My review of the XGIMI H1

Hi Elangoas, I was away from the forum for a long time. Seems you have made so many changes to your overall system. Congrats on the DIY screen and XGIMI projector. Keep rocking.. :)

Ok. Didn´t see any photos of it.That is why asked.Any photos of the same? At what height it is fixed?

Here are some.. Clicked thru mobile.. Sorry for the low light pictures..

The PJ is mounted on the rear wall, lens at 57 inches off the floor.... viewing position is below PJ..
IMG_20171216_192326.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20171216_192137.jpg
    IMG_20171216_192137.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
hi elangoas,

Any updates on 3 colour screen test i.e (white,ivory, grey spadenx)???? have you got the grey material???

rajesh

Hi Rajesh,

Nope.. Couldn't get the grey spandex :(..

Redid my screen this time with white over black spandex to accomodate the extra width offered by Xgimi H1..

Now the screen is approx 100 inch diagonal in 16:9 aspect ratio..

Many thanks to FM @sud98 & a local FM, was also able to calibrate the display for the new screen..

Will share pics soon..

hi elangoas,

How is the picture looking now with white screen compared to your earlier ivory screen/

For white screen you must have a dark room to enjoy its maximum display,white screen is a
standard colour used by many HT and even in commercial theatres where you can make the
room pitch dark.

If you cannot control the light then grey is the way to go.

Post some latest pics.

Thanks
rajesh.

hi elangoas,

How is the picture looking now with white screen compared to your earlier ivory screen/

For white screen you must have a dark room to enjoy its maximum display,white screen is a
standard colour used by many HT and even in commercial theatres where you can make the
room pitch dark.

If you cannot control the light then grey is the way to go.

Post some latest pics.

Thanks
rajesh.

Hi Rajesh,

Not much of difference between ivory spandex (or) white screen with Xgimi H1.. The white screen itself is good enough for my living room..

There is no direct ambient light/sunlight hitting the screen..I have tried to cutdown as much as possible..

Even with 2 x 8 W LED bulbs in the room during the night, the screen is plenty bright and the images doesn't get washed out..

Post some latest pics.

Here are some pics after re-working on the screen..

These images were clicked around noon time.. The living room isn't completely dark, but not much direct light hitting the screen..

I used win 7 wall paper to capture images, as i couldn't tweak the camera better..

WZhm1er.jpg

SHOxnuI.jpg

6yVGrbw.jpg

c3vP9tA.jpg

kuleqet.jpg

xD9fh1S.jpg

FEzZtK1.jpg

ySnF7Mi.jpg

pyB4v9h.jpg

The pics looks stunning,good contrast,rich colour....good job,stick to white screen only..

what thickness is the black borders is it tape??. It shld be min 2inch to 3 inch thickness to get a immersive depth while viewing. ..

How do feel the picture quality of xgimi h1 compare to branded projectors like epson,benq,optomo etc.

How is your center channel sounding now with/without screen.any change in sound being a transperent screen..

The pics looks stunning,good contrast,rich colour....good job,stick to white screen only..

Thank You..

what thickness is the black borders is it tape??. It shld be min 2inch to 3 inch thickness to get a immersive depth while viewing. ..

Those are matte brown painted wooden strips nailed to the screen.. Wooden strips are 20mm wide & abt 5mm deep all along the screen..

IMO, 2 - 3 inch thick might give the impression of very thick borders.. at-best 1.5 inch wide borders should be fine for say 120 inch screen..

How do feel the picture quality of xgimi h1 compare to branded projectors like epson,benq,optomo etc.

I had demoed the projectors when i wasn't aware of the brands and features, that too on vinyl screens..

XGIMI H1 is an excellent projector, for the very bright image & picture quality on a fabric..It should easily stand up to some of the best mainstream projectors in that budget..

I think, image on Fabric looks best..

How is your center channel sounding now with/without screen.any change in sound being a transperent screen..

Before doing the AT screen, i used Vinyl screen, where i had the center channel 15 ~ 18 inches of the floor.. Almost 16 inches below ear level..

After moving to AT screen, i had identical speaker for left, center & right..placed the center (tweeter) at ear height.. Center channel behind the AT screen, is by far the best experience..The whole dialogue seems to come from full of the screen now rather than below the screen earlier..

Think there must be atleast 2 dB loss of sound since the sound has to over come two fabric layers.. But that should be adjusted in calibration..

Good ones Elango... I was so tempted to order one oneline, as my friend is travelling back from US this month. Finally decided not to, and will wait for atleast 6 more months before I take a plunge. Want either a UST PJ or a 4K to become affordable before I invest more... ;-)
Anyway Elango, each time I go through this page, temptation goes up... Good selection sir...

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back