My new Philips PFL5609 LCDtv

Panasonic is known for plsmas and not so much for the LCDs.

Thats not totally true.3 yr back Panasonic were on top in LCD & even better than Sony,award winners too(LX700).Dont know what happened thereafter.

Thats not totally true.3 yr back Panasonic were on top in LCD & even better than Sony,award winners too(LX700).Dont know what happened thereafter.

panasonic were never on top in lcds,only a few models of theirs were good mainly in the some 32" models and 37" category,reason being at that time companies like samsung and sony had to use crappy panels of older generation tech from CMO or AUO mainly in the 37" segment.
besides they don't even sell lcd tvs larger then 42" which constitute a wide majority of the market share,only this year will panasonic start producing 42" size panels from IPS alpha.
their market share in lcds is just a small fraction compared to the big 3 samsung /sony and LG.

hi, has anyone upgraded the firmware(TCM32A 0.62) of Philips PFL5609 LCDtv. Is it possible to goto earlier firmware after upgrade?

Many times ,if you have backup,then earlier FW can be reloaded.
Not sure abt 5609.
I have upgraded my firmware( as available on website) from the factory default. There was no option to backup the existing firmware. How can i obtain the earlier firmware as it is not available on the philips website.

I have upgraded my firmware( as available on website) from the factory default. There was no option to backup the existing firmware. How can i obtain the earlier firmware as it is not available on the philips website.

Well you may get after googling perhaps.
What difference did you find after upgrade?any new option/setting available after that?
Pls.reply & steps too.

Well you may get after googling perhaps.
What difference did you find after upgrade?any new option/setting available after that?
Pls.reply & steps too.
I googled but couldn't find the old FB.
The channel preview has been removed from the channel grid.
The display size for the volume and mute icons has been changed to small display size. they have moved from centre of screen to the left top corner.The favourite list has been changed from 4 groups to 1 group. The <SCENEA> key on the remote control can now be use to set your personalize wallpaper.

steps for upgrade are given in the manual and on the website.

I googled but couldn't find the old FB.
Is it downgrade FW,Is it helpful?

get here the earlier,but its chinease,Dont know if it has language support(english)

32PFL5409/93 Philips LCD TV 32PFL5409 32" HD Ready with Pixel Plus HD - Philips Support

Otherwise contact Philips centre to get original one.

notes-http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpcontent.pl?scy=CN&slg=ZHS&mid=Link_Software&sct=LCD_TV_SU&cat=TV_CA&session=20091126090142_66.249.65.3&grp=SOUND_AND_VISION_GR&ctn=42PFL5609/93&dct=FUS&did=ENG&reldct=FUR&file=/files/4/42pfl5609_93/42pfl5609_93_fur_eng.pdf

Hey spirovious,

Great buy :) I'm also looking to get a Philips 5609/5409.Can you please tell if it plays .avi movies from a USB stick? Does it support subtitles ( I mean if the pen drive contains a .avi movie and a .srt subtitle with the same name,does it pick the subtitles?)

Thanks

Hey spirovious,

Great buy :) I'm also looking to get a Philips 5609/5409.Can you please tell if it plays .avi movies from a USB stick? Does it support subtitles ( I mean if the pen drive contains a .avi movie and a .srt subtitle with the same name,does it pick the subtitles?)

Thanks

Hey HH, thats the best 32inch TV (5609) available in India today, as per "What Hi Fi" mag, and I've bought it last week, and I love it.:yahoo:

Yes you can play .avi movies, and it also support subtitles. I have seen couple of them (.avi with subtitles) through my USB, in the last week, and it looks superb (for a 700MB ripped file). Cant wait to see a full DVD or blu ray quality movie on my TV, its picture quality will be even better! :)

Posting probably Final & Best SD/AV1 settings-

Bright - 66
Contrast - 50
Colour - 38
Sharps - 4
Backlight -Best picture
Dyn contrst -Off
Pixel plus -Off
colour temp - Normal
Noice redn - Off

This setting is giving me probably best overall PQ from Dishtv with Balanced Black level & natural colours.

Last edited:
So finally I can say-
settings in earlier post are the Best for DTH(dishtv with composite) watching.

Just saw a mov(700mb) with subtitles,but cldnt turn it off.

So finally I can say-
settings in earlier post are the Best for DTH(dishtv with composite) watching.

Just saw a mov(700mb) with subtitles,but cldnt turn it off.

Hi Spiro,

I've problems with the subtitles. For some movies it works and for some it doesnt. I've 3 movies and their subtitles in three different folders in my pen drive, and when I plug it in to the TV, it doesnt show them folder wise, it shows them file wise, that music files, video files, etc.

Is that the way you have your movie files in your pen drive? And do the subtitles work for all the movies for which you've sibtitles in pen drive?

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back