need help for choosing home theater room

rahulsood

:confused::confused:hello friend
I need some serious adv for planning my home theater room.
To begim with i live in delhi and love watching movies, listen music and games.
i have following setup
1. denon 2310
2. jamo 607
3. xtreamer media player
4. play station 3
5. samsung 650 b 46inch

i have this system in room which is 12 x 22 feet. the room is simple without any treatment. i am uploadin two pics of this room. confusion bout this room is that it has boundary of bout 1.7 feet in midway as you can notice in the pic. M y question is this will this interfere with listening as i am planning to give some room ecoustic treatment.
also some costruction is goin on and i am building other room i am uploading other two pics also. this room is still under construcI want suggestion which room shuld i choose for my home theater with above setup one room is 12x 22 (with 1.7feet wall in midway) other is 16x12.tion. I can also use room as my home entertainment room but its small as orignaly i was planning it as to be my bedroom. its size is 16 x 12 feet.

please adv

Attachments

• 23032010244.jpg
    23032010244.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 133
  • 23032010245.jpg
    23032010245.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 129
  • 23032010246.jpg
    23032010246.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 130
  • 23032010247.jpg
    23032010247.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 129
  • 23032010248.jpg
    23032010248.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
12x16 isnt small, and since its in construction I would suggest using that instead of the 12x22 as you can do it from ground up. Wiring for rear and everything. And given your freedom with budget, you should be able to achieve quite a nice setup. Also the 1.5ft pillars dont help with the sound.

Last edited:
+1 to Corelement's suggestion for making your new construction as your entertainment den as here you have the option of starting from the scratch rather then fiddling with your existing room.

12X22 with mid way wall can give a glamour look with bar type of arrangments. And it will look nice.:)

I believe if the 12x22 room is not an living room and it is only an Room, then it can be done with your taste. Midway wall will not affect your hearing provided you take some good opinions/ placements of speakers and also some treatments to your room. Addition of 4 feet will make lot of difference to your eyes and ears.

However if you dont want to disturb the present setup and can sacrifice your earlier thought bedroom, without any hassles it can be done with all the required stuffs hidden/ acoustic.etc.. Nearabout size is 12x15 - our member santhosh has put in his residence and you can check his thread and can take his advice for DIY.

Regards

Last edited:
Like others have adviced, choose the 16 x 12 if you are gonna be doing room treatment, decoration etc simply because you can start from the scratch and change plans even now. My HT Room is also similarly sized at 15.5ft x 12.5ft. This size is considered small abroad but am happy with the results considering I could not make it larger because of structural limitations.

The new room in the making is indeed a better proposition.

Do it up carefully.
You can plan and run all the wires in the wall acoustically design it.
You can just get the walls plastered and rest you can put the boards & fabric on the walls with any acoustic treament that you want to do.

Add to this indirect lighting that you have in theaters, it should finally come up as a perfect home theater !

Go for it.

thanks for suggestion.
Even i was also thinking of starting with scratch. but was thinking room will be small for my setup. anyways i have read lot bout treating room acoustic but didnt unterstand enough. i have learned bout the materials that come but didnt knoe where shuld and how much to use. i have asked for professional held but they were demanding lot of money which i cannot support. any body here can tell me how much it will gonna cost me for 12x16 room. i have posted the pics of room above. and please guide me what should i do next in the room.
again i thnk all of you for giving your valuable advice

I am also planning to get fibre optic star field lighting but dont know who in delhi istall it and how much this gonna cost me..

Rahul:

Regarding room acoustics, people like Santhosh have done the acoustics themselves, and he has posted a very detailed thread showing step by step what he has done. If I remember right, he has also mentioned material and prices.

I addition there are a number of threads in forum on AV Enhancers & Room Acoustics. .

George's thread also discusses prices in some detail.

Cheers

thanx for suggetions. i have decided to make the new room my ht. I have decided to make it libit bigger. thinking of increasing it by another 3 4 feet so dimension of it will become 12 x 20 feet height is 9 feet. any suggestion welcome. i have got window at rear end i know most of people here wuld not advice it but want it. So kindly advice want can i do with this window for example sliding window door which can be slide over when i want my open or i can use thick curtain etc please advice

Last edited:
Hello Rahul,

It is nothing like having a dedicated room for movies, music and related. For watching movies, room length more the bigger is great, a better respect for the projector and screen.

If one gets an opportunity to start the room working from scratch, then one can not ask for anything else.

V.

Rahul,

Rahul, about treating the room through professionals, i suggest keep away from them, there are enough members here who can take you through in a better way.

V.

i have asked for professional held but they were demanding lot of money which i cannot support. any body here can tell me how much it will gonna cost me for 12x16 room. i have posted the pics of room above. and please guide me what should i do next in the room.
again i thnk all of you for giving your valuable advice

Last edited:
Rahul,

I believe you have a very long and tough road ahead in making the room, forget about these lights at this point of time.

V.

I am also planning to get fibre optic star field lighting but dont know who in delhi istall it and how much this gonna cost me..

Rahul,

I strongly advocate to remove the window for sake of benefits, there will be other rooms in your house which will have windows you can catch up your craze for them there.

If you still want to use the windows, you can go for acoustic curtains.

V.

thanx for suggetions. i have decided to make the new room my ht. I have decided to make it libit bigger. thinking of increasing it by another 3 4 feet so dimension of it will become 12 x 20 feet height is 9 feet. any suggestion welcome. i have got window at rear end i know most of people here wuld not advice it but want it. So kindly advice want can i do with this window for example sliding window door which can be slide over when i want my open or i can use thick curtain etc please advice

Last edited:
Hello Sidharth,

Indeed indirect lights are a good way to go forward, i have done the same. Such lights are more important for people who have smaller room lengths and for the one's who watch movies very regularly like Aneer.

V.

Add to this indirect lighting that you have in theaters, it should finally come up as a perfect home theater !

Hi Vijay bhai,
I merely suggested the same assuming that this shall be purely an AV room hence cove n ambient lighting creates the mood and also in a way is pleasing and calming.

I hv those in my HT as well 16x22 an does fairly well for us.

Wishes

Hello Sidharth,

Indeed indirect lights are a good way to go forward, i have done the same. Such lights are more important for people who have smaller room lengths and for the one's who watch movies very regularly like Aneer.

V.

thanks again
i have now decided to do all the thing myself. well as for windows i will keep them i know they wont help much. i will use thick curtains to cover them up. thanks for suggestion vinay. after 4-5 days poles will come out then i will plan cables and installed them by electrician and try to get that back door out and will be increasing the length of room by another 3 -4 feet.
I thank you again vinay and sid for giving me suggestion and will require your continue support as i am new know nothing :D

also as i know nothing i am tryin to get some useful downloads ( article and books) which can guide me step by step in making of theater. i am downloading AVIVA GUIDE TO HOME THEATER DVD now, which is 4.2 gb in size. please suggest any other book or article which can guide step by step.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back