Nakamichi cassette Deck 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmascreen

After a very long period of lookout I have finally have a Nakamichi Cassette Deck 2 in very good/Mint condition. Thanks to our form member Rahul (Nakamichi) for making this happen and also patiencely answers my entire relevant/irrelevant question for a month or two.

Also I would also like to thank fm reubensm for is valuable time and guidance for nakamichi route.

I have started using it with generic Tips/Venus/Sony cassettes of Raaz/Zubeaida/Kabhi ha Kabhi na etc. But I didnt found any different in sound quality with my Sony TC-S1. Then I took out a Tharangani cassette (Festival Songs) and listen to the song en hridaya poothalam and Golden Hits of Abba an MIL/Polydor cassette and all of the sudden the magic had begin.
The instruments and channel separation was super.

Also I did a recording to a metal type and that was amazing.

Still early days will do some serious listening and update.

I have used 2 tape decks till now for sufficient duration. The Sony TCFX44 deck eas excellent in detailing and sound yransperancy. The mechanism was a bit flimsy though.
The current Naks BX-100 is good but I liked the sony sound stage. The mechanism of Naks is awesome and sturdy. I will give my full marks to Naks for their overall performance.

I tried for some recording, however the low frequency seems to be very dominant on the tapes. I am using Laptop+FooBar+WASPI. Any equalizer plugin will do or it will make worst?

The naks also had dominant lows until i adjust the head azimuth. The procedure suggested in naks service manual is not effective. I used Lisajous patterns to adjust the azimuth which preserves thevphsse lineriaty more accurately. Now the outputs are more neutral sounding.

The naks also had dominant lows until i adjust the head azimuth. The procedure suggested in naks service manual is not effective. I used Lisajous patterns to adjust the azimuth which preserves thevphsse lineriaty more accurately. Now the outputs are more neutral sounding.

I think I have to try this out, as most of the cassettes plays only some distorted lows and cranky mids and no high at all. But some cassettes plays very good.. So is there a standard setting which can be set for majority of cassettes?

Tharangini Festival songs was a very well recorded cassette with good stereo separation. I think it came out in 1984 or so. I lost the cassette but have a CD now.

cheers,
Reji

Tharangini Festival songs was a very well recorded cassette with good stereo separation. I think it came out in 1984 or so. I lost the cassette but have a CD now.

cheers,
Reji

Very true and the Nak's bring them out beautifully. I think most of the Tharangini recording was very good...

Congratulations ! Have a great time with the deck ! Where did you get it by the way ?

Don't worry. It can fix. I have a plan to Pune probably in next week. If you wish, I will do a check and atleast find out the root cause.
Sure, keep me posted

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Thanks Deck_Help, Reuban, for the advice.

Its indeed my bad luck continuing with Tape's. After paying an insane price with assured goodies and extra belts none arrived till date. Today I have opened the deck and found the belt somewhat loose and some noise coming out from capstan motor so my doubt is either one is faulty. I am trying my level best to get a belt, luck didn't favoured yet.

Also to my surprise I found the PCB is wrapped upwards. Is it by design or due to age?

So to conclude this purchase, I just find it as DENTED AND PAINTED DECK from outside and scraps inside, which was made working temporarily and sold and this chap seems to be another scrap seller.

I am very sorry to hear this...Sellers like these should be named and shamed for what they do..I too have heard /read such horror stories but thankfully my all purchases were redeemable...

Please post a snap of the deck...We will be able to tell you if all is well....

The major issue is that sellers / flippers like these with their half baked knowledge, they do a botch job that makes any further repair difficult and sometimes impossible...:mad:

If I were in your shoes, I would talk to the seller and ask for a full refund...

Last edited:
For that he need to respond to calls or messages.

I am very sorry to hear this...Sellers like these should be named and shamed for what they do..I too have heard /read such horror stories but thankfully my all purchases were redeemable...

Please post a snap of the deck...We will be able to tell you if all is well....

The major issue is that sellers / flippers like these with their half baked knowledge, they do a botch job that makes any further repair difficult and sometimes impossible...:mad:

If I were in your shoes, I would talk to the seller and ask for a full refund...

After paying an insane price with assured goodies and extra belts none arrived till date.

sounds like the gentleman from mysore - I was promised some extra belts, but was sent some random square belts (cd player type) when I followed up, was told the right belts would be sent, which never happened. Thankfully at least the piece i received was in working condition, except rewind not working - which was stated up front, but was in fact a trivial fix

- would you like to clarify who it is ?

sounds like the gentleman from mysore - I was promised some extra belts, but was sent some random square belts (cd player type) when I followed up, was told the right belts would be sent, which never happened. Thankfully at least the piece i received was in working condition, except rewind not working - which was stated up front, but was in fact a trivial fix

- would you like to clarify who it is ?
It's the same guy :)

Also the Reel to Reel which I brought came with a belt glued like a tyre puncher.

wow you must be kidding...Belts are the absolute bear minimum stuff that is needed to get the deck going....You can't put a jugaad in there...I assume that you got the reel to reel from the same person..
This is certainly a new low

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back