Need help in Deciding the components for my HT

Raghuram

Hi,

I am new to this forum and I enjoyed a lot seeing pics of some great home theatre set up that many of you have! I am almost at the verge of finalizing my HT set up (mini). (This is going to be paired with my PC & MAC and no TV as such. And I will be using this for 50% Movies and 50% Music.)

Options that i have with me as of now -

Speakers are going to be B&W M1 - 5 Speakers
Sub Woofer Options that I have,

1. B & W ASW 608
2. Velodyne CHT-8EQ
3. Velodyne CHT-10 EQ

I am trying to take 7.1 Amplifiers, so I can upgrade by adding 2 more speakers in the future. Following are the amp options I am considering.

1. Denon AVR 1912
2. Marantz SR 5006
3. Yamaha RX 671

The room i am going set this up is small. I will be moving this to a medium sized room in a few months.

I would appreciate if you can help in nailing down to the best combination that i can go for with these requirements.

Hi,

I am new to this forum and I enjoyed a lot seeing pics of some great home theatre set up that many of you have! I am almost at the verge of finalizing my HT set up (mini). (This is going to be paired with my PC & MAC and no TV as such. And I will be using this for 50% Movies and 50% Music.)

1. B & W ASW 608
2. Velodyne CHT-8EQ
3. Velodyne CHT-10 EQ

I am trying to take 7.1 Amplifiers, so I can upgrade by adding 2 more speakers in the future. Following are the amp options I am considering.

1. Denon AVR 1912
2. Marantz SR 5006
3. Yamaha RX 671

The room i am going set this up is small. I will be moving this to a medium sized room in a few months.

I would appreciate if you can help in nailing down to the best combination that i can go for with these requirements.

i don't recommend Denon, I don't know about marantz. But yamaha 671 is a good choice, make sure it has video upconversion. Onkyo 609 can also be considered next to yamaha.

Speakers, B&W is good with 12gauge wire. you can also audition wharfedale 9.5/9.6 or 10.5 from Vector Systems, near brigade towers, bangalore.

don't forget to add stabiliser(mine is v-guard 1.2kw-4700Rs) & spike buster.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips about the stabiliser and the wire gauge. I am purchasing this from Vector Systems only. Balachander @ Vector was very helpful and I auditioned few other combinations too.

Appreciate if I can get more opinions / suggestions from more people :)

i don't recommend Denon, I don't know about marantz. But yamaha 671 is a good choice, make sure it has video upconversion. Onkyo 609 can also be considered next to yamaha..

Any specific reason buddy ?
How does Yammy score over Denon.

I think Denon has best auto calibration feature..... any insight will be helpful

cheers

Any specific reason buddy ?
How does Yammy score over Denon.

I think Denon has best auto calibration feature..... any insight will be helpful

cheers

I don't think you need auto calibration everytime, once the setup is done, I will not prefer to fiddle with them frequently, instead I use the option to lock the setup. Yamaha has got the dynamic power and many other things too. More over I see that yamaha is made in malaysia where as Denon is made in china (I checked this in germany).

When you buy the receiver, take a USB along with the software update and do it at the shop itself and see if its working after that. This is what i have done.

I don't think Dealers in India would let you do that.

I agree. And 007 is mentioning dynamic power is something available in yamaha, can you elaborate what is that? is it the peak music power? All receivers have a certain value for this dynamic power range, nothing new in yamaha.

My bad, the B&W M1s are not available in black and the distributor has no clue as to when the next stocks will arrive.

So! I am considering the following, def tech pro monitor 1000, pro centre 2000, pro sub 1000 / velodyne cht 10 eq / super cube iii & denon 3312.

The pro cinema 1000 does not come with the pro centre 2000, so considering taking these individually.

If some one can give the suggestive price for the def techs it would be very helpful, so I can make my buying decision.

PS: I have posted the price enquiry on the price list thread too. I am hoping to get good suggestions from folks here

Thanks,
Raghu

Hi,

1. B & W ASW 608
2. Velodyne CHT-8EQ
3. Velodyne CHT-10 EQ

1. Denon AVR 1912
2. Marantz SR 5006
3. Yamaha RX 671

Marantz, Denon and Onkyo would be my pick.........though denon would be my fav pick. Yamaha makes some very good receivers but more hi end. For entry/mid level you cant beat any of the three. If your listening is catered more for music then Marantz would be the best choice. I have a similar setup...........have hooked up my imac to my denon receiver and also to my 50inch tv.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back