Need a reliable 40/42/ Inch TV

mipurush

Hello Team ,

with so many options i hate to step into any showroom to even for a demo.
The available choices really strains my bird brain.I need your support in helping me narrow down to the model numbers and i will just go and buy the damn thing - lol My specifications are below.

1)Main SPECIFICATION - I like big size so i need a tv that is a minimum of 40/42 Inch.I don't want bigger than 42 as the budget will continue to rise.And i wont buy a 32 Inch.
2) My Budget - as per the market.I cant limit myself of 30 K when i need a 42 Inch TV.As per the market price for any TV of 42 Inch is fine.
3) I don't watch much TV at all.
so It doesn't matter to me if my TV can connect to internet or not.whether it is 1D/2D/3D//4D/or 5D.because one has to sit with the silly glasses to get the feel of the effect.i neither have the patience nor the time.
4)viewing distance is 4 or 5 vitrified tiles - i guess it should be 8 ft only
5)there are two windows on either side of the wall and the main door opposite to the TV Stand.
6) I cant really make any difference between FHD or HD.
7) We use normal cable TV connection at home.if required i can change to dish TV or tata sky or simply a set top box at the minimum if required.
8) I don't understand the smart functions
9) It doesn't matter if it wi-fi ready.
10) i as a common man cannot differentiate PQ.what panel it uses etc etc.to me all look the same.
11) i just need a product that doesn't fail or has any defects.I really cannot afford the run around(calling the CC or dealer and so on and so forth)
12) Any make cheap and best value for money would suit me.Looking forward to your recommendations.
13)LCD/LED/PLASMA any thing will do for me as long as its VFM.
Not to forget- best recommendations provided will be rewarded.let me know if you need any further info. :)
I am from ECITY Bangalore - also please let me me know which dealer i should buy it from or which dealer i should avoid.

My apologies if i sound blunt but I know i m really dumb - unfortunately i need to make a decision urgently to pick one from ocean of TVs :)

Looking forward to your continued support.you guys really R.O.C.K !!

Last edited:
^+1.......
its panasonic semi hd plasma for you 42 inch at around 36k.......3 years panel warranty.may also try full hd at around 45k....but at 8ft u wont need....
blind choice.grab it.
dont wory that its 36k u may think its not with feutures or like that.....belive me its with all feutures u need.hdmi connections,usb port etc etc.....
but u will need a hd set top box to fully enjoy the picyures in hd channekls like star movies hd/movies now hd/star gold hd.

if dont like the plasma color.....your choice is toshiba 40 inch lcds at around 40k.....

42X50 price in Bangalore is 44K, and most of the showrooms don't have it in stock.

LG 42PA4520 & Samsung 43E470 are other two choices. LG is priced at 39.5K when i checked this week (it was 36.5K last month), I don't know how much is Samsung price now.

Panasonic comes with 3 year warranty, so it will be the most VFM in my opinion. LG and Samsung comes with 1 year warranty. There is an option to go for AMC with LG, but that will cost 7.4K for additional 2 years.

I see that most dealers have increased the prices after Independence Day offer. Don't know if the dealers will have any better offer during Ganesh Chathurthi festival which is around the corner. :licklips:

stick to sammy or panny if its a plasma...I mean to say lg is not bad but dont know they have a cont r and D in plasma...whereas sammy and panny do has it

42X50 price in Bangalore is 44K, and most of the showrooms don't have it in stock.

LG 42PA4520 & Samsung 43E470 are other two choices. LG is priced at 39.5K when i checked this week (it was 36.5K last month), I don't know how much is Samsung price now.

Panasonic comes with 3 year warranty, so it will be the most VFM in my opinion. LG and Samsung comes with 1 year warranty. There is an option to go for AMC with LG, but that will cost 7.4K for additional 2 years.

