My review of the XGIMI H1

Did some basic tweaking.. Sharing some pics..

Note : This is DIY Acoustic Transparent screen (matte ivory spandex stretched over matte black spandex).. Low Gain screen < 1.0 (0.7)..

3IfTUOc.jpg

Images captured thru Nikon Coolpix S8200 (Point & shoot)..

Some images are more brighter in the screen than in pictures..

1ynfSwG.jpg

dKZpntP.jpg

ktF8Ae6.jpg

7AALbgD.jpg

lHytQFv.jpg

bxu2DPF.jpg

fpet6OO.jpg

IX4R28l.jpg

o0IYPad.jpg

Last edited:
Watching in person in great..So far been able to do only basic tweaking.. Progressively will tweak it to get the best out of it & my DIY screen..

It looks like your using a htpc input. You can tweak gamma using Nvidia control panel in combination with the brightness calibration video tweak the gamma till the brightness change in each flashing bar is distinctly visible and reference black doesn't flash

great elango,

The picture looks stunning,,great diy effort...wish to follow the same will keep in touch..

Reason for using matte ivory spandex,,instead of pure white which is recommended for Home theatre when
your room is pitch dark.. i will be using pure white (spandex) since i have exclusive HT room which will be pitch dark.

Even grey screen is recommended if you have your room with few lights.

Thanks
rajesh.

It looks like your using a htpc input. You can tweak gamma using Nvidia control panel in combination with the brightness calibration video tweak the gamma till the brightness change in each flashing bar is distinctly visible and reference black doesn't flash

Yes.. HTPC.. Ok, Great.. Never used the Nvidia control panel.. Will try tweaking them..

elango,

Which media player are you using in htpc., are you using a external graphic card...how do you connect to your avr,,i hope HDMI..

Are you getting Loseless Audio (DTS HD MASTER/DOLBY TRUE HD) to your speakers.???

rajesh.

great elango,

The picture looks stunning,,great diy effort...wish to follow the same will keep in touch..

Thx Rajesh.. Sure..If you have issues sourcing screen material locally, ping me..

Reason for using matte ivory spandex,,instead of pure white which is recommended for Home theatre when
your room is pitch dark.. i will be using pure white (spandex) since i have exclusive HT room which will be pitch dark.

Even grey screen is recommended if you have your room with few lights.

Thanks
rajesh.

For the first time, when i did the screen, i used a single layer of matte white spandex only and stretched it to its limits (which was completely wrong).. 5 ~ 10% strech was recommended.. But unaware of it, i overstretched the spandex..Due to which too much light loss behind screen..

Then FM Manoj.p, suggested to use a black backing material behind the white spandex layer to prevent the light loss.. So when i re-did the screen 2nd time, using back black layer, i tried using ivory matt top layer just to see if it improves the colour after this video -

Though i couldn't judge, i felt ivory matt was good.. So left it like that..

Anyways, now after getting the Xgimi H1, the projected image width has increased by 6 inches.. Am also trying to source grey spandex..

I will test it with white,ivory, grey spadenx stretched over black for comparison in sometime and then finally redo one final screen..

Came across something when looking for Nvidia settings - https://pcmonitors.info/articles/correcting-hdmi-colour-on-nvidia-and-amd-gpus/ More advanced settings for video i believe..

elango,

Which media player are you using in htpc.,

Kodi

are you using a external graphic card...

Yes.. Zotac Nvidia GT740 - https://www.zotac.com/us/product/graphics_card/gt-740-2gb

how do you connect to your avr,,i hope HDMI..

Yes..HDMI

Are you getting Loseless Audio (DTS HD MASTER/DOLBY TRUE HD) to your speakers.???

Yes.. Atmos, Dts X and HD audio streams.. All of my movies are BR Rips.. So i have set it to bit-stream in PC and let the AVR to decode..

In Kodi audio settings, i use "WASAPI-Denon AVR" and enabled passthrough for all DTS/Dolby & HD audio stream..

Thx Rajesh.. Sure..If you have issues sourcing screen material locally, ping me..

For sure will pm you when i am doing the screen..

5 ~ 10% strech was recommended.. But unaware of it, i overstretched the spandex..Due to which too much light loss behind screen..
Now after putting black backing material behind the white/ivory spandex layer,how much of fabric streching is recommended???

diy screen which may be useful to you as per below link

http://www.carlofet.com/projector-screen-material.html

I will test it with white,ivory, grey spadenx stretched over black for comparison in sometime and then finally redo one final screen..

Thats a great way to test screens of different shades...do it and let me know the result,also kindly check when room is dark
which screen colour performs well...??/

Which media player are you using in htpc., are you using a external graphic card...how do you connect to your avr,,i hope HDMI..
and Are you getting Loseless Audio (DTS HD MASTER/DOLBY TRUE HD) to your speakers.???

thanks
rajesh

Now after putting black backing material behind the white/ivory spandex layer,how much of fabric streching is recommended???

I stretched both the layers very gently ( 5 ~ 10%) and there is no light loss behind screen now..

Thats a great way to test screens of different shades...do it and let me know the result,also kindly check when room is dark
which screen colour performs well...??/

Sure.. Will share with pictures on that thread..

Well when it come to output, the XGIMI can handle only 8bit colour and limited RGB range . So keep those settings as at that otherwise it will majorly mess up your blacks.

Ok.. Will only check for Gamma level with Nvidia settings as you suggested earlier..

@elango, Wow... you caught my attention. Stunning picture quality and great projector. Tempting, but I am staying low for a while until UST FHD becomes mainstream and affordable. My room shape is such that I will only get a projector throw distance of less than 10feet which will not help me to get a 100 inch image. Will wait for xiaomi mi laser or any other UST PJ to be affordable, until I buy the replacement PJ. Maybe sometime around mid 2018...
Meanwhile, I bought a 58 inch LED from Llyod as an interim arrangement for my HT.

@elango, Wow... you caught my attention. Stunning picture quality and great projector. Tempting, but I am staying low for a while until UST FHD becomes mainstream and affordable.

Will wait for xiaomi mi laser or any other UST PJ to be affordable, until I buy the replacement PJ. Maybe sometime around mid 2018...

Cool.. I think you like the Xiaomi Laser UST FHD PJ..

My room shape is such that I will only get a projector throw distance of less than 10feet which will not help me to get a 100 inch image.

I think there was one model in LG with UST FHD model.. But that is LED..

Meanwhile, I bought a 58 inch LED from Llyod as an interim arrangement for my HT.

Congrats..

Cool.. I think you like the Xiaomi Laser UST FHD PJ..
Yes, but it will cost me 1.5L to get in imported :( Dont want to spend that much on a PJ

I think there was one model in LG with UST FHD model.. But that is LED..

Yes. Actually there are three FHD models from LG which I was following for some time. Again, it will also cost 1.3L +. Better to turn a blind eye towards it , until either a 4K or a UST comes at an affordable price point.

By the way, congrats on xgimi. Expecting a detailed review from your end, once it is fully setup

Yes, but it will cost me 1.5L to get in imported :( Dont want to spend that much on a PJ

Yes. Actually there are three FHD models from LG which I was following for some time. Again, it will also cost 1.3L +. Better to turn a blind eye towards it , until either a 4K or a UST comes at an affordable price point.

Understand..Keep an eye on Xgimi H1s international version, with a slightly better throw ratio.. You can get 100 ~ 120 inch diagonal screen in lexx than 10 feet distance..

By the way, congrats on xgimi. Expecting a detailed review from your end, once it is fully setup

Thank You.. Sure.. Will share..

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back