Need help in assessing whether my Panasonic Plasma TV can be saved

rahulsnh

Problem: Vertical lines on screen
Panasonic Plasma TV model: TH-P50V20D

I've attached below youtube links of similar issues, which say that changing the buffer board, TXNC311QEK50 can rectify the issue. However, Panasonic personnel have discouraged me from pursuing that solution, stating that my plasma panel itself has developed defect. Repeated attempts to get someone from Panasonic to visit for inspection has failed.

The buffer board is not available in India, but is available in UK & US. Before I get myself through the tedious process of importing one, I thought that I will check on this forum. Can someone tell by looking at attached pic of screen whether the TV is in recoverable state or Panasonic personnel indeed have accessed correctly by looking at the pic attached below.

Vertical lines on my TV screen:
TV.jpeg

Picture of buffer board taken from my TV back panel:
BufferBoardInMyTV.jpeg

Links of youtube video showing how to rectify the line problem:

Last edited:
I have seen YouTube clips of chip level servicing tweaking or taping ribbon cables. I have a Samsung 48" TV which had horizontal lines and I did a youtube replica by bringing in a chip level computer motherboard repair guy to do the same. It reduced the lines but not still viewable as a TV. So I put it as a CCTV which it serves the purpose properly. I even own multimeter but will never dare do it myself.

I have seen YouTube clips of chip level servicing tweaking or taping ribbon cables. I have a Samsung 48" TV which had horizontal lines and I did a youtube replica by bringing in a chip level computer motherboard repair guy to do the same. It reduced the lines but not still viewable as a TV. So I put it as a CCTV which it serves the purpose properly. I even own multimeter but will never dare do it myself.
interesting ... thanks for your input

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152073978808
UK cost 15£, shipping around 30£, customs 45£ so a total 90£. Will turn out to be say 10,000 INR
A replacement TV will cost 60K so the cost of experiment is a sixth
Time lost maybe around 1 month
Also there is a risk that custom does not clear it, which will mean 4,500 INR sunk
Well I would rather suggest as well to move on its not worth the hassle, unless you had someone carrying it with them. Not just customs but even a slight defect will render this hassle and wait useless.Don't forget the roughness with which these items are handled in freight and in customs. Start planning for a new tv or live with it buddy. You can still pack it away and order the part to restore later when more feasible.

Well I would rather suggest as well to move on its not worth the hassle, unless you had someone carrying it with them. Not just customs but even a slight defect will render this hassle and wait useless.Don't forget the roughness with which these items are handled in freight and in customs. Start planning for a new tv or live with it buddy. You can still pack it away and order the part to restore later when more feasible.
I like the idea of pack it away and try restore when costs can be managed with someone carrying it. Thanks for it. Hopefully, when pandemic is done with.

or do you want to open it and check for loose connections as shown in the last video?

Never know you might get lucky. :)

or do you want to open it and check for loose connections as shown in the last video?

Never know you might get lucky. :)
I have already done all that the videos suggest, except getting the replacement part. However, Panasonic support personnel has been conspicuous by their unwillingness to visit to inspect. They started on fees from Rs. 600 for visit to 1100+GST; yet never cared to visit. I'll not buy another Panasonic.

Last edited:
Which city are you in ?
If possible show it to a local tv repair shop with a good rating.
These guys repair TV's on a regular basis and can guide you best.
But get a estimate before you let them try anything. I suggest keeping it around 5k for a old tv.
Dont try to repair it yourself unless you are experienced or dont mind the tv going totally bust . Take photos of the present picture quality before handing over , for comparison post repair.

My Panasonic Plasma has developed some masking issue like some smear on the screen which I noticed in 2018, but does not impact the viewing except on close scrutiny.
A Pana tech and some other techs who examined suggested it was time to move-on.
But as the TV has been functioning well so far except for the above mentioned issue, I still have it as the main TV with a fire TV stick for content.

In between did check on some modern TVs, but they just do not stand up to the clarity or smoothness or the realism of the Plasma, maybe my eyes just have gotten tuned to it over the decade of viewing on it.

@rahulsnh for 10k I think it is a good bet to try if the panel has no other issues if you prefer the Plasma clarity, else better to switch to a new one.

Problem: Vertical lines on screen
Panasonic Plasma TV model: TH-P50V20D

I've attached below youtube links of similar issues, which say that changing the buffer board, TXNC311QEK50 can rectify the issue. However, Panasonic personnel have discouraged me from pursuing that solution, stating that my plasma panel itself has developed defect. Repeated attempts to get someone from Panasonic to visit for inspection has failed.

The buffer board is not available in India, but is available in UK & US. Before I get myself through the tedious process of importing one, I thought that I will check on this forum. Can someone tell by looking at attached pic of screen whether the TV is in recoverable state or Panasonic personnel indeed have accessed correctly by looking at the pic attached below.

Vertical lines on my TV screen:
View attachment 61670

Picture of buffer board taken from my TV back panel:
View attachment 61671

Links of youtube video showing how to rectify the line problem:
Where are you located? I am about to scrap my tv and can donate the board.

Which city are you in ?
If possible show it to a local tv repair shop with a good rating.
These guys repair TV's on a regular basis and can guide you best.
But get a estimate before you let them try anything. I suggest keeping it around 5k for a old tv.
Dont try to repair it yourself unless you are experienced or dont mind the tv going totally bust . Take photos of the present picture quality before handing over , for comparison post repair.
I'm in Ahmedabad currently. Someone suggested to try local repair shop but I've not been able to build confidence. Frankly 5K is small compared to risking the TV. But, I think I should take the risk.

My Panasonic Plasma has developed some masking issue like some smear on the screen which I noticed in 2018, but does not impact the viewing except on close scrutiny.
A Pana tech and some other techs who examined suggested it was time to move-on.
But as the TV has been functioning well so far except for the above mentioned issue, I still have it as the main TV with a fire TV stick for content.

In between did check on some modern TVs, but they just do not stand up to the clarity or smoothness or the realism of the Plasma, maybe my eyes just have gotten tuned to it over the decade of viewing on it.

@rahulsnh for 10k I think it is a good bet to try if the panel has no other issues if you prefer the Plasma clarity, else better to switch to a new one.
Smoothness of Plasma is the reason why I'm so stuck on this TV. Had there been a plasma replacement available in market, I would moved on much more easily. 10K is not risk free. Getting a electronics board through custom inspection may spoil the 10K and the board, making the bet a pretty bad one. With a board gone bad, I won't know know whether the board is at fault or TV, if the new board fails to work. That's the reason why I agreed with @jagmarg so readily.

Back