I see that most dealers have increased the prices after Independence Day offer. Don't know if the dealers will have any better offer during Ganesh Chathurthi festival which is around the corner. :licklips:

brilliant - so its boiled down to just 3 then -
1) LG 42PA4520 2) Samsung 43E470 3) panny 42X50.
let me check this out today

very nice and wise choice
I want to add also try semi hd models of 42 inch plasma sammy or panny.u may like it at a lesser cost.as a t a 6 ft distance its not possible to differentiate betwwen full hd and semi hd.also full hd contents are only original br disks which are going to be played very rare...so semi hd at a less cost is worth a demo.

stick to sammy or panny if its a plasma...I mean to say lg is not bad but dont know they have a cont r and D in plasma...whereas sammy and panny do has it

I am fine with LCD/LED or plasma- for me its just the size of the TV that matters and the price.so biggest in the lowest possible cost.
As i dont watch TV on most occasions rather dont get to watch tv.my 1.5 yrs old son watches rhymes all the time - if he is awake the rhymes are being played on TV.When he is asleep my mom takes over the regional channel.
i get to see late hours when i am about to hit bed - which is like 15/20 mins a day.my wife doesn't even get that 15/20 mins - lol

I am fine with LCD/LED or plasma- for me its just the size of the TV that matters and the price.so biggest in the lowest possible cost.
As i dont watch TV on most occasions rather dont get to watch tv.my 1.5 yrs old son watches rhymes all the time - if he is awake the rhymes are being played on TV.When he is asleep my mom takes over the regional channel.
i get to see late hours when i am about to hit bed - which is like 15/20 mins a day.my wife doesn't even get that 15/20 mins - lol

so semi hd is for you brother as u said mostly sd channles......dont waste money on full hd.
and i mentioned sammy or panny rather than lg as to secure durabilty of the tv.since in plasma tech sammy and panny has a cont R & D....

Last edited:

43E470= 39.6 K
lg 42pa4520 = 41k - can get discounts- guess all are around the same price range +/- 1 or 2 k...so its fine.
the durability is my major concern.As long as it has no problems- seems its a good price

so semi hd is for you brother as u said mostly sd channles......dont waste money on full hd.
and i mentioned sammy or panny rather than lg as to secure durabilty of the tv.since in plasma tech sammy and panny has a cont R & D....

i am really happy now- atleast i hv narrowed down to 2 model

43 E470 and TH-P42X50
I called up panasonic in koramangla 4th blk 100 ft rd and spoke to mr rajni- 44k is wt he is offering

panny used to have last year even 42X30 i think...semi hd and 36k..see if can find that...that is i think discontinued..otherwise full hd at 44k is not also bad....sometimes in weekend you may enjoy a movie along with your home minister
sammy model at 39k is also a very good deal.

i am really happy now- atleast i hv narrowed down to 2 model

43 E470 and TH-P42X50
I called up panasonic in koramangla 4th blk 100 ft rd and spoke to mr rajni- 44k is wt he is offering

srry this was yest

i called just few mins back and someone else picked it up and they say P42X50 has been stopped and they can give me P42Xt50 for 48 super final price- damn

panny used to have last year even 42X30 i think...semi hd and 36k..see if can find that...that is i think discontinued..otherwise full hd at 44k is not also bad....sometimes in weekend you may enjoy a movie along with your home minister
sammy model at 39k is also a very good deal.

not sure if both these models still continue to be in market- i will close on which ever is avaialble - for 1 or 2 k i dnt wnt to delay it - wt say.

any pointers on samsung company owned brand shops?

First, If your TV watching time is so less, why do you wish to spend so much on a TV? Why flat panel?

Second. Nowadays, TVs are getting upgraded every year. It was not so during the days of CRT. So any high spend today (and considering previous point), I feel that you will not get VFM.

