Need a reliable 40/42/ Inch TV

I have gone for LG 42LK450. It was available in Reliance Digital, got it at 37.2K. Topped it up with a 2 year extended warranty from Reliance Digital which costed me another 4K. Happy with the purchase so far, and the picture quality is excellent when viewing movies from Hard Disk.

Only thing am disappointed with, is the picture quality of Cable TV ; when comparing it with my earlier CRT. Picture appears to be less sharp, which can be compensated to an extent by watching it in the 4:3 mode with vertical side bars. However there is always a very faint, whitish scrolling bar moving top to bottom. No such problems when watching movies from USB.

My set top box is from local cable operator, and it has got only AV out. So my questions is how much of improvement can I notice with SD channels if am going for DTH like Airtel/Tata Sky which will have HDMI port? While searching the forum, I have seen some threads which suggests that the improvement in Picture Quality many not be very much.

yes next week for sure- not sure which one i would go for.

I checked the viewing hours once the demo guy came by - it showed 12 hrs - which is correct .

I collected the wall brackets from him - will install it later.
he had recommended for some extended warranty costing 4k...- should i be going for it ??

How did you check the viewing hours on LG LCD tv ? I cannot find it.

I have gone for LG 42LK450. It was available in Reliance Digital, got it at 37.2K. Topped it up with a 2 year extended warranty from Reliance Digital which costed me another 4K. Happy with the purchase so far, and the picture quality is excellent when viewing movies from Hard Disk.

Only thing am disappointed with, is the picture quality of Cable TV ; when comparing it with my earlier CRT. Picture appears to be less sharp, which can be compensated to an extent by watching it in the 4:3 mode with vertical side bars. However there is always a very faint, whitish scrolling bar moving top to bottom. No such problems when watching movies from USB.

My set top box is from local cable operator, and it has got only AV out. So my questions is how much of improvement can I notice with SD channels if am going for DTH like Airtel/Tata Sky which will have HDMI port? While searching the forum, I have seen some threads which suggests that the improvement in Picture Quality many not be very much.

HD Set-Top-Box is the solution as it is connected to ur TV using HDMI so better results are expected

HDMI will also improve your SD quality a bit..........so you will see a difference. Remember these tv's are made for HD and that is what they excel in.

supporting every point of kix mentioned I want to add,consider the points and if then you still want to buy 40 incher....consider lcds than plasma..
reason---although I am proclaimed plasma lover and strat a fight anytime who says plasma picture is not superior.....than led or lcd...and are crazy about those super bright leds.........
but in your case specific usage I recomend a toshiba 40 incher at 40k or sony 40 incher lcd at 47k....as yours only use channles.so plasma used to have a image retention problem..and there will be continuous channel logos(although one single channel does not play more than may be 5 hours max)..considering the fact that those problem are absent in todays modesl due to cont R & D....still is a mtter of concern..if you think.
you switch to lcd.

but yes for movies there is no led..yes no led except very very hi end can match up the picture quality like plasma picture.it gives movie theater like picture where leds will give you tv series like picture even from a movie source...

now plasma shd be your choice as this is a single investment and you may want to watch a movie in a holiday sometime

you give it a thought.

42LG457c purchased @ 37k its an LCD

Then go with Videocon D2H or Tata Sky

apologies - i dnt really knw hwthis wrks.
1) can i get this frm my regular existing cable operator or do i need to reach out to a specific dealer
2) videocon - is it good? does it hv all the HD Channels
3) Wts the average cost like per month or the whole set up
4) its 200 /- per month for my regular cable tv- that comes through a wire-

How is the sound quality of LG 42LK450? is it good enough or do you feel the need of extra speakers?

apologies for the delayed response - i was on travel - will provide the step by step screen shot soon - stay locked

I figured this out sometime back itself. Actually it is quite easy to find this out on my LG model. Select the 'Menu' option, and you should be able to see a 'red bar' titled 'Customer Support' in the bottom right corner. Press the red button on your remote and it takes you to the Service Menu, where you can see the 'Used Hours'.

How is the sound quality of LG 42LK450? is it good enough or do you feel the need of extra speakers?

Sound quality is decent for me; not too great and not too bad. I am not looking to buy extra speakers right now; but may consider after few months of usage.

I figured this out sometime back itself. Actually it is quite easy to find this out on my LG model. Select the 'Menu' option, and you should be able to see a 'red bar' titled 'Customer Support' in the bottom right corner. Press the red button on your remote and it takes you to the Service Menu, where you can see the 'Used Hours'.

bingo- wt does it show?

Sound quality is decent for me; not too great and not too bad. I am not looking to buy extra speakers right now; but may consider after few months of usage.

thanks for the reply, do you know whats the difference between 450 and 457c models? both seem to be priced around 38k.

to be honest - i dnt knw the diff between 450 and 457c - i guess 457c is latest so should be better :) - check with the dealer- wts the diff and then purchase - lol

How is the sound quality of 457c you own? is it good enough or do you feel the need of extra speakers? Also did you find out the difference between 450 and 457c models?

thanks for the reply, do you know whats the difference between 450 and 457c models? both seem to be priced around 38k.

