Need Help in deciding TS 4k or Videocon 4k D2h ?

Hi everyone

Will be Ordering LG 42UB820T ( 4K30p , HDMI 2.0 , HDCP 2.2 ) which will be delivered this Wednesday and now I'm very confused which DTH i need to go with Videocon or TataSky.

Which has the best HD quality, is it true 1080p and regarding 4k channel is it upscaled or direct ? Will there be any content after WorldCup matches ?

my TV supports 4K HEVC 30p. How much difference will it be when compared to 4K HEVC 60p.

1. My vote would go to TataSky
2. There is no 'true' 1080p source in India other than Blu-rays. All HD channels in India are either 1080i or 720p.
3. The 'UHD' channel is actual 3840x2160 resolution and not upscaled.
4. I am quite sure that TataSky will offer at least one UHD channel post World Cup. Whether the content will be worth it, might be a question mark.
5. The TV's ability to decode HEVC is irrelevant as far as DTH is concerned. The HEVC decoding is done in the DTH set-top box and not in the TV. The relevance of the TV's HEVC decoding ability is limited to the USB input and the direct streaming via internet or local network.

Last edited:
1. My vote would go to TataSky
2. There is no 'true' 1080p source in India other than Blu-rays. All HD channels in India are either 1080i or 720p.
3. The 'UHD' channel is actual 3840x2160 resolution and not upscaled.
4. I am quite sure that TataSky will offer at least one UHD channel post World Cup. Whether the content will be worth it, might be a question mark.
5. The TV's ability to decode HEVC is irrelevant as far as DTH is concerned. The HEVC decoding is done in the DTH set-top box and not in the TV. The relevance of the TV's HEVC decoding ability is limited to the USB input and the direct streaming via internet or local network.

Thank you for the info but what i read is that Videocon 4k D2h STB are giving 1080p channels instead of 1080i,

There is no 'true' 1080p source in India other than Blu-rays. All HD channels in India are either 1080i or 720p.

Thanks Sanjay. But Yes as the OP, even I want to know this very aspect more than anything. Is the UHD box actually receiving regular HD channels in 1080p from back end or is it receiving 1080i and simply upscaling them to 1080p ? Please let us know.

On a side note - with a 42" TV, unless you are sitting at about 6 feet - the impact of 4k will be minimal I would think :)

Thank you for the info but what i read is that Videocon 4k D2h STB are giving 1080p channels instead of 1080i,
Thanks Sanjay. But Yes as the OP, even I want to know this very aspect more than anything. Is the UHD box actually receiving regular HD channels in 1080p from back end or is it receiving 1080i and simply upscaling them to 1080p ? Please let us know.

Sorry to disappoint you, but whether a channel is 1080i or 1080p is determined by the channel itself, not by the DTH company and most certainly not by the set-top box. All the Videocon 4K D2H STB is doing is upscaling the
signal to 1080p, which your TV already does. In fact your TV will most likely do a much better job of this upscaling than any STB costing a few thousand rupees. The only time there will be any benefit of the 1080p output of the STB is when watching the UHD (4K) channel on a HD (1080p) TV.

PS: I repeat. NO channel in India broadcasts in 1080p. All HD channels in India are restricted to 1080i or 720p. The only source for true 1080p video in India is blu-ray.

Last edited:
On a side note - with a 42" TV, unless you are sitting at about 6 feet - the impact of 4k will be minimal I would think :)
There really is no real benefit of extra resolution of UHD on a 42" TV viewed from any normal viewing distance. Having said that, might I add that there is still some benefit to the extent of a wider color space and that at least one would be assured of a picture, in the case of the UHD channel, that is at least as good as 1080p which in the normal course we don't get from HD channels in India.

There really is no real benefit of extra resolution of UHD on a 42" TV viewed from any normal viewing distance. Having said that, might I add that there is still some benefit to the extent of a wider color space and that at least one would be assured of a picture, in the case of the UHD channel, that is at least as good as 1080p which in the normal course we don't get from HD channels in India.

Gone with Videocon D2h 4k and 49"850T. the TV needs to arrive yet so connected it to my AOC 27" monitor, but when i compared my friends tatasky HD (32") to mine i can clearly see D2H having better quality looks like they are broadcasting in 1080p.

unless you are sitting at about 6 feet - the impact of 4k will be minimal I would think
AYlgpr

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back