Third. You watch 15 mins max, your wife not even that, you mom watches regional TV (which is SD only) and your son is too young to appreciate HD :D :) Your viewing distance is about 8 feet. Although 40-42" is good, why not consider 29" CRT? CRT is best suited for watching standard definition (SD). Actually, even 21" is good enough for you. And I am assuming that you already have a CRT (21" or 29").

As time passes, your sone will grow older. In about 6-8 years, you will be able to prioritize better. At that time, perhaps you and your wife will have more time (?????) to watch more TV. Your son will be older. At that time a large screen TV will do justice. Better technology (OLED?) will be available at that time.

So in my humble opinion, you should not buy a TV now. Discuss this with your wife and arrive at a decision. Do not fall into the "neighbours/relatives have the latest flat screens, so I must have one too" syndrome.

But if you have decided, then you should choose between Samsung 43E470 or Panasonic 42X50. Both are plasma models. The reason why I am recommending plasma is because of the VFM factor. LCD models will also be available in the 40k range but will come nowhere close to matching plasma PQ, colour accuracy, black levels, and other such factors. Some LEDs will definitely be better than the two suggested models such as Sony 40HX750/40HX850, Samsung 6/7 Series, LG LM6600 and above series but will be twice as costly.

First, If your TV watching time is so less, why do you wish to spend so much on a TV? Why flat panel?

Second. Nowadays, TVs are getting upgraded every year. It was not so during the days of CRT. So any high spend today (and considering previous point), I feel that you will not get VFM.

Third. You watch 15 mins max, your wife not even that, you mom watches regional TV (which is SD only) and your son is too young to appreciate HD :D :) Your viewing distance is about 8 feet. Although 40-42" is good, why not consider 29" CRT? CRT is best suited for watching standard definition (SD). Actually, even 21" is good enough for you. And I am assuming that you already have a CRT (21" or 29").

As time passes, your sone will grow older. In about 6-8 years, you will be able to prioritize better. At that time, perhaps you and your wife will have more time (?????) to watch more TV. Your son will be older. At that time a large screen TV will do justice. Better technology (OLED?) will be available at that time.

So in my humble opinion, you should not buy a TV now. Discuss this with your wife and arrive at a decision. Do not fall into the "neighbours/relatives have the latest flat screens, so I must have one too" syndrome.

But if you have decided, then you should choose between Samsung 43E470 or Panasonic 42X50. Both are plasma models. The reason why I am recommending plasma is because of the VFM factor. LCD models will also be available in the 40k range but will come nowhere close to matching plasma PQ, colour accuracy, black levels, and other such factors. Some LEDs will definitely be better than the two suggested models such as Sony 40HX750/40HX850, Samsung 6/7 Series, LG LM6600 and above series but will be twice as costly.

:)
Samsung 43E470 or Panasonic 42X50- this ganesh chaturthi

supporting every point of kix mentioned I want to add,consider the points and if then you still want to buy 40 incher....consider lcds than plasma..
reason---although I am proclaimed plasma lover and strat a fight anytime who says plasma picture is not superior.....than led or lcd...and are crazy about those super bright leds.........
but in your case specific usage I recomend a toshiba 40 incher at 40k or sony 40 incher lcd at 47k....as yours only use channles.so plasma used to have a image retention problem..and there will be continuous channel logos(although one single channel does not play more than may be 5 hours max)..considering the fact that those problem are absent in todays modesl due to cont R & D....still is a mtter of concern..if you think.
you switch to lcd.

but yes for movies there is no led..yes no led except very very hi end can match up the picture quality like plasma picture.it gives movie theater like picture where leds will give you tv series like picture even from a movie source...

now plasma shd be your choice as this is a single investment and you may want to watch a movie in a holiday sometime

you give it a thought.

Last edited:
Samsung 43E470 or Panasonic 42X50- this ganesh chaturthi

Panasonic 42X50 would be better :) is it one of the, if not the best entry level plasma tv!! If you were comparing the older X30 then I would have suggested Samsung. But with the new 2012 X50 things have greatly improved.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back