How is the sound quality of 457c you own? is it good enough or do you feel the need of extra speakers? Also did you find out the difference between 450 and 457c models?

honestly - i dnt knw the difference i think 457c may just be the upgraded version with a small diff.

i think the sound clarify is fine.Although my hall is kinda big and with all the windows and doors open and with kids making all the - i dont really hv to keep @ very high volume.doesnt hv to go more than 8-9 at any given time.

during the extrme quiet times like in the nites its @ 6-7 and even with the distance of 8ft + the sound is pretty clear.

my cousin is going some analysis of sea waves and he had played a video on my tv- and i must say the sound was crisp. sometimes i think its the source/input that matters.speakers are the same in all tvs - lol

apologies for the not so technical silly elaborate decription

honestly - i dnt knw the difference i think 457c may just be the upgraded version with a small diff.

To me, LK457C is the commercial TV model whereas LK450 is branded as consumer TV. There is a similar discussion in AVS forum.

Mostly all the features listed in the specs between both the models looks similar especially for panel, audio and video. But feature wise, there are some minor difference. Like the hotel guest related features like USB cloning, welcome screen, anti theft , multi IR code is not present in the LK450 model which I took.

Similarly I am not sure about the number of HDMI ports etc in the LK457 as this information is not listed in the spec, but the LK450 has 3 HDMI ports. There is also an 10 point picture calibration 'expert' settings within the LK450 model; in addition to the standard picture settings. mipurush can possibly tell if these settings are present in LK457C. Might be also good to check if the USB supports all video formats. So far, whatever video formats I have tried to play from my Hard Disk, LK450 has supported all those.

apologies - i dnt really knw hwthis wrks.
1) can i get this frm my regular existing cable operator or do i need to reach out to a specific dealer
2) videocon - is it good? does it hv all the HD Channels
3) Wts the average cost like per month or the whole set up
4) its 200 /- per month for my regular cable tv- that comes through a wire-
why are you still using cable tv after getting a good Full HD LCD? your LCD and eyes deserve better than that, Get an HD DTH, it will cost around 3k for all companies HD DTH box and you will get one month free service then pay according to your desired plan but keep in mind that these will be expensive when compared to your present cable tv.

Also, i have been doing DEEP DEEP research about HD DTH and will like to share with you the result :) Videocon D2H has the most HD channels 22 when compared to 10 HD channels of tata sky and still videocon works out the cheapest for both HD and SD channels which is the reason behind the fastest growth in few months for videocon d2h, here are the package plans for HD+SD channels: Videocon D2H Packages | DTH Package | DTH Channel Packages | DTH Price | D2H Recharge

i think the sound clarify is fine.Although my hall is kinda big and with all the windows and doors open and with kids making all the - i dont really hv to keep @ very high volume.doesnt hv to go more than 8-9 at any given time.

during the extrme quiet times like in the nites its @ 6-7 and even with the distance of 8ft + the sound is pretty clear.

my cousin is going some analysis of sea waves and he had played a video on my tv- and i must say the sound was crisp. sometimes i think its the source/input that matters.speakers are the same in all tvs - lol

apologies for the not so technical silly elaborate decription

Actually i prefer non-technical description more than the technical and your description is much more useful than long tech speak, so thanks for the post.

To me, LK457C is the commercial TV model whereas LK450 is branded as consumer TV. There is a similar discussion in AVS forum.

Mostly all the features listed in the specs between both the models looks similar especially for panel, audio and video. But feature wise, there are some minor difference. Like the hotel guest related features like USB cloning, welcome screen, anti theft , multi IR code is not present in the LK450 model which I took.

Similarly I am not sure about the number of HDMI ports etc in the LK457 as this information is not listed in the spec, but the LK450 has 3 HDMI ports. There is also an 10 point picture calibration 'expert' settings within the LK450 model; in addition to the standard picture settings. mipurush can possibly tell if these settings are present in LK457C. Might be also good to check if the USB supports all video formats. So far, whatever video formats I have tried to play from my Hard Disk, LK450 has supported all those.

thanks for the info, you have nailed it, both are basically the same LCD and there might be just some minor difference in settings due to consumer vs commercial difference but the main point is that commercial LG LCDs come with 3 yrs warranty and i would prefer to get 3yrs warranty if possible. LG 42LK457C Technical Specifications | LG Australia

So, mipurush, please try and find about the warranty details of your LCD.

why are you still using cable tv after getting a good Full HD LCD? your LCD and eyes deserve better than that, Get an HD DTH, it will cost around 3k for all companies HD DTH box and you will get one month free service then pay according to your desired plan but keep in mind that these will be expensive when compared to your present cable tv.

Also, i have been doing DEEP DEEP research about HD DTH and will like to share with you the result :) Videocon D2H has the most HD channels 22 when compared to 10 HD channels of tata sky and still videocon works out the cheapest for both HD and SD channels which is the reason behind the fastest growth in few months for videocon d2h, here are the package plans for HD+SD channels: Videocon D2H Packages | DTH Package | DTH Channel Packages | DTH Price | D2H Recharge

Actually i prefer non-technical description more than the technical and your description is much more useful than long tech speak, so thanks for the post.

thanks for the info, you have nailed it, both are basically the same LCD and there might be just some minor difference in settings due to consumer vs commercial difference but the main point is that commercial LG LCDs come with 3 yrs warranty and i would prefer to get 3yrs warranty if possible. LG 42LK457C Technical Specifications | LG Australia

So, mipurush, please try and find about the warranty details of your LCD.

Its 1 yr Warranty - 3 HDMI Ports.plays even mkv

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back