Native panel refresh rate vs Clear motion rate (CMR) ?

soumyajitpaul92

For a couple of months i've been trying to find a decent tv that fits well into my budget as well as doesn't compromise on the PQ front.

Anyway, i've selected a few but still not sure which one to go with hence seeking your kind expertise. :)

Samsung 40F6400 (primary choice) - 67k

Samsung 40F6100 (secondary choice) - 59k

Sony 42w650 (idk why i'm adding this one :S , anyway)

i have demoed the 40f6400 for some time and to be honest i was very impressed. dont have much knowledge about black level and stuff, bt it was pretty black and contrast was good. But the thing that really caught my eye was the motion handling of f6400. Haven't demoed the f6100 cause they didnt have one in display. i had demoed one f5500 earlier today and played a couple of my downloaded 1080p cips, and it was shit compared to f6400. f5500 wasnt bright at all plus it was like sd quality picture.

Now the thing is that whats the difference between CMR 400Hz vs 200Hz of f6400 and f6100 respectively. Both of them have 120 Hz native panel refresh rate. So is it worth the price if im willing to go with f6400 or should i settle with f6100?

And lastly, how is sony 42w650 compared to these two models?

will primarily be using for HD playback so my main concern here is hd performance. source of hd contents are downloaded 1080p and 720p movies :D

samsung models played 1080p mkv dts file flawlessly where the w650 failed to play the mkv files. so with the samsung models i think i'll save a few grands on media player and willing to spend that on a bluray player instead. so yeah, kinda confused.

will be looking forward to your valuable inputs. Thanks :D

Last edited:
CMR is about refreshing TV's Backlight and no actual frame rate.

According to Samsung its:
Backlight technology: Samsung's backlight regulates output precisely in synchronization with the screen refresh to lessen the time it is lit, reducing ghosting and motion blur.
Clear Motion Rate: A New Standard for Motion Clarity | Samsung Articles & Insights

So if both f6400 and f6100 have same native panel refresh rate of 120Hz, then of course 400 will be better than 200 in numbers:licklips:

Is it worth 8K?
1. If you can feel a minute difference and can afford then go for it.
2. If you can feel minute difference but can't afford then dont go for it.
3. If you think 8K is not worth then again dont go for it.

That's because practically it will be difficult to judge a difference and also depends upon person to person.

Last edited:
Thank you guys for your quick but valuable inputs. Much appreciated :clapping:

so i'm assuming i can strike off sony w650 from my list?

f6400 it is then :eek:hyeah:

Hey Soumya,

Hope you are enjoying your F6400!
Just for your info, the 6100 does not have any smart TV features which both the 6400 and the 5500 have.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back