now still another task.Manual says 5609 supports only 720p eventhough LCD is full HD.I tried step by step & cld run on full HD resolution.:clapping:

Coming to rev,full HD & HD ready ripps were awesome.I didnt expect such wonderful picture.Wide colours(like plasma)Fluid ,lifelike picture.
I cld not get similar PQ on sam CRT monitor.

I definitely recommend 5609 for spectacular performance.no prob with HTPC

Setup-

Display -Philips 32PFL5609
GC - Big 7300LE
SC -Xonar D2X
HT -Onk + Tannoy F1 (see signature below)
HDMI cb- MX 3mtr 1.3b for Rs.450 (mrp900)
DVI-D to HDMI connector Rs.225
Source -Borrowed from Hemant Waghe & Vinay (Thanks to both of you)
Sp.thanks to- adder,Cranky who helped me to conform my LCDtv.

Will add BD-rom lator & may save on BDP & media player.

(I cannot ans query if any as travelling out of town tomorrow & will be back on Thursday)

Last edited:
Now I m back & will solve the queries abt HTPC/DVI-HDMI.
I watched HDclips on HTPC>LCD & just loved them.

Now I m back & will solve the queries abt HTPC/DVI-HDMI.
I watched HDclips on HTPC>LCD & just loved them.

I too am currently watching movies via DVI from my PC.

Few questions.

1) What player are you using? IMO, Media player classic Home Cinema is best of the lot for SD. Any better player available for HD?

2) Are you planning to get dedicated media player like WD TV in the future? Will there be an marked improvement in picture?

3) Which is better? DVI or HDMI?

4) How are you controlling your PC? Are you running around the room whenever you need to control volume, fast forward etc? Iam thinking of buying a PC remote I found on ebay soon. Is there a better way?

Few questions.

1.MPHC is better than vlc,but vlc as common opt.

2.WD may not come close to dedicated HTPC.I may stick to HTPC as I have 7300 & D2X.Dedicated things work better than one chip solution.

3.DVI & HDMI are same for vid.HDMI for AV.Infact DVI can be better tham HDMI as DVI can work of Dual link & output resolution higher than full HD.

4.I an not controlling from remote,but you can even think of wireless remote for better opts.Wireless or 700- (mrp900) & keybrd free(10mtre range).

spiro bro...i really wish i had ur patience and diligence...

congrats on ur new toy...

PS. maybe i shud outsource you my equipment research ;)

4.I an not controlling from remote,but you can even think of wireless remote for better opts.Wireless or 700- (mrp900) & keybrd free(10mtre range).

Thanks a lot. Looks like my current setup is the best.

Can you send the link of the wireless remote with 10m range you are talking about? Where can I get one?

Congrats spirovious on your new TV ( toy ) !!!!. I too own a philips LCD ...but 42 inch LCD and I too agree the PQ is just awesome. Its just that black levels may not be as great as plasma. But when it comes to PQ in colors I felt its better than other brands. Its so lively and rich.But somehow in this forum I felt philips LCD is not discussed so much.

Last edited:
Congrats spirovious on your new TV ( toy ) !!!!. I too own a philips LCD ...but 42 inch LCD and I too agree the PQ is just awesome. Its just that black levels may not be as great as plasma. But when it comes to PQ in colors I felt its better than other brands. Its so lively and rich.But somehow in this forum I felt philips LCD is not discussed so much.

zoey, which philips model do you have? I auditioned a 9703 and loved it, but only display pieces were available so didn't go for it.

Thanks a lot. Looks like my current setup is the best.

Can you send the link of the wireless remote with 10m range you are talking about? Where can I get one?

I am sorry Blasto as I typed wrongly.Its wireless mouce & not remote.
Well I have to check on i-ball site as I checked it with dealor in Thane while I got WD500 HDD last wk.

I am sorry Blasto as I typed wrongly.Its wireless mouce & not remote.
Well I have to check on i-ball site as I checked it with dealor in Thane while I got WD500 HDD last wk.

10m range wireless mouse for 900/- looks like a deal.
Will check out i-ball site myself too..

But somehow, after looking at/auditioning some of the headphones from i-ball that my friends have I do not get any confidence of the brand. They are junk at best. :mad:
Don't know about the mouse though. :rolleyes:

10m range wireless mouse for 900/- looks like a deal.
Will check out i-ball site myself too..

Don't know about the mouse though. :rolleyes:

Dont compare HP with mouce as i-ball are making good Keybrd/mouce.
10mtr was told by shopkeeper & need to confirm(it can be 10ft9poor knowledge of them)Still for said price 3mtre is OK.

similar products-

http://iball.co.in/Product.aspx?c=6

check cordless optical mouce with 20ft range(6mtr) for 999(mrp) 3yr warrenty.You can get discount to 750max.

Last edited:
Update-

Today I cld config both Display (Samy CRT monitor & Phil LCDTV)together.
ie.Now no need for me to remove any monitors connection to get output from another.My GC driver has recorded my Phil mon in memory & now I get 3 opt in CP-
1.Ana Display(samy CRT) + TV (S-vid out)
2.Philp + TV
3.Ana + Phil

(all opt can change setting as 1primary & other as secondary ,so total 6 options.)

Obviously I selected 3r Opt with Samy-CRT as primary & Phil as secondary.
nvidia GPU is doing very good upscaling too outputting 1080p.DVDs too are looking wonderfull with no jaggies.Edges are sharp & motion smooth.its working perfectly.

Now its a complete HTPC setup.:yahoo:

Last edited:
Update-

Today I tried few original DVDs played from HTPC-

Armageddon, Fantastic4, Dostana, Gajani, Sing is King

To my surprise,7300 was doing much better upscaling than DVDp /BDp which I saw while searching for my TV.I have seen SONY BDP + Sony LCD playing DVDs.I can certainly say 7300 is doing far far better than DVDP/BDP upscaling as no artifacts visible, PQ looks 90% closer to BDrip with good colours,sharpness(compared with I m d legend mkv)as it its originally 1080p.
Only few jaggies as 5609 has 5ms response time with 60 Hz freq.
This is even present with 1080p clips.(Its LCD & not Plasma :))

I m trying to get BD-rom & BD disc from US,lets see.I dropped down idea of getting Pany BD-80.

I can say ,those who want all in one solution, go for proper HTPC which will have a lot optionc.

how did u solve the dvi to hdmi prob?? step by step solution spiro.. plss

thanks

Well I did nothing,but proper calibration.Actually manual says,TV cant handle 1080p.I just followed manual instructions-

1.I selected TV(HDMI) resolution as unscaled.

2.Kept TV on & then started HTPC with GC 7300(can upscale to 1080p OR even more resolution)but kept initially lower resolution.

3.Then I checked nvidia CP & to my surprice GC recognised my LCDtv with name showing Philips dysplay(in CP).So one has to on TV 1st & then start PC.
I got 2 opt Samsung monitor(primary)+ Philips(secondary) & other the opposite.I chose Philips as secondary with Dual view setting.

4.Now I cld see desktop on philips too.Then increased resolution to 720p(tv was capable)Then selected 1080p & Philips was still showing it.So manual is wrong OR the firmware is better.

5.So thats it.Now I can play Full HD from PC.I did not upgrade my GC driver,but used same which came with CD.

So I did nothind,but tried every possible option & it worked.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back