MyDAC is here!

wishihadtubes

After spending the past few months ripping my hundreds of CDs and getting hold of hi-res audio files, fine tuning my computer and trying out both Foobar & JRiver, I can now move to the next level of computer audio as I have laid my hands on a Micromega MyDAC (bought from a FM).
Hooked up the DAC to the computer this morning and downloaded the drivers to play 24/192 files, and then spent some time listening to a few familiar tracks on headphone. I seem to be hearing more and the audio is smoother (just an initial assumption).
Given my day job as a journo, will have to wait till tonight to listen on the speakers and post more thoughts.
And then comes the next step: putting together a PC only for music playback and watching the occasional DVD/Blu-ray.

putting together a PC only for music playback

There is no need to do this, unless you want to have a media pc on the hifi rack, or similar. Or, of course ...you want to :)

Congratulations on the MyDAC.

Well yes, I do want the computer gear playing the music on the rack, right alongside my turntable. Best of both worlds. Also want to give a break to my laptop, which was brought for writing :)
Besides the music PC and plans to build a headphone amp are ways to get into DIY.

Congrats mate.

Waiting for more of your thoughts on how it sounds.

PS - I do agree with Thad about there being no need for a separate PC for music or movies. I have 3 machines and use the regular PC (that I work and browse on) for music too. I have one set aside specifically for HTPC and another a work in progress for music... but to my ears neither has any improvement over the other. If anything the equalizer has the most impact and when used correctly can make even all media players sound alike.

Well, downloaded the Windows drivers from MyDAC website to allow 24/192 playback and hooked up the laptop to the music system for some listening on speakers.
What follows are some initial thoughts.
The current set-up is HP ProBook 4530s laptop with foobar and JRiver (playing only FLAC rips of CDs and hi-res files) > MyDAC USB input (WASAPI event) > Denon PMA 717 amplifier > Sony SS MF650H four-way floorstanders.
Based on just a few hours of listening so far, the sound over the speakers mirrors what I heard on the headphones. I'm hearing more and lots of good stuff.
The sound is smoother, the bass has more slam and there is more air around the instruments. Things have opened up and there is less constriction, the sound from CD rips is less fatiguing.
But it's when I play hi-res files - 24/88.2, 24/96, 24/176.4, 24/192 - that things get really interesting. Everything good heard with the CD rips becomes even better.
I usually love turning up the volume when I listen to Daft Punk's "Random Access Memories" in 24/88.2 but this morning I had to dial things down :)
Several reviewers have complained about the bass with MyDAC but I'm plenty happy!
It isn't just the bass though. The treble is much smoother and has less of that digital glare.
More to follow later after some more listening over the weekend.

Congrats and enjoy your music. MyDac is a wonderful performer when it comes to high resolution music. You will see much more dynamics when the unit burns in around 60 hrs